How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-06-2008
fashion icon

Jean Paul Gaultier "Ma Dame" Fragrance : Agyness Deyn by Jean-Baptiste Mondino

Quote:
MA DAME, LE NOUVEAU PARFUM DE JEAN PAUL GAULTIER

Jean Paul Gaultier lance sa nouvelle fragrance féminine. Ce jus, Ma Dame, s'ouvre sur une note acidulée d'orange, s'épanouit sur un velours de rose et une goutte de grenadine et s'achève sur des arômes de musc et de cèdre. Présenté dans un flacon de verre dans lequel se sculpte le célèbre buste de Jean Paul Gaultier, le parfum s'offre une égérie de choix. Agyness Deyn, visage des campagnes Burberry et New Look, apparaitra sur les écrans, cheveux longs, pantalon noir et chemise blanche. Devant la caméra de Jean-Baptiste Mondino, elle va se libérer à coup de ciseaux. Elle taille ses cheveux, courts à la garçonne, son slim en short et ouvre sa chemise. Sur une illustration sonore de Miss Kittin – remix de « 3ème Sexe » d'Indochine -, elle finit par poser un baiser sur la joue de Jean Paul Gaultier. Ma Dame se décline en gel douche, déodorant et lait pour le corps. En boutique dès le 1er septembre. J.DLR.
vogue.fr

05-06-2008
V.I.P.

The text just SCREAMS Agyness to me...and I love every minute of it.

05-06-2008
V.I.P.

cute!

V.I.P.

I like it

here is an article from style.com

Quote:
scent of a gaultier woman

Though he sent his first gender-bending collection down the runway more than 30 years ago, fashion's resident enfant terrible, Jean Paul Gaultier, is still the go-to guy for envelope-pushing types. Like his highly recognizable designs, his fragrances have also earned icon status—torso-shaped bottles that house the scent equivalents of Madonna's cone bra from the Blonde Ambition tour or Marion Cotillard's mermaid-inspired couture dress from the 2008 Academy Awards. In anticipation of the release of his newest perfume, Ma Dame, and its international ad campaign starring Agyness Deyn, Style.com caught up with the designer at his maison de couture to talk about feminism, fragrance sacrilege, and his kind of woman.

In your line of fragrances, where does Ma Dame fit?

I have really built a family of perfumes: Classique is the mother, Le Male is the father, the son is Fleur du Male, Fragile is sort of like the aunt, and now here comes the daughter. She is energetic, modern, and young in attitude, and that concludes the family.

What was the initial idea this time around?

With this one, I needed to figure out how to make it smell electric. I still wanted musk, because I know musk is sensual. And sensuality is important because perfume is like a dress: You can be totally nude, but you are dressed by your perfume. [Fragrance] is very complimentary to fashion in this way—it's another story about color and packaging and often gives me ideas for my clothes. I did one dress in my couture collection in the pink from this perfume.

Is this emphasis on electricity and energy what led you to the unorthodox packaging approach you took with the box, insofar as you literally have to rip it open in order to remove the bottle?

I have always been influenced by movements—they are very important; they show who we are and how we feel and what we need. You have different ways to open things, and this is a quite punk-y way to do it, and for fragrance, that's like sacrilege! It's an attitude that says, "I do what I want."

How would you say this idea of independence is reflected in your deliberate spelling of the fragrance's name, which could suggest a certain possessiveness rather than a freedom?

The word "madame" is very bourgeois and old-fashioned. But "Ma Dame" is completely different. It's my type of woman—at the same time fragile and strong, like a tomboy that is a little androgynous in attitude so, you know, she can cut her hair if she wants. It's a cliché that women have to have long hair to seduce a man. But [cutting your hair] means something—an independence, that women don't always have to seduce a man. They can seduce a woman, if they want.

And is this character composite what led you to Agyness Deyn—in all of her short-, spiky-haired glory—as the face of the fragrance?

I met [Deyn] in 2006, the year I was celebrating the 30th anniversary of my company. I did a retrospective and she wore the first outfit at the show, which was also the first look I did that was really different from what everyone else was doing in 1976: It was a biker jacket like Marlon Brando but with a French flag on the back and studs; a long tutu but with pockets in the back, like a jeans tutu; and tennis shoes. She was ballerina and biker, so feminine and masculine. It was a mix of my sensibility, and I knew she was completely the one to represent it.

You've been somewhat of a champion of women in this way, bucking convention with your clothes and, it would appear, with your fragrances as well. Where does this sentiment come from?

I've always found a power and intelligence in women and thought it was a kind of injustice that there were things that they couldn't do when I was first starting in fashion—like women who were more clever than men weren't paid as well as men. As they became more liberated, I tried to reflect this same balance through my clothes, so I did [some looks] for two in my first collection, where men could wear skirts and women could wear trousers. Then, after the seventies, when some girls wanted to start wearing bras again—not because they were obliged but because they wanted to play, to seduce—I was doing a lot of corsets. —Celia Ellenberg

05-06-2008
front row

Gorgeous profile.

05-06-2008
old-fashioned

can't stand her but this picture really isn't bad. for some reason i think this perfume may smell so good.

front row

jaja it looks adorable, i like it honestly jaja
the bottle looks so cool.

05-06-2008
don't look down

I like it, it makes me laugh - though I'm wondering if this is coming at the tail end of fashion's current love affair with Agyness, because it could be that soon enough, the wind will change, and she'll get the cold shoulder from everyone who loved her six months ago (unless she can evolve her look to recapture their enthusiasm).

Then again, a scent isn't meant to be high fashion, it's meant to appeal to anyone who can spend money on a perfume, and Agyness has a fairly high profile in the general media for a fashion model, which should keep her in the public eye for a while yet, even if the edgier magazines move on.

Fat Karl

I love it. Then again....everything JPG touches, I worship.

front row

not enought with having her everywhere, now people would be able to smell like her ...

just not feeling it :/

V.I.P.

Agyness looks really cute, but i don't like his in ads~~

05-06-2008
tfs star

Ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPk0XUSYxs

05-06-2008
rising star

agyness is overexposed? yes, but girl is working it out

05-06-2008
front row