How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2009
V.I.P.

Seriously, when was the last time a mega brand Dior went without doing an ad campaign?

12-08-2009
V.I.P.

Wow Even that Dior campagns are not the best of each season, is sad that we don't have that campaign, I was starting to think that Maryna for some reason was going to be there ...

So that's it?? all major campaings are out.
Conclusion: I'm a bit dissapointed about this season's campaigns.. for me Lanvin was the Best even tho I don't really know the work of this georgeos model in it

12-08-2009
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
That quote concerns me...
When I read it, I felt - where is the passion for the Dior name itself? It sounded like he was reading from a business handbook about a transferable template for profit generation which could be applied to a company, any company.

In order to sell products based on values, you first have to define what the values of Dior are, but indeed, it is far easier to hire a celebrity.

clever ain't wise

Hmm...well...insiders probably saw this coming considering....

From the NYT:

Quote:
In March 1994, Toledano joined the Christian Dior Couture Fashion House as Director of the Leather Goods Division. He brought worldwide success to the brand with the launch of the "Lady Dior" bag in 1995. Toledano was promoted to Managing Director in charge of internationaldevelopment in January 1996.
More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/re...o.8409164.html

12-08-2009
V.I.P.

In terms of quality of the campaign it's really not a big loss. The Dior campaigns are prestigious, but boring as h***. They bring nothing to the table. It is of course a bad sign for the industry in general, though.

12-08-2009
boop

I think what irks me is that there are no new ideas. If the formula isn't working then what is the new formula? There doesn't seem to be one in this case - its just lets pimp out another ad with a celebrity in it. I don't really see where an iconic campaign image has been created - the current campaign is nothing special really, it borders on banal. There is no added meaning here.

12-08-2009
army of lovers

Honestly, Dior's collection campaigns have been lackluster for the past couple of years now, so them not doing one this season is fine with me. Their last great campaign was with Angela Lindvall and Nick Knight.

12-08-2009
clever ain't wise

^Precisely. Absolutely no meaning to those ads, just boring.

I'm hoping they'll save up their money, wait for ad costs to go down and reinvent their own pret-a-porter ads. Maybe they just put it all on getting Linda for the Galliano ads. Wild speculation

12-08-2009
V.I.P.

Oh,this is such a pity

no tom ford, no thanks.

it's time for toledano to go. he's ushering dior into fashion irrelevance. does he not understand that it's the outrageous runway and the spectacular campaigns that have anyone even THINK about the brand of dior. we love the history, but we have lots of defunct french houses with great history.

also, what model for no-advertising sales does toledano follow? i don't care how large or small of a market postion someone inhabits, you have to put your name out there to keep the customers you have and get the customers you don't. like, he's not selling computer parts here, he's selling image.

backstage pass

NOw the Problem is not about Dior not making campaign....

But Why is Dior losing profits even though its a big luxury group with shares in LVMH + big name????
are they losing so so so much profits that now they can't even afford an ads??????

i know Galliano is making bags that u can easily get at a department store

Last edited by Ghost; 13-08-2009 at 04:28 AM.
13-08-2009
V.I.P.

i know nothing about finances, business etc.
but i had check the LVMH stats of the 1st semester 2009 ...

all i can say is that LVMH hadn't see the crisis ... they even tiny raised their sells (comparing to 2008) ...
it seems Louis Vuitton made a big raise .... and in general, the fashion and leather goods of LVMH made a +8% (comparing to 2008)
in their fashion and leather goods paragraph they don't talk about Dior (at all), but they do A LOT in their perfumes and beauty paragraph ... it seems Parfums Dior made a lot of $$$ on all the 'iconic' and 'mythic' items ...
the small press file even entitle "Perfume and Beauty : A success for Mythic Perfumes"

In their perspectives, they say that the LVMH brands that have known the crisis will put all their effort in focusing and promoting the best-sellers (then I guess Dior Fashion hasn't made any increase !).

------------------
On the site of Dior, it is said that Dior Group hasn't made any increase !

Quote:
The Christian Dior Group recorded revenue of €8,137 million in the first half of 2009,
almost stable compared to the first half of 2008, despite the economic crisis and a high
comparable.
Profit from recurring operations stood at €1,358 million. The brands distributed by third
parties suffered a massive destocking impact by these distributors, but the brands, that control
their distribution, were much more resilient to the effects of the crisis. Louis Vuitton had a
remarkable first half of the year.
(in Euro millions)
Revenue 8,137 (First half 2009)* / 8,152 (First half 2008)
Profit from recurring operations 1,358 (First half 2009) / 1,542 (First half 2008)
Net profit 709 (2009) 974 (2008)
of which Group share 252 (2009) 352 (2008)

* -0.2% at current exchange rates and -7% at constant exchange rates and structure compared to the first half of 2008
Quote:
Christian Dior Couture
Christian Dior Couture’s half year revenues stood at €340 million, showing a decrease
compared to the first half of 2008 principally due to the slowdown in business activity in the
United States and in Japan, the markets of which are still feeling the effects of the economic
crisis. Revenues in Europe were resilient (particularly in the United Kingdom) and showed
strong growth in China. The Company continued its efforts at the operational level and
maintained its focused growth strategy.
(in Euro millions)
Revenue 340 (First half 2009)* 366 (First half 2008)
Profit from recurring operations 0 (First half 2009) 7 (First half 2008)

* -7% at current exchange rates and -11% at constant exchange rates compared to the first half of 2008
Quote:
2009 Outlook
In the current economic crisis, the Christian Dior Group will continue to gain market share
thanks to the numerous product launches planned before the end of the year, to its geographic
expansion in promising markets and to its cost management.
Our strategy of focusing on quality across our entire product range, combined with the
dynamism and unparalleled creativity of our teams, will enable us to reinforce, once again in
2009, the global leadership position of the Group in luxury products.
The Board of Directors of Christian Dior decided the payment on December 2, 2009 of an
interim dividend of 0.44 euro per share.
all quotes from http://www.dior-finance.com/en

13-08-2009
V.I.P.

Yes. The big sharks like the Dior haven't got any big decline which would force them to backtrack from a new campaign. This was a bull only. I wasn't surprised.
But thanks for the infos. Good to see it clearly.

Plain Ol' Beautiful

I don't think it's a question of money, but that Dior is moving to a much more mainstream direction with its advertising. People who can't spell Galliano own a Lady Dior bag.
For fashion fans like us that's highly disappointing, but there will be more and more brands that'll go where the money is, not the passion for the product. That surely won't hurt the finances, but in the end creativity in advertsing and on the runway, too, will suffer.
Aaaand those who love fashion and have the money, whether they go crazy daily or they invest in certain pieces, will have double takes at the designers...

clever ain't wise

^Oh, it will hurt the finances in the long run. As people have said here before, they are selling an image. Nobody wants a Lady Dior bag if there isn't a real lady Dior out there somewhere. People buy perfumes and accessories because they can't afford or look good in the clothes. If they had the money and figure, they would get the outfits.

Without the image of Dior as a prestigious (past and present) fashion house, nobody will be interested in that bag. Their strategy might work now and next year, but in a long term perspective, this approach is death to Dior.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, campaign, dior, f or w