How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-06-2008
fashion elite

He is not a Givenchy material, and the whole thing is just so wrong.

25-06-2008
secret garden

Someone else said it before me but I'll echo the sentiment - cheap. Timberlake has nothing to do with the Givenchy brand he's just a well known celebrity being used to pimp out another mass market, sub-par fragrance. I don't mind celebrities in advertising but they should at least match the house whose adverts they are appearing in.

Add to this the fact that the photography on this is bland as well. Givenchy can do so much better...

26-06-2008
-- aGGravaTion de caS --

VERYYY BADDDD... oh please i can't stand him anymore!!

V.I.P.

i think he was only picked because he's been EVERYWHERE in music lately. which other male popstar can you say that about? this frag is obviously music themed but i think it's too gimmicky to last for long.

i hope that at least the frag won't disappoint.

26-06-2008
trendsetter

strange direction choice for Givenchy.
this certainly wont strengthen the mens side of the business.

the mens line (including fragrances) really needs to start following the lead of the womens. its a much more successful and desirable aesthetic.

26-06-2008
V.I.P.

then again, WHAT is desirable aesthetically? there's a more general rule for women (tall, long hair, perfect skin, slender figure) but with men, there's many different looks which could be deemed "desirable".

some like the Hedi-Boys. others like the buff look. then the swimmers look. some men connect more with models in athletic attire, some like the hipster look.

so, WHAT exactly would be desirable?

26-06-2008
fashion insider

He looks eh, retarded.

26-06-2008
trendsetter

Why did all the male fragrance ads choose black & white color ?? Prada did , Givenchy again . I don't like b/w shot , actually.

26-06-2008
V.I.P.

I will never understand why they picked JT, so so random.And the result is just awful, Justin is not as photogenic as some other male celebs out there, and these are a definition of boring.

26-06-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
then again, WHAT is desirable aesthetically? there's a more general rule for women (tall, long hair, perfect skin, slender figure) but with men, there's many different looks which could be deemed "desirable".

some like the Hedi-Boys. others like the buff look. then the swimmers look. some men connect more with models in athletic attire, some like the hipster look.

so, WHAT exactly would be desirable?
Actually, I thought it was pretty fab for Givenchy to pick and stick with Liv Tyler when she didn't fit the last of your criteria . In any case it's not a manner of what is desirable "aesthetically" in general it's what fits a house first and trying to get that message out to the public in an appealing manner. (Prada and Gucci, for example, may tall-long hair-perfect *photoshopped* skin etc. but one could hardly say they reflect a similar aesthetic.) Celebrities moreso than models have a fixed image and so, theoretically, this should make it easier for fashion houses when choosing one. For Givenchy I would have taken Jude Law, Jonathan Rhys Meyers (really, I'm just dying for him to do another fashion ad since his stint with Versace), Joaquin Phoenix. Denzel Washington (it would never happen but girl can dream!). Johnny Depp if they could convince him. Basically...anyone but a former boy bander who did it with Britney Spears .

trendsetter

I never would have put Givency + JT together. These ads do nothing for me, theye evoke no emotion, no feeling, nothing. I think he is a talented entertainer, I like his music, but this? No.

26-06-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahiyya View Post
Basically...anyone but a former boy bander who did it with Britney Spears .
LOL. Couldn't agree more, it is wrong casting! Not so right for Givenchy's image.. & I thought i read thread's title wrong but..

Wanderlust

This is terrible! These ads look uncomfortable which makes me uncomfortable! Actually, these look like they are selling alcohol or something.

26-06-2008
trendsetter

AHAHA I love this thread. I'm happy to know I'm not alone or crazy here!

The worst part about this campaign is the lack of attention on the actual product or Givenchy. The bottle is all the way off to the side corner. The first thing you look at is Justin. If you were quickly flipping pages you wouldn't even know it's a perfume ad. It's like an ed of Timberlake. I just don't get it. I would love to know who was responsible for this at Givenchy.

Last edited by lollicandy; 26-06-2008 at 07:45 PM.
26-06-2008
V.I.P.

awww i love the ads!!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fragrance, givenchy, justin, munro, play, timberlake, tom