How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2006
NOE
trendsetter

Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty
I did a search and didn't see anything on this... Did any of you see the latest Dove commercial? It nearly made me cry (maybe I'm getting my period ) b/c it is so right on and I think its great that they are finally addressing this issue: Low Self Esteem in Young Girls.

Link for the commercial:

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com...sp?src=pod4786

06-02-2006
slightly dizzy

I think it's a great thing to focus on, but it's a very American commercial, isn't it? Too cute and sentimental, it just feels fake to a cynic like me... Maybe it works in the US?

But then again, different countries are different markets and needs to be addressed differently...

I do applaude Dove's strive for diversity though, they've been at it for a while now!

06-02-2006
NOE
trendsetter

Don't take this the wrong way... but do you not feel for it because you are a guy? My husband didn't care for it. But hey, maybe pulling at the heart strings is the American way... I don't know cause it's I've always lived here.

backstage pass

I think it's great they're doing that! The commercial is a bit overly cute, but I liked it.

My fave models: Gemma, Sasha, Stammy, Trentini, Vlada <3
06-02-2006
front row

I saw it today- didn't cry but def. touched me when the girl "said" - "thinks she's fat". It happens all the time with young girls, so sad. I love the campaign, great idea!

06-02-2006
scenester

^ Yes, that's the part that most touched me because that is probably the biggest self-esteem issue among girls..besides acne. I like that commercial! It's the first time I've seen it.

06-02-2006
slightly dizzy

^^^ Maybe... I am a cynic, like I said.

American commercials are often very, very saccharine sweet. There's just something about the colours, choice of music, focus, cutting and zoomings that makes them very, very sentimental and cliché to me. Of course, there are also US commercials that are fantastic! Apple's are always great, for instance.

I'm not saying I love all the commercials in my country either, but it's interesting to see how much the style and approach in commercials differ!

06-02-2006
V.I.P.

I like the message it teaching but my personal opinion is that we should start teaching this lesson long before girls or (guys for that matter) reach puberty. It should be taught by the parents at a very young age and should be one of the first lessons we learn in school. When we teach our children to care about each other and not judge themselves or others in a negative way then I don't think they will grow up with such a negative image.

06-02-2006
crossed wires.

it's a lovely thought, and I hope it works...but I think it's just a bit cutesy...(tough ol' cold hearted Brit anyone?)

I like the idea behind it though, and feel it's definitely something that needs to be addressed...I remember what I felt like about myself when I was that age...it's difficult trying to come to terms with being you.

tfs star

can someone describe the commercial? i havent seen it yet

V.I.P.

i think this ad aired over here a while ago... its a very good ad.... goes straight to the point....! low self esteem is a big issue, i am glad they're doing this..!

07-02-2006
fashion icon

I'm not sure if Dove did this commercial but it was by far one of the best commercials I've ever seen. The commercial started off with a voiceover saying "If you looked like how society dictates you to look...." and then it showed every woman of every race with a platinum blond wig. Then it goes back to the voiceover "then you wouldn't be you". Or something to that effect and then every women rips of the blond wig and you see this beautiful array of different hairstyles and tectures that were covered by this blond wig. Such a beautful commercial and so well done. I wish the person who came up with it knows how awesome it was and got some type of reward.

dlg

07-02-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom
I like the message it teaching but my personal opinion is that we should start teaching this lesson long before girls or (guys for that matter) reach puberty. It should be taught by the parents at a very young age and should be one of the first lessons we learn in school. When we teach our children to care about each other and not judge themselves or others in a negative way then I don't think they will grow up with such a negative image.
Agree with you MM... Nowadays, a lot of kids/teens and a lot of adults as well has very terrible self image of themselves.... trying to change to conform to our society's beauty standards..... Everyone is beautiful and unique in their own special way.... but not enough people realize it...!

07-02-2006
NOE
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyslittlegrl8
I'm not sure if Dove did this commercial but it was by far one of the best commercials I've ever seen. The commercial started off with a voiceover saying "If you looked like how society dictates you to look...." and then it showed every woman of every race with a platinum blond wig. Then it goes back to the voiceover "then you wouldn't be you". Or something to that effect and then every women rips of the blond wig and you see this beautiful array of different hairstyles and tectures that were covered by this blond wig. Such a beautful commercial and so well done. I wish the person who came up with it knows how awesome it was and got some type of reward.

dlg
I LOVE that commerical too. It sends such a great message: Stop trying to be something you're not, just be you
I feel like it was Dove as well.

V.I.P.

I think it's a good idea-on paper-yet I highly doubt it'll work.

As far as the magazine ads for the lotions and what not go, I was not a supporter because I prefer magazine ads to show people like Natasha, Gemma, Daria-you know models, not average joes. A lot of my friends think that I'm wrong for not wanting average women in magazine ads-but I think for something that is having a ton of money spent on it, there should be some way-beyond average women. Another idea good on paper but not something that I see as highly effective.

I like the message of "be yourself" though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beauty, campaign, dove, real