Gucci Pre-Fall 2018 by Glen Luchford - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
15-02-2018
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steddycam91 View Post
All of these young people dressed up in expensive consumer goods protesting...something. How very chic.

Whenever a fashion house uses "activism" as some sort of inspiration to promote their brand, I can't help but reject it on sight and on principle. Have we learned nothing from the Chanel S/S 2015 catwalk show? Stay in your lane, Gucci.
Thank you. It is so cynical and misses the point of what people were protesting about. No one was or is marching in the streets for the right to wear a gaudy thousand dollar embroidered bomber jacket. It's completely tone deaf.

V.I.P.

If fashion can no longer pay tribute to an art form because they made the 'criminal' mistake of dressing a commoner (model!) in pointe shoes, can no longer glorify an ethnic group or subculture because it's insensitive, or can no longer reference a social movement because it's apparently disingenuous, what will be left? How will it survive?

15-02-2018
boop

Fashion can (and does) do whatever it wants, but people get also get to state their opinions about those choices which everyone has done here very respectfully. Gucci didn't create this in a vacuum, I'm sure they can handle a couple of very measured critiques.

Last edited by Luxx; 15-02-2018 at 02:42 PM.
15-02-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
If fashion can no longer pay tribute to an art form because they made the 'criminal' mistake of dressing a commoner (model!) in pointe shoes, can no longer glorify an ethnic group or subculture because it's insensitive, or can no longer reference a social movement because it's apparently disingenuous, what will be left? How will it survive?
Why are those things vital to fashion anyway? I'm pretty fashion can survive (and has survived) by not using tribal people as props, meaningful cultures as style and social protests as theme. If not then we really need to pause and rethink the point of this whole thing.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
16-02-2018
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Fashion can (and does) do whatever it wants, but people get also get to state their opinions about those choices which everyone has done here very respectfully. Gucci didn't create this in a vacuum, I'm sure they can handle a couple of very measured critiques.
^Exactly!!!

fashion icon

What are they protesting? Solids vs Stripes? Flats vs Stilettos?

17-02-2018
trendsetter

I agree that social protest is nothing that is in a direct relationship to the product Gucci is selling. One can say, it's rather the opposite. But isn't that the case with many advertisings?
I think what they are about here is the feeling of rebellion against the norm and the feeling that you get when you are in a strong group of common mindset. And that is certainly something that a Gucci customer can relate to.
Could they have chosen a different way? Certainly. But in my opinion it's not sacrosanct to use any form of social protest for an advertising purpose and it's been done badly many times before but here I think you can clearly see which protest it is and the atmosphere is captured really well. I like to watch it.

17-02-2018
backstage pass

Agree with most other posters.

There's nothing glamorous about protest. It usually involves people feeling their rights (or even their lives) are being taken away.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Beautifully shot, as usual. But glorifying protest simply to sell luxury fashion seems very... tasteless to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Agree with this, too. On top of that, WE are the consumer. We can choose whether we like something/want to buy it or not.

19-02-2018
front row

Does anyone know the redhead model with the jewels?

19-02-2018
trendsetter

I did a little research, it's Marland Backus after a major hair transformation.

09-03-2018
tfs star

it is fun like there were rich guys protesting for nothing

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, glen, gucci, luchford, prefall