How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2009
V.I.P.

I don't see the big deal. Who actually looks at a Dior ad with a nice bag or pair of shoes or whatever and actually goes and buys it?

13-08-2009
clever ain't wise

^Not sure I understand you correctly....but are you questioning the general principle of advertisement?

13-08-2009
fashion icon

oh no. damn recession

tfs star

dior is definitely not skimping on their advertising budget!!! a mega star, mega photographers, films ( plural!!!!).
i much prefer this route and it definitely links beautifully to the new dior image!

don't look down

But it's a bit like putting all your eggs into one basket - what about the people who don't care for Marion Cotillard? What about people who can't be bothered to watch her films? Are they going to make the effort to go to some website to deliberately watch a product placement film with her in it?

And concentrating on one product line - if someone doesn't like that product, are they to get the impression that Dior has nothing else to interest them? Because they're not being led towards much else, with this strategy.

The advantage of an ever-evolving campaign featuring different faces and a variety of items is that every season, you're bound to attract the interest of people who like something that they're seeing, and who may take their interest in the brand further as a result.

And the people who you didn't interest... you can get them a few months later with your next campaign. Tweak the visuals so that you're touching on something new, while still retaining the integrity of the brand.

Dior talks a lot about values but doesn't seem to know the definition of its own. And that insubstantiality is what they're then making these marketing decisions upon. If they had a super-strong sense of what the brand stood for, then selling the brand to the world would become a lot more fluent and successful. They'd be selling the concept of the universe of the brand, not concentrating on the idea of a handbag as toted by some actress.

With such heritage, such history, why is Dior reduced to this? And it's not the recession. It's business decisions which reach back further than the current downturn. And something which money can't buy - vision or the lack of it.

I'm not one of those I-just-die-for-fashion people - I'm not appalled by companies taking commercial decisions, and I'd rather read a book about accountancy than dream over Italian Vogue - so when I say this new direction seems nonsensical to me, it's nothing to do with personal attachment to the brand or wanting to see model X in the images, more a sense of puzzlement about why such a company would do this.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
^Oh, it will hurt the finances in the long run. As people have said here before, they are selling an image. Nobody wants a Lady Dior bag if there isn't a real lady Dior out there somewhere. People buy perfumes and accessories because they can't afford or look good in the clothes. If they had the money and figure, they would get the outfits.

Without the image of Dior as a prestigious (past and present) fashion house, nobody will be interested in that bag. Their strategy might work now and next year, but in a long term perspective, this approach is death to Dior.
i cannot agree with you more. they can only coast on established brand-ID for maybe a season, but in the absence of everything, it becomes a small niche operation that's unrecognizable. even the henry beguelins and delvaux of the world budget ad campaigns.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
But it's a bit like putting all your eggs into one basket - what about the people who don't care for Marion Cotillard? What about people who can't be bothered to watch her films? Are they going to make the effort to go to some website to deliberately watch a product placement film with her in it?

And concentrating on one product line - if someone doesn't like that product, are they to get the impression that Dior has nothing else to interest them? Because they're not being led towards much else, with this strategy.

The advantage of an ever-evolving campaign featuring different faces and a variety of items is that every season, you're bound to attract the interest of people who like something that they're seeing, and who may take their interest in the brand further as a result.

And the people who you didn't interest... you can get them a few months later with your next campaign. Tweak the visuals so that you're touching on something new, while still retaining the integrity of the brand.

Dior talks a lot about values but doesn't seem to know the definition of its own. And that insubstantiality is what they're then making these marketing decisions upon. If they had a super-strong sense of what the brand stood for, then selling the brand to the world would become a lot more fluent and successful. They'd be selling the concept of the universe of the brand, not concentrating on the idea of a handbag as toted by some actress.

With such heritage, such history, why is Dior reduced to this? And it's not the recession. It's business decisions which reach back further than the current downturn. And something which money can't buy - vision or the lack of it.

I'm not one of those I-just-die-for-fashion people - I'm not appalled by companies taking commercial decisions, and I'd rather read a book about accountancy than dream over Italian Vogue - so when I say this new direction seems nonsensical to me, it's nothing to do with personal attachment to the brand or wanting to see model X in the images, more a sense of puzzlement about why such a company would do this.
excellent post, agree on every point.

21-08-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by irulan View Post
What it comes down to is that Dior doesn't have anything worth advertising than a single bag.

That should give them something to think about.
Agree. And from the point of view of an ex-die-hard-Dior-fanatic, this is the explanation really for the loss of profits and publics' interest.

22-08-2009
front row

Pity. And very sad too. Considering how big Dior was some years ago.
They just need a new marketing team. And maybe new Creative Director. oops!

22-08-2009
tfs star

Quote:

Well I think it shows the importance of accessories. Focusing on a single bag seems worthy in comparison to focusing on an entire collection... I am sure Dior people worked out the numbers. It is kind of sad really.

My question is, why couldn't M.C. wear some of this season's clothing at the very least? Since they think Lady Dior is a bag above seasonal style and so very iconic that it is timeless, it should work just as well with this collection's garments as well as these dusty looking pieces. Like they presented it in the runway collection sans the tranny make-up and that cap of a hair.

22-08-2009
backstage pass

Quote:

I dont give a damn about Lady Dior Bags.......
years ago, they don't give a damn about this bags
now they are taking films,,,,,especially the process of making a lady dior bag...with hitting the leather with a hammer a few times here and there......stitching with a machine (i don't mind showing if its hand sewn).....
There is no such thing as "classic bags"....i believe its just a term coined by them
When they call it classic....it become classic....and all the school girls and desperate housewives run after them.......
Who wants a chanel 2.55 or whatsoever without all those ads and consistent reinforcing and branstorming the customers...

22-08-2009
clever ain't wise

^Hmm....to me it seems very far fetched that they would get any credibility as a fashion house from these ads.

That said, if they are focusing on the craftsmanship in the tv ads, that might be something....the quality of designer items have gone down in general....so pointing out the quality of this bag might be the one good thing about these campaigns.

22-08-2009
scenester

What the.....
Even Dior does this. I think Donna Karen is brave enough then...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, campaign, dior, f or w