How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-06-2012
ģ

Fendi F/W 12.13 : Joan Smalls by Karl Lagerfeld

Quote:
MADE IN THE SHADE: Just call him Mr. Decisive. While Fendi’s fall collection was parading the runway in Milan in February, Karl Lagerfeld made up his mind about the ad campaign when his eyes landed on model Joan Smalls wearing look No. 44: a yellow fur coat with an orchid-inspired motif. “I said to myself backstage during the show: It’s her and her alone. No other girl — or boy — no child, only her. She had this incredible golden, glowing skin that made her look like some Etruscan beauty,” Lagerfeld told WWD. “She is also a great girl to work with, and we had great fun.”

Intent on bolstering Fendi’s “strong Italian identity,” the designer chose as the shoot location a hilly site dotted with olive and cypress trees in Chianti, about 40 miles outside of Florence. “I wanted an Italian landscape — but not a summery one,” he explained. “We had bad weather, but it was exactly the mood and the colors I wanted.”

Lagerfeld and his crew, including Lady Amanda Harlech and the stylist Charlotte Stockdale, shot the campaign around a former vineyard. “We had to wait that the rain stopped but that was also what gave us the right light.” The campaign is slated to break July 15 in August magazines.

Lagerfeld had previously photographed Smalls, casting her for Chanel’s spring 2012 campaign opposite Saskia de Brauw (who, incidentally, is to appear in Chanel’s new cruise campaign).
wwd.com

Last edited by IAmLordZen; 28-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.

28-06-2012
fashion elite

this is not really good. joan looks stiff and uncomfortable. grey clothes against grey background? im not sure what was karl's intention but one thing is for sure is that he needs to retire as a photographer.

28-06-2012
tfs star

I'm glad not studio shoot again, and no Arizona, but...... this?
I'm happy Karl is using Joan now, but it doesn't look good, no neck and as congacon said, she looks stiff and comfortable, not a good pose at all

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

^

well hopefully the rest will b better

remind me of Anja firs Fendi campaing(but anja's was better) but i am VERY HAPPY for Joan!

OG?

V.I.P.

Im not a fan of Smalls but at least this is so much better that Arizona's s/s12 campaign.

28-06-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsoJonathan View Post
^

well hopefully the rest will b better

remind me of Anja firs Fendi campaing(but anja's was better) but i am VERY HAPPY for Joan!

OG?
fendi hasnt had a mg campaign as long as i remember, so im pretty sure this will be og campaign. congrats to joan for scoring the most prestigious campaign of her career if this is indeed og campaign.

28-06-2012
backstage pass

This is not the best pose she can do, but ms Smalls intense stare's really calling everyone's attention
BTW ,I remember back to spring, a TV show forums rumored she's featured in Givenchy and Fendi and then TFS claimed it was just some fans wishful thinking and deleted all these similar posts but now it's proved to be true, so does somebody know if it was a terrible coincidence or the TV show forums was right?

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

This would so get her sent home if she were on ANTM, lol. Stiff, no neck, she didn't really find the light, etc.

I like the setting though. And like many have said, at least it's better than last season's awful ads with Arizona.

V.I.P.

This is awful! The setting is lovely, and if this had been Anja or Natasha, it would have been perfect!

29-06-2012
front row

nice face with awkward pose

29-06-2012
tfs star

This is one of the worst photo's of Joan I've seen and the worst Fendi ad in quite a while.

29-06-2012
front row

Wait if there are no one else in the campaign does that mean there is no Baptiste hiding in the trees
Her face is great but its such an awkward pose. I think Natasha or Bianca Balti would have been a better choice, but congrats to Joan.

29-06-2012
███████████████

yesssss awkward pose but im glad are in location and not in studio i think is better of the last campaing

29-06-2012
rising star

Bad pose? I dont think so, if it was Im sure the photo will not made it to the campaign! Surely she was asked to pose in that way. Many people hating just because is Joan and is not Natasha or Anja like helmut.newton wrote. Her face looks stunning and she's selling the bag. Im sure that the next pictures will be even better! Im sooooooo happy for my girl to be in two big campaigns this season, she deserves this and a lot more!!

29-06-2012
V.I.P.

I agree with everyone else. Awkward shot and seems like an amateur reinterpretation of the S/S 2010 campaign with Anja, although miles ahead of the horrid ads last season.

With Joan involved and the gorgeous backdrop, I'm awaiting better shots from this campaign.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, f or w, fendi, joan, karl, lagerfeld, smalls