How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-12-2008
teenage dream.

DKNY Jeans S/S 2009 by Scott Schuman
Quote:
The Sartorialist Shoots DKNY Jeans

From WWD yesterday

ON THE STREETS: DKNY Jeans hit the streets for spring. The brandís new ad campaign, conceived by Laird + Partners, was shot by Scott Schuman in his famous ďThe SartorialistĒ format. The ads showcase a mix of New York notables including Sean Lennon, Daisy Lowe, DJ Coleman, Luc Worrell and Chanel Iman. The campaign is a departure for the DKNY Jeans brand (which is owned by Liz Claiborne Inc.). Not only is this Schumanís first time shooting for the brand (and his first time shooting a major campaign), but the ads present the collection with one or two individuals in each image, rather than in the usual group format.

Patti Cohen, executive vice president of marketing and communications for Donna Karan International, said the campaign reflects everything that Karan thinks about when she thinks of denim. ďDonna always says that jeans are not about a season, but rather part of your skin, something you canít live without,Ē Cohen said. ďSo we wanted to make a personal statement about jeans and fashion and Scott seemed so perfect to shoot this. He brings such a freshness to street style.Ē

The ads each showcase an individual in a caught-on-the-street style in several areas of the city. The idea, Cohen said, was to highlight a broad spectrum of personal styles, which can easily be translated from the streets of New York to a suburban mall.

Despite the recession, Cohen said the company isnít planning to cut back on advertising for the DKNY Jeans brand. She said the ads will hit for spring, beginning with the February issues of such books as In Style, Elle, GQ and Details as well as online and on billboards across the U.S., Mexico and Canada.

ó Julee Kaplan

When I showed up for the first day of the shoot I was walking around 39th street trying to figure out which mobile home was for me. I figured the other mobile homes were for another shoot or some other event happening nearby. Eventually one of the assistants came out and found me. I asked her, "which mobile home is ours?" She said "They're all ours."

4 mobile homes, 2 cube trucks and several vans and cars is quite a different set-up from my usual "on the street" shooting style but when it came time to take the shots everything was as normal as any other day (except for the hair and makeup people) (oh, and the stylist) (oh yeah, and the caterer) (and the dancing Russian bears I requested - I've gotta have some crazy requests right?)
thesartorialist

16-12-2008
V.I.P.

It looks like Calvin Klien Jeans.

It looks like...The Sartorialist! (As the article mentions)

16-12-2008
V.I.P.

It looks hideous. Just stupid and yes I got the idea but photographing random people on the street and making a trend with that does not mean you can shoot campaigns. But okay at least it's just DKNY Jeans. The model is Lais Navarro?

16-12-2008
teenage dream.

i hate that border around the photos. way to make it look like student art design project.

wait, not it's worse.

fashion insider

Hmmm. I think this is one campaign I'll have to see in a magazine before I come to a final verdict. Still, I'm sympathetic (or at least) open to any departure from the usual, and last season's campaign was a complete disaster.

trendsetter

The problem is that it doesn't make me want to buy that jacket, jeans or whatever...

V.I.P.

nice outfits (the girl's top and necklace is something lovely)
this campaign will be better in print, i think.

V.I.P.

cute guy!

16-12-2008
i'm almost ready..

i actually really like this idea and i love both pics posted...both of them look fabulous...and you really look at the clothes imo....more so than in other ads...

16-12-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
cute guy!
ditto

I don't like this idea for the campaign...

16-12-2008
trendsetter

I think the guy is anything but cute. They could have picked a more handsome one.
But you know, it's matter of tastes...

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

that jkt and jeans r pretty cool

windowshopping

i think the idea - street style photography, shot by the most notable of street style photographers - is refreshing. i totally agree, though, that the borders were ill-advised. maybe they'll look different on the page. anyway, i like the concept.

julie

16-12-2008
trendsetter

I like this! It's kind of refreshing and I think it really fits the brand. And I'm glad to see all of the success the Sartorialist has achieved! Congrats to him.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, dkny, jeans, s or s, schuman, scott