How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2006
front row

^^ I agree 100% with oolie coolie. *karma*

08-07-2006
JEM
rising star

I agree that black and white people are not on a equal footing. I agree that black people still suffer tremendously, and don't always have the same advantages as white people. And like oolie said, it is very important to realise this. But I find it is also important to realise that something should actually be done, instead of keeping the same mind frame. And a first step in the right direction woud be for people to see, just see in the beginning, these "races" on an equal footing. That is what I meant by that comment.

I know of course that sadly this is far from being the truth, but it won't change drastically, it has to change slowly. But if our views of people change, so will our behaviour, over time. If the ad had been with two white people, dressed in white and black, or two black people, noone would be having this discussion. So why can't we just see it like that, or try to at least. Segregation is obviously much less stronger than it was, but it is still very present, and both sides have to make an effort to change that.

chaos reigns

This add is a bit risky and its borderline of acceptable ... hum ... not sure about what to say!

fashion insider

This is turning into a racism discussion thread but anyway here are my last words regarding this topic. If you guys continue and view it as discrimination, arn't you guys being racist as well for acknowledging that one character is a minority group and not giving it a chance to be viewed simply as two equal people representing the playstations?

09-07-2006
V.I.P.

No.

Everything has a context. You don't deny the reality of the context. It would be highly insulting to pretend that the differences, the history, the societal problems do not exist.

I want my race to be acknowledged. I want it to be acknowledged that where I live, my race is the minority. That is important.

(It's the same thing with men and women. To make the world more accepting of women as equal, should we assume men and women are treated equally? No, that wouldn't make any sense. We would first acknowledge that men and women are treated differently.)

Last edited by oolie coco; 09-07-2006 at 12:32 AM.
09-07-2006
JEM
rising star

Yes, but nowadays, we are able to see women in the workfield, even voting, things that weren't allowed not very long ago. And today, women voting is accepted, differences stil exist in the workfield, but they are getting smaller and smaller, and we have very strong and powerful women in high positions. These things just wouldn't have existed years ago.

Anyways, I think I have tried to make my point come accross, this is only my opinion, but I think we can all agree that something has to be done to change the situation.

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

well its not gonna be playin anywhere near the US and UK! Its only going to be kept in Holland and Sony insists that its not a racist ad. I posted a link on my blog that shows the other versions of the ad will try and look for it

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkalicious
This is turning into a racism discussion thread but anyway here are my last words regarding this topic. If you guys continue and view it as discrimination, arn't you guys being racist as well for acknowledging that one character is a minority group and not giving it a chance to be viewed simply as two equal people representing the playstations?
ubfortunately the ad doesnt portray these people as equal

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphrosyne
^ They can't really make another ad like this for the black one as the PSP initally only came in black. Now they're adding a white version hence the ad. I heard its marketed for Europe? I doubt a random European would notice the "racial undertones" to be honest. A lot of peopple have been wanting a white version (maybe because of the iPod stuff) so I can understand why they would make such an ad. If it were to be put up in America though it'd be a different story.
Obviously. That wasn't the point. This is part of a planned marketing strategy, and they could have chosen to launch both black and white, and while the white version would have been the big thing, being a new "color" for Sony and all, the black would still be present and shown as "superior" in its own right. It is quite simple to envision another slogan for a black new version as well, which could complement the white one. They could have done that to undermine the strange vibes of the ad, it would have helped, it really would...

The Europeans will notice the racial undertones, believe me. In Sweden they could probably be charged for a campaign like this.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 09-07-2006 at 04:48 PM.
09-07-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa
Obviously. That wasn't the point. This is part of a planned marketing strategy, and they could have chosen to launch both black and white, and while the white version would have been the big thing, being a new "color" for Sony and all, the black would still be present and shown as "superior" in its own right. It is quite simple to envision another slogan for a black new version as well, which could complement the white one. They could have done that to undermine the strange vibes of the ad, it would have helped, it really would...

The Europeans will notice the racial undertones, believe me. In Sweden they could probably be charged for a campaign like this.
Yeah its a pretty weird ad...

I'm from Sweden and I actually didn't notice anything until someone pointed it out..maybe I'm just dim

09-07-2006
|/mirror queen\|

I agree with Urban Styling in the sense that it´s their expressions that make the add seem a bit too much.
I also agree that if you are not a racist or see racism as an issue in this add, you won´t make a racist reading of the image.

If you just see the persons in the add as "2 playstations" (which obviously they´re not) you can´t see that much controversy, although personally, since it was pointed out, i can´t seem to see it as innocently as if it wasn´t pointed out to me.

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphrosyne
Yeah its a pretty weird ad...

I'm from Sweden and I actually didn't notice anything until someone pointed it out..maybe I'm just dim
Really? Have you spent a lot of time in Sweden the last 10 years then? Because there's a lot of censoring of insensitive ads here.

10-07-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

A lot of controversy could have been avoided if they had just used to people of the same race. Asians perhaps!

11-07-2006

Well, I guess the bottomline is: Sony got the controversial reactions they wanted, which in turn generates more publicity (Even if it's negative) for the product. Horrid method, IMO, but good strategy...

12-07-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa
Really? Have you spent a lot of time in Sweden the last 10 years then? Because there's a lot of censoring of insensitive ads here.
you know whats funny? I left Sweden just about a decade ago so maybe I dont have a good grasp on the their attitudes there ..I dont think its fair to say that a governments stupid decisions are the accurate representation of the masses. Do you think most Swedes actually want those Ljungan CK ads removed?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ad, controversial, psp, sony