How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2006
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphrosyne
you know whats funny? I left Sweden just about a decade ago so maybe I dont have a good grasp on the their attitudes there ..I dont think its fair to say that a governments stupid decisions are the accurate representation of the masses. Do you think most Swedes actually want those Ljungan CK ads removed?
What a coincidence Well, I think their decisions reflect that there is at least an important minority who takes offense. Plus, some evening papers bring up these issues and talk about them at length, which they wouldn't do unless someone was interested....Ah, certainly, the majority of people frequenting Stureplan wouldn't mind his gorgeousness plastered all over the place. But as for the majority...I don't know.

15-07-2006
V.I.P.

Wow! I usually think political correctness is a load of crap but this is beyond...this is awful, what were they thinking?!

15-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma
A lot of controversy could have been avoided if they had just used to people of the same race. Asians perhaps!
I totally agree!

15-07-2006
V.I.P.

Im still trying to gather my thoughts regarding this advert. I dont think it was intentionally meant to be racist, because let's be honest, even if Sony was racist don't you think they're smart enough not to let anyone on? I just think it was an attempt by a rouge advertising exec to be edgy and push boundaries, boundaries which aren't ready to be pushed. I personally don't see anything WRONG with it, I, like Jem, originally saw it as two people.

Well, I, for one, appreciate the styling. It's superbly styled, very cool looking.

20-07-2006
Diamond

Here are the other ads from the "White is Coming" campaign:

joystiq.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sony_whiteiscoming_web_1.jpg (40.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg sony_whiteiscoming_web_3a.jpg (34.0 KB, 41 views)

~Madeleine Albright
20-07-2006

^Ah, so there is context! Perhaps they should've included all the images somehow in one image...then again, it probably would've lost its element of controversy.

20-07-2006
Someone's at the door

^ So Sony's now joined Guess, Gucci and countless other lines of advertisers in the "faux lesbian" scenarious we've all come to love and adore.

Honestly, I dispise its unoriginality more than anything else.

21-07-2006
trendsetter

i dont feel that the ad is controversial. i personally dont take it as something offensive. it's just the contrast of the ad. white psp and black ones. i think people are just blowing it out of proportion. =/

21-07-2006
princely

well, now that there is a second ad. I guess cased closed?

21-07-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_attak
i dont feel that the ad is controversial. i personally dont take it as something offensive. it's just the contrast of the ad. white psp and black ones. i think people are just blowing it out of proportion. =/
I agree.

It's so boring that people always come up with "oooh this is racist!!" or "ohh watch out, somebody might think this is racist!!".
Only their brain is on racist mode and not the advertisements. We should turn a page finally..

23-07-2006
front row

The following ads really save Sony. Alone, the first ad looked blatantly racist, but with the others, there is atleast some context...

Those ad's are still weird for a portable video game though

Last edited by breathe.couture; 23-07-2006 at 04:31 PM.
27-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphrosyne
^ They can't really make another ad like this for the black one as the PSP initally only came in black. Now they're adding a white version hence the ad. I heard its marketed for Europe? I doubt a random European would notice the "racial undertones" to be honest. A lot of peopple have been wanting a white version (maybe because of the iPod stuff) so I can understand why they would make such an ad. If it were to be put up in America though it'd be a different story.
i don't know if it has been underlined (oh it has been)...but this really schocks me!
do you really think european cannot understand this?! are you kidding?

the black PSP comes first. and white is after. but honestly i guess it's what the AD & publicists wanted : a controversy. this is so big!!
the white taking the head of the black girl being a bit agressive in her expression and the black girl being so "docile". ahahah. once again everyone jumps into it!

27-07-2006
trendsetter

I do think Sony is pretty stupid for releasing it. You'd have to be pretty dim to not suspect people will be offended by it.

But personally, when I looked at it I mostly noticed how the woman was pure white. That struck me as kind of otherworldly, and that it was just an artistic choice. One character is fully black and the other is fully white. I think the person who shot it was probably so comfortable with skin color that they didn't think it was offensive.

I think the expressions on their faces are appropriate. It's all about a new product, not slavery.

But in the end, I think they could have chosen something less touchy. I also think this thread shows that we're all not over racism yet. I'm not saying we should pretend we're not thinking about it, but it will take a long time for society to heal.

27-07-2006
trendsetter

I just looked at the ad again. I think that even though her face is being grabbed, her facial expression doesn't look entirely dominated. I might even push it to say that it's a slap in the face to just assume she isn't an empowered woman.

It may be insensitive to use their skin colors to portray a product, but it might also be the least racist thing I've ever seen. Why can't black and white woman fight?

Am I the only one who sees it this way? Don't bag on me please.

31-07-2006
rising star

i think they actually took advantage of the fact that people would "over react" or at least talk about this ad. mainly because racism is something quite delicate yet, as so is homosexuality .

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ad, controversial, psp, sony