How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2007
windowshopping

Dolce & Gabbana forced to remove advertisement

In a article appearing in the age news paper in melbourne:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/fashio...166745075.html
It states that this ad has been pulled as it "it condoned violence against women".
i just wanted to know peoples thoughts about the picture and other such pictures. I know in the past i have seen many pictures of women pinning men down in a similar standard... i mean whats with the double standards. I'm still looking to post such pictures that show a man pinned down by a woman but if you can find one please post it.

06-03-2007
windowshopping

by the way... is that bianca balti?

06-03-2007

^It's Shannan Click

07-03-2007
V.I.P.

Well, first of all, she's only partially pinned down. I thought her legs weren't free, but they actually are, which is in itself an interesting setup. Seems they were trying to avoid raising too much of a fuss, but it didn't work. Still, her upper body is being held down, and at first glance the image does seem to suggest she's being held or forced against her will.

Now as to your point about the double standard, I agree to a certain extent BUT I think that viewpoint is a little shortsighted and here's why:

Women get raped by men more often than men get raped by women. In fact, when men are raped, it's usually by other men. Now I will grant that there probably is some underreporting going on due to stigma, fear that no one will believe them etc, but that's true for rape in general. To see an image that seems to similute a very real problem in our society is disturbing. When it's the other way around, not only is the threat to the man much less because the average woman doesn't have the physical strength to truly hold down the average man but also it's not simulating a widespread problem.

Now, I don't mean to downplay the effects of rape on a man or suggest that when a man is raped by a woman it doesn't matter. Even one occurrence is too many. However, when images play on incidents that happen SO often, it almost suggests that "well, really this isn't a problem" when it is in fact.

I hope that makes at least some sense. It is kind of late here. Apologies in advance for any rambling

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
07-03-2007
front row

This is rather disturbing.....

V.I.P.

Both of her legs are free and she's only being pinned down by her elbows. I don't find that offensive since she doesn't suggest any emotion of being raped...

don't look down

Imagine if you had no previous idea of the Dolce e Gabbana aesthetic (strong women and beefcake men) and saw that image in isolation. A load of half-dressed guys watching a girl being held down. It doesn't bother me - but I can see why some are moved to complain.

As for the idea of the scenario reversed, I'd like to know how many women could successfully hold down the average man in a way that's against his will! Because of his superior physical strength, it's assumed the man is always permitting himself to be held down by the woman.

On the other hand, a woman isn't thought to have the same power to physically resist against any man who holds her down, therefore the question of whether she's permitting herself to be held down is always a much greyer area.

don't look down

I haven't found any images of women holding men down, but I have just found a cover shot of a 'bound man' - Vogue Pelle from January 2007...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vogue Pelle.jpg (29.6 KB, 12 views)

V.I.P.

There's already a thread on this at D&C

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmesweet
Both of her legs are free and she's only being pinned down by her elbows. I don't find that offensive since she doesn't suggest any emotion of being raped...
while I don't really find the very ad offensive, I do think you're wrong. she does look forceably held to an extent and her face looks intense in a way that could be seen as unhappy.

that being said, I think the ad was obviously meant to be contraversial so they achieved what they wanted.

07-03-2007
backstage pass

Creepy ad - and she doesn't look happy. I find the men looking disturbing too - like its a spectical.

07-03-2007
rising star

It does look like she's going to be "tastefully" raped (in looking at the contex of the ad-not really referring to rape, ya know).

08-03-2007
windowshopping

yeh, it kinda makes sense, i mean whenever i get stuck on issues i always think "if that was my sister or daughter what would i think" and if my sister or daughter was in that photo i wouldn't be happy. So fair enough.

And yes, before i posted it i looked for the other ones, but didn't find anything, then when i figured out advertisement didn't have a double d i found them. LOL

08-03-2007
V.I.P.

I don't think it's offensive. The first time I saw it I thought it was about sensuality. Although Shannan's expression is weird and awkward.

08-03-2007
windowshopping

The first time I saw the ad I thought it seemed a bit awkward, but not in a sexual violence way, just weirdly staged. Then people started talking about how it looked like rape and while I understand why some would see it like that, the more I look at the picture, the more it looks like they just engaging in role-playing. But of course, in order to come the conclusion it would take more than a quick glance at the ad and a basic understanding of sexual behaviour.
Unfortunately, the majority of the public will only come across the ad once or twice and they certainly won't have the time to stop and analyze all the aspects and details, they'll take just the obvious scenario, which indeed seems to be sexual violence, and stick with that. And even if you do take your time to try understand the ad, it may still seem offensive.
So yes, some people think it's bad, some don't and once again Dolce & Gabbana are in the middle of a controversy that will only bring them exposure, they'll come out of this stronger than ever and ready for another go.

Last edited by lix_rsx; 08-03-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advertisement, dolce, forced, gabbana, remove