How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2009
tfs star

^ yes, but MM characters wear 50s inspired looks, since the producers claim that the new fashions would not be adopted that easily at the beginning of a decade. Especailly by business circles. The costumes will change obviously, I expect them to, at least this season now, but the first two have been very conventional 50s still.

I feel completely the opposite way. I think it is the concept that is really off-point and redundant. 50s, or 60s... whatever it may be... Do we really need a revival through some handbag ad to sell the same tired purse since forever? How many times do we have to see the same thing from Dior: 'lady-like dressing?... well, let me give you Parisian 50s!' Galliano is in a rut.

The execution, for that theme, is fine. A woman is walking around in cities, running away from bad men, and all her life she happens to fit in a fabulous(!) purse. They hired an actress, some director, good PShop people. They did all that they could do. It is what it is. But like Karl says, it doesn't matter how much money it costs or how many hours you put in. If the result is lousy, it is lousy.

18-08-2009
fashion insider

^I'm going to wait to see it in high-res before I comment on how Marion actually looks.
But I agree that the ad itself is pretty underwhelming.
Those behind the scenes shots were pointing towards a more rustic toned down setting with a huge pop of red which would have been quite beautiful.
I'm just really surprised looking between those shots and the final ad - as the two are completely different? And the right side of the ad is literally disconnected.
I don't really get it.
I think the first shot with the eiffel tower was attention grabbing and definitely worked...but I don't think there needs to be a major landmark in every campaign to convey what city Lady Dior is supposed to be in?
I just hope there's some more ads - as Vogue28 said - the picture of her reclining on the couch could be beautiful.

19-08-2009
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha View Post

I feel completely the opposite way. I think it is the concept that is really off-point and redundant. 50s, or 60s... whatever it may be... Do we really need a revival through some handbag ad to sell the same tired purse since forever? How many times do we have to see the same thing from Dior: 'lady-like dressing?... well, let me give you Parisian 50s!' Galliano is in a rut.

The execution, for that theme, is fine. A woman is walking around in cities, running away from bad men, and all her life she happens to fit in a fabulous(!) purse. They hired an actress, some director, good PShop people. They did all that they could do. It is what it is. But like Karl says, it doesn't matter how much money it costs or how many hours you put in. If the result is lousy, it is lousy.
I think it's better to do something retro inspired rather than to carry on that slimy overly photoshopped 00s look that Dior was stuck with for years. So in that sense they're on the right track.

Young people these days aren't as crazy about things being fresh and new as they were in the 80s and 90s....people like a bit of nostalgia for things they never even experienced...it's natural since it's only in the last 10 years that vintage stuff has been readily accessible for everyone.

Oh, the 50s inspired theme could have been done much better. Hiring an actress, director and technicians isn't all it takes to make a good campaign....it takes some inspiration as well. That's definitely lacking. They are trying to connect to the great years for Dior, but it has failed. None of the magic is there and that is because they have no vision, no spark, no imagination....by the looks of it, anyway.

19-08-2009
tfs star

I can´t see any of the pictures posted on pae 9

Madeleine Vionnet.
19-08-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by j´adore dior View Post
I can´t see any of the pictures posted on pae 9
Oops I exceeded my bandwidth. They'll show up again in a few days.
Otherwise you can always just go straight to the source quoted underneath? Not hard.

19-08-2009
tfs star

^ I already did. thanks dear!

Madeleine Vionnet.
01-09-2009
V.I.P.

hq from exacteditions

01-09-2009
V.I.P.

I like the new shot from Numero.

01-09-2009
fashion insider

Even after seeing the new ad in HR i'm still so underwhelmed.
Looking at those behind the scenes images in comparison to how the ad actually turned out makes me want to cry. It could have been totally beautiful, instead they airbrushed one of the world's most naturally beautiful woman almost beyond recognition. Not to mention 'placing' her in front of the NYC skyline like that.

27-09-2009
V.I.P.

HQ's

zinio.com

27-09-2009
backstage pass

i prefer the red ones, because in the black ones the photoshopping is so conspicuous....

27-09-2009
backstage pass

Amazing!I exactly have no words to say...Marion is perfect for Dior!!!!!!

27-09-2009
windowshopping

I really like the concept of this ad, and I love the bags

27-09-2009
trendsetter

Love her. She is very Dior. Her and Charlize Theron

16-10-2009
front row

OMG!
I have been seeing this ads practically in every magazine since they came out, but it was just today I noticed something if you look at the pics cul8r posted, in the second row, the picture in the middle, where Marion is holding a mirror, with the Dior handbag on the table.. You can see there's a book in the bag, and it is J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" I'm 100% sure since I have the same exact edition!
Just thought I'd share since it's basically my all time favorite book. EVER!
Besides, I love Marion for Dior!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
christian, cotillard, dior, handbags, lady, marion