How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-07-2006
Rebaptising my badness

- Apparently none of you has noticed the cross turned upside down around the white woman's neck. I think it says more about the ad and the intentions behind it than the colours themselves.

- There are three ads and the concept seems to be the confrontation of 'good' and 'bad'. The white woman represents the evil trying to overcome the good, but the good is the ruling power, hence the black background. Finally 'good', being a perennial force, defeats evil and proves its superiority and ability to evolve.

There, my two cents.

05-08-2006
front row

sony is smart, and are getting tons of attention.

07-08-2006
scenester

I don't see what the big deal is.
Is it supposed to be racist towards black people?
I personally, think the ad is cool. The two people cnotrast eachother amazingly.

07-08-2006
fashion icon

i remember seeing this on soompi
the person really didnt thought about the outcome..bad

08-08-2006
V.I.P.

wow.

i'm quite astonished by those ads, to say the least.

i'm astonished that they were given the "OKAY" by however many people are required to do such a thing for a huge SONY advertisement.

i'm also astonished that anyone could look at that ad and NOT see it in a racial context.

and funkaliscious -- your viewpoint is one of either "American Idealism" or just ignorance to American culture. sure, it would be fantastic to live in a world where there are no lines dividing people in terms of race/sex/sexuality, etc. however, we don't. and CERTAINLY not in America, where racism is still running wild and people are STILL dealing with it on a day-to-day basis. perhaps you live in a European country that has a different viewpoint on the issue, but for Americans it's just too idealic as of now to have this advertisement be taken as simply 2 people representing the playstations.

V.I.P.

ah. whoops!

i posted that response after only viewing page 1 of this thread...

erm ...

now i think that its just a sad and pathetic attempt of SONY to try and capitalize on some controversy.

hmmm... not sure actually. i'll have to think more. lol.

Push it to pop it!

Yes that first ad really annoyed me, however, after seeing the ads on page two, not so much. Perhaps they did that to cause controversy, or they just did not realize what some of the ads looked like on their own... because imo some of the ads are not as bad.

12-08-2006
V.I.P.

This ad is 'racist' because there are racist people and (almost) all people have prejudices. Thats why we see is a 'black' person and a 'white' person in those ads ands not 2 models who were cast because of the way they look (like all models do), there 'look' fits the ad, and not there 'race'. (I personally don't belive that there is something as race, we are all the same, but we look different because we evolved that way)

25-08-2006
windowshopping

I think the Ad has nothing to do with racism at all!
Through history, we have had so much rasicm and segregation and it has dissolved slowly through time, now, it doesnt make a difference. I think this signifies racial equality..."But how? the white chick is protrayed as the powerful one while the black model is being passive? HOW DOES IS THIS A SYMBOL OF RACIAL EQUALITY?"... Well, I think we are at a time where racial issues (especially between white and black) have been dissolved almost completely, Black people are not a minority anymore. So the taboo of tiptoeing around things like that shouldn't be problem anymore... I think what sony is trying to say is that "We live in a time where people wont say, omg! this is that protraying white people as superior to black people?, but its just "Oh the white chick resembles the hot new colour taking over the new one and the options are there". Nothing to do with racism, but is has everything to do with human diversity and it doesnt seem to be a generlazing label. Enjoy the creativity and genius of the ad, we don't live in ancient times anymore.

30-08-2006
windowshopping

I don't think that it was specifically supposed to be regarded as a black submission to the white but either way it certainly looks great as a contrast.

30-08-2006
fashion insider

They should have just had different clothes on, like somebody wearing white and somebody wearing black. OR they should have had like, them at least interacting as if one person wasn't better than the other. I do find this a little insensitive. I think that maybe the idea behind it was fundamentally clever but the execution is flawed, and this is coming from somebody who thinks political correctness has reached ridiculous levels.

05-09-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe.couture
^^ I agree 100% with oolie coolie. *karma*

I know you probably didn't mean it in THIS way, but given the racial matter of this thread, the coincidence is rather amusing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coolie&x=0&y=0

As far as the ad, if Sony didn't "notice" how the content might be offensive, they must be blind. If you want to create controversy, you feature Kate Moss' breasts, not racism. Shame on Sony.

front row

Understand one thing, they are selling game consoles and then ask yourself; how does the colour of a game console become the colour of people? How does the colour of a game console make it superior to a game console of a different colour that does the exact same thing?

When Apple started marketing its Black iPod there was no marketing it as superior to the White iPod because they both did the same thing, so why is the white PSP being marketed as being superior to the Black one and why use a Blond haired white woman grabbing the face of a desexualized masculine looking Black woman with an Afro? Also, notice the white woman is taller and bigger than the Black woman and looking down on her. This ad is espousing white supremacy even though we know white skin and white consoles are not superior to anything.

The irony in the ad is that we know that the White PSP will do the exact same thing as the Black PSP, making it its equal just as we know white people are not capable of doing anything Black men and women can't do.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ad, controversial, psp, sony