How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-07-2005
scenester

Dove: "Real Women" Campaign
Ok guys, has anyone else heard about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8757597/

Personally, I think its a great idea and I think that some of the girls in the ads are really beautiful.

Beauty does come in all shapes in sizes!

31-07-2005
front row

The ads are definitely attention-grabbing and I agree that beauty does not have to be defined by one type of "look".

Here's a photo they use in the campaign:

31-07-2005
trendsetter

I love this campaign.......they have another one that focuses on the faces of unique women...freckles, wrinkles.....its so refreshing.

31-07-2005
backstage pass

Those ads definitley grab your attention and it is refreshing but personally, I'd rather it not become the norm in ads.

Last edited by sakina; 31-07-2005 at 06:52 PM.
31-07-2005
Your pm box is full buggy

^^ It's comments like that that cause many women to have eating disorders. Thank you for proving that there are still a lot of close-minded people in this world.

PS.. good thing you edited your original comment.

Last edited by Luna; 31-07-2005 at 06:55 PM.
31-07-2005

I think the ads are great.... because these are real women... Dove is very smart for going in this direction.. I never saw it coming.

31-07-2005
Iowa Girl at Heart

I agree that it is refreshing. I just have one complaint - I wish it wasn't entitled "Real Women". I would have chosen for them to not name it the obvious - and just go with it in that direction.

Nonetheless, I can see this campaign being truly appreciated (by women of all sizes, shapes, etc.).

31-07-2005
front row

Ha, I dont get how Dove is having this whole campaign with "Accept yourself for who you are" and all of that jazz... but at the same time going, "By the way, you need this firming lotion".

Not only that, but I've always felt that the reason they put gorgeous, ridiculously toned/fit/thin models on ads are to entice you. The whole, "You can get this unattainable beauty with our products" thing. I like to have what I use/buy look glamorous.

They had tried that direction... before this, every dove commercial had some hot woman doing the ads.. but they've caused so much buzz with this new campaign

31-07-2005
backstage pass

I know I really didn't mean it to come out like that.

I do like that ad and it's a nice change but I think for most clothes, I'd personally prefer to have a thin model. For beauty ads and cosmetics and the like I think I actually do perfer fuller women, but I have to admit this ad gave me a bit of a jolt.

31-07-2005
rising star

I love this ad! I've seen a different one though! If you think these girls are fat, you should stop making trips to the bathroom after eating and grow up

31-07-2005
front row

That's the thing though... the media is making a buzz about it like they put obese women on the sides of buses when they didn't. One of the models is from Chicago and she's an "admitted size 10"... which isn't that bad considering her height. All of these women are probably at a healthy BMI.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Peach
Ha, I dont get how Dove is having this whole campaign with "Accept yourself for who you are" and all of that jazz... but at the same time going, "By the way, you need this firming lotion".

Not only that, but I've always felt that the reason they put gorgeous, ridiculously toned/fit/thin models on ads are to entice you. The whole, "You can get this unattainable beauty with our products" thing. I like to have what I use/buy look glamorous.
I agree with you, Peach!

But I also realized - some women (and young girls especially) want to have a reasonable level of socially acceptable beauty to which they can aspire. And I think parents like having that kind of physical role model for their daughters, even if it is still all in the name of appearance and in the pursuit of beauty.

So it's like, this is the same thing, only taking it down a notch. "See, we put these women in this ad, so they're beautiful too, and if you use this product, you can be beautiful like them," which is at least more realistic for a lot of women than, say, looking like Polina or Doutzen.

31-07-2005
backstage pass

I think the jolt was what they were looking for, and as ads try to look for what the public want, I think if we can start to accept more fuller models in cosmetic ads...and later fashion ads, more ads like this will appear.

I agree with you on the "accept yourself" end of it..(while selling butt-firming cream) it is a bit of an oxymoron..

I think it's just that most women look like this, as opposed to the women you see walking down the runway..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
campaign, dove, real, women