How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-03-2007
tfs star

i don't see it in an offensive way... it's just an ad...
i don't know about some people, but i never take fashion ads seriously, i just pay attention on the colouring and technique.

12-03-2007
tfs star

this ad does not offend me. period.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge
I haven't found any images of women holding men down, but I have just found a cover shot of a 'bound man' - Vogue Pelle from January 2007...
There's an ad with a woman standing on a man's chest with her high heel. I can't remember who the ad was by, but I think it was recent, it's just of her foot and him on the ground. I suppose that's a way for a woman to hold a man down. No fuss in the media over the 'violence' it may have portrayed towards men, of course.

The D&G ad doesn't offend me.

Last edited by perfume; 12-03-2007 at 02:28 PM.
13-03-2007
tfs star

i do agree with perfume, sometimes women can be too sensitive.
we take things too seriously sometimes. :p
no offense to anyone, but i'm a woman

13-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfume
There's an ad with a woman standing on a man's chest with her high heel. I can't remember who the ad was by, but I think it was recent, it's just of her foot and him on the ground. I suppose that's a way for a woman to hold a man down. No fuss in the media over the 'violence' it may have portrayed towards men, of course.

The D&G ad doesn't offend me.
Didn't Diesel recently have a dominatrix/S&M vibe recently? The one with model's making tic-tac-toe scars on a man's back with whips.

13-03-2007
trendsetter

I don't find anything wrong with the ad..it's not like they're glorifying rape.

14-03-2007
don't look down

Again, I'll say in defence of the decision to ban the ad - all of us on this forum are completely educated about the 'meaning' of ads and the recurrent themes each designer uses as part of their look. But imagine if you were looking at this advert in isolation, without that mental library of reference. It's a sole woman, who looks unhappy, being held down by a man, while a group of other men look on. That's not a great narrative for an advert to have.

Personally, I don't care about the advert - I didn't even notice it in the magazines and it doesn't offend my sensibilities - but I can completely see why others might discern a different message in it, and not want it looking down on them on high from some massive billboard or on some advertising shutter you're walking past late at night. It won't look so arty then.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 14-03-2007 at 04:50 AM.
14-03-2007
windowshopping

I agree with the people who think that the ad isn`t offensive. I think the problem is those persons that aren´t tolerant with differents points of view. In my opinion the ad has a great aesthetic, but for other people is a humiliating.

14-03-2007
front row

#22, that's exactly what I think. If you know the type of ads of Dolce and Gabbana, you won't be surprised to see this ad... but imagine less tolerant people

don't look down

Last night's news reports state that Dolce e Gabbana have now decided to withdraw all their advertising from Spain, in protest at this "climate of censure" (see the coverage at Google news, if you search for the designer's names).

I'd ask: is this really a protest about creative liberty - or an attempt to withhold advertising budget from Spanish media, until they give in to Dolce e Gabbana?

Last edited by tigerrouge; 15-03-2007 at 04:14 AM.
15-03-2007
rising star

Dolce & Gabbana may be known for their "aesthetic," but certainly not their moral conscious. First appearances are often the most telling.

I guess it doesn't matter, because Dolce & Gabbana achieved exactly what they wanted from this advertisement - publicity.

Last edited by jollyvixen; 15-03-2007 at 09:29 PM.
16-03-2007
fashion insider

I think the ad certainly looks questionable.

16-03-2007
front row

this is so silly. I can't believe they are withdrawing the ads in Spain... that is so unfair! It is not my fault is someone that knows nothing about fashion photography decides to ban the ad!

French Chic

People really do get carried away.......it's only an advertising campaign.
When I first saw it it didn't suggest anything untoward, I was just struck by the image in general. Shannan Click wasn't being coerced into this and she looks really hot.

18-03-2007
windowshopping

youd think this ad would appear mostly in fashion magazines and not on sidewalks and things, so most people who do view it arn't femenist hippies... but still, like they say, any publicity is good publicity, and bad publicity is the best publicity.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advertisement, dolce, forced, gabbana, remove