How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-12-2011
fashion icon

Lolz Joan is there because of Carine, not because of affirmative action. Before this Karl has shown absolutely no interest in Joan; not booking her for any shows, including Fendi and Karl Lagerfeld or shooting her for any campaigns or editorials. There's probably about 30 girls Karl would rather have used for this campaign before thinking of Joan, including other black girls like Jourdan or Mia Aminata Niaria, but obviously Carine's influence is strong.

22-12-2011
Looking Up

This is a nice change. For once it is what it is. It doesn't pretend to be something else. The collection definitely had an airy feeling to it, so this is kinda natural for it.

22-12-2011
backstage pass

^^ and you know that he would rather have used these other girls because?... oh yea, i forgot you and Karl are best friends and share each others' secrets... Anyway super proud of Joan and this campaign looks good for a Karl shoot.

23-12-2011
®

^ LOL haha it's common sense dude. Joan isn't really a Karl fave prior to booking Chanel S/S 2012 so it does not take much to deduce that Carine's influence bought her to this ad.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelo View Post
^^ and you know that he would rather have used these other girls because?... oh yea, i forgot you and Karl are best friends and share each others' secrets... Anyway super proud of Joan and this campaign looks good for a Karl shoot.
i'm sorry, but if you are one of Joan's biggest fans then you would realize that Joan has not bee a part of anything Karl has done, and that Joan lovers include Carine Roitfeld and Mert & Marcus. I think we should just leave it at being happy that a girl with our skin tone has been casted for such a high profile campaign and looks amazing, regardless of how she got there...

23-12-2011
MON
V.I.P.

The second shot looked better in better quality but still not working

front row

I'm not biased because I don't like her, I'm not crazy about the photos. And cant mention how many times I've seen people complain about how he hasn't cast a black model in a while. And how do you know if he wanted her there? Its obviously known that Joan s less of Karl's choice and more Carine's.

23-12-2011
front row

Great for Joan the campaign is ok nothing groundbreaking.

23-12-2011
backstage pass

Not bad,I'm happy for Joan

23-12-2011
fashion icon

i dunno why, but I like it a lot. simply smart, natural and classy

23-12-2011
backstage pass

Glad to see more mature (but still fresh, new to the scene) models being used this season. This campaign is SO stunning. Saskia and Joan look so great together, two of the most charismatic models out there, there's no way this could've gone wrong. And it didn't. Best campaign of the season so far for me.

fashion icon

Although Carine most likely suggested Joan, Karl has the final say. The feeling had to be mutual from all parties involved. And who knows, sometimes it takes meeting a model in person to see their true potential. This was Joan's first season walking for the house, and maybe after Karl finally met her, he became smitten. She is known to be a great networker, so maybe she won him over with her Latin charm? The bottom line is that people need to stop saying that Joan is only getting jobs because of certain people (her agency, Carine, M&M, etc.). She deserves it just like Saskia, and nobody is pushing for her any harder than the other top models.

Moving on- I definitely think this is the best from Karl in a while. The only thing he is good at photography wise is the simple B&W images. As long as he keeps it simple, the campaign will be a success.
Posted via Mobile Device

24-12-2011
rising star

The styling is awful other than that I like it.

24-12-2011
tfs star

Originally the campaign should have been Saskia and Claudia Schiffer, somebody or something definitely changed opinions right before shooting. Would have loved to see that combination though.
Anyhow, it turned out pretty Riefenstahl-classic, I approve.

Last edited by Vitamine W; 24-12-2011 at 04:56 PM.
24-12-2011
tfs star

hate the shoes in the first post !
but the suits are pure Chanel love them

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, brauw, chanel, joan, karl, lagerfeld, s or s, saskia, smalls