How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2004
V.I.P.

Christian Dior "J'adore" Fragrance : Charlize Theron
Quote:
PARIS (Reuters) - Actress Charlize Theron has signed a contract with Christian Dior to be the face of its bestselling perfume J'adore, pitting her against fellow Oscar winner Nicole Kidman who will launch a similar campaign for Chanel.

Theron is due to star in print and television advertisements for J'adore starting in the autumn, a spokeswoman for Parfums Christian Dior said on Friday.

She could not provide details of the contract, but trade publication Women's Wear Daily (WWD) on Friday quoted industry sources as saying the South African actress had signed a three-year deal worth between $3 million and $5 million.

Theron won this year's Oscar for best actress for her performance as serial killer Aileen Wuornos in "Monster," a role which required her to put on weight and wear heavy make-up that rendered her almost unrecognizable.

The former model is the latest celebrity to sign an advertising deal with a major fashion label, a trend which industry watchers say reflects public fascination with the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Hilary Swank, another Oscar winner, headlines underwear ads for Calvin Klein while starlets Scarlett Johansson, Diane Kruger and Chloe Sevigny star in Louis Vuitton's autumn campaign.

Kidman earlier this year signed a contract reported to be worth millions to become the face of Chanel's legendary No 5 perfume. The advertisements were shot by fellow Australian Baz Luhrmann, who directed Kidman in the hit musical "Moulin Rouge."

The Dior campaign starring Theron was a collaboration between photographer Nick Knight and rebel British designer John Galliano, who has revolutionized the image of the label with extravagant and provocative catwalk displays.

But satisfaction brought it back

13-08-2004
front row

Charlize is gorgeous but another model losing a job to an already rich actress

13-08-2004
front row

It's appropriate that Nicole Kidman would represent a Dior product, since one of her most iconic fashion moments was in Galliano's satin fur-lined dress- it literally moved the red carpet parade in an entirely new direction.

Charlize Theron is a beautiful. luscious woman, but her style bores me. It's very safe.

What interests me is this... "pitting her against fellow Oscar winner Nicole Kidman who will launch a similar campaign for Chanel. "
How are they now pitted against each other? How is this a competition? Such melodrama...

13-08-2004
trendsetter

Why must celebrities sign advertising deals with major fashion labels.

13-08-2004
V.I.P.

This really does not belong in the designers and collections forum. there is a star style or supporting cast forums.

13-08-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

i'm sorry but there is nothing glamourous about charlize; beautiful, undoubtedly, but glamour...nah

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 14 2004, 06:11 AM
i'm sorry but there is nothing glamourous about charlize; beautiful, undoubtedly, but glamour...nah
[snapback]331333[/snapback]
Thought so too. Undoubtedly she's gorgeous, but she doesn't really exude that star-quality glamour.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by luvkoshi@Aug 13 2004, 03:46 PM

Charlize Theron is a beautiful. luscious woman, but her style bores me. It's very safe.

[snapback]331070[/snapback]

agreed. her Acadamy Award dress was so cookie cutter red carpet it was almost sad to watch.

27-08-2004
Team Elise

Charlize For J'adore Dior Perfume
PARIS (Reuters) - Actress Charlize Theron has signed a contract with Christian Dior to be the face of its bestselling perfume J'adore, pitting her against fellow Oscar winner Nicole Kidman who will launch a similar campaign for Chanel.

Theron is due to star in print and television advertisements for J'adore starting in the autumn, a spokeswoman for Parfums Christian Dior said on Friday.

She could not provide details of the contract, but trade publication Women's Wear Daily (WWD) on Friday quoted industry sources as saying the South African actress had signed a three-year deal worth between $3 million and $5 million.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3eonm.jpg (18.0 KB, 597 views)

27-08-2004
V.I.P.

It's a pity they're constantly changing the face of the J'adore perfume. Frist Carmen, then Tiuu and now Charlize.

Nobody will ever be able to replace the image of Carmen for J'adore.

The least I can say is that they slightly changed the "concept" instead of making Charlize sit EXACTLY like Carmen and Tiuu. But this ad can't compare to the two previous one. Looks sortof "cheap".

Charlize got a "commercial" face, but not the kind that's fit for "haute couture". Maybe it's just me, but she's way better off with L'Oreal Paris. She doesn't look right in this ad. I would have prefered seeing someone maybe a bit less "popular" like Chloe Sevigny or a MODEL... I am so tired of seeing actresses doing ads that were destinated for MODELS.

27-08-2004
The mod squad

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Aug 27 2004, 09:45 AM
I agree!

Team Elise

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Aug 28 2004, 12:45 AM
so true...

27-08-2004
LMK
front row

I also agree but maybe not Chloe she comes across to cold to me. Anyways I don't like his ad, it doesn't look right I think it's the way she is sittng with her head back. It does nothing for me

27-08-2004
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

at least i prefer this one ti tiiu's it has some sort of marylin monroe thing going on

Unveil Yourself....

Though I think the ad looks great I do mind the fact that there's an actress instead of a model. I always prefer models over actresses or popstars but even more so now with Vogues return to models and all that. I see that as sort of a signal to the world of entertainment to do what they are best at and let the models do what they are best at: ad campaign. But I don't think lots of consumer will care that it's Charlize Theron, basically because they don't know who she is (at least here in Europe, only a hand full REALLY know who it is) and neither do they know any of the big models so....

twitter.com/ErikP87
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charlize, christian, dior, fragrance, jadore, theron