Marc Jacobs "Oh Lola" Fragrance : Dakota Fanning by Juergen Teller - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-09-2011
backstage pass

She's so incredibly dull.

20-09-2011
windowshopping

Sad....that was inspires me....saddness....and I doubt that's the message that was meant to be given...i don't but to buy a perfume that will make me depressed)

V.I.P.

Quote:
Marc Jacobs’ Oh Lola Ad Banned

LONDON — Britain’s Advertising Standards Authority ruled Wednesday that the print advertisement for Marc Jacobs’ Oh Lola fragrance, starring Dakota Fanning and shot by Juergen Teller, “was irresponsible and likely to cause serious offence,” and has banned the ad from appearing again in its current form.

The ad features Fanning posing in a pink polka dot dress, with an oversize bottle of the Oh Lola fragrance resting in her lap. The ASA received four complaints about the ad after it appeared in magazines in August, which argued that it portrayed “the young model in a sexualized manner.”

As part of its adjudication, the ASA said that Coty, which owns Marc Jacobs’ beauty license, countered that it “did not believe the styling in the ad suggested the model was underage or that the ad was inappropriately sexualized because it did not show any private body parts or sexual activity.”

Coty added that the campaign had appeared in “highly stylized fashion magazines,” targeted at those over 25 years old, and said that such readers were unlikely to find the images offensive as they are similar to many others in fashion titles.

However, the ASA found that while Fanning was 17 years old, “we considered she looked under the age of 16,” and that the positioning of the perfume bottle was “sexually provocative.” “We considered the ad could be seen to sexualize a child. We therefore concluded that the ad was irresponsible and was likely to cause serious offence,” the ASA said. It ruled that the advert breached two of its codes, social responsibility and harm and offence.
wwd.com

09-11-2011
fashion insider

^ i'm not really for banning things but i think this case is justified, the ad is misleading as some members already noticed months ago in this thread..

09-11-2011
trendsetter

Some might call me dumb here most likely, but I really don't understand what's so "suggestive" about this ad thats enough to get banned. Shes not too young, shes not in any provocative clothing, and she's not doing anything particularly sexual in this ad other than having a perfume bottle.

10-11-2011
Looking Up

I'm not against the ban, but there have been worse ads. Way worse.

10-11-2011
front row

I do understand why they would ban this ad. Dakota is a child, not 10 but she is underage. Banning the ad was a very conservative move, but I get it. With the flower petals near her...area, it's not classy.

10-11-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaceVixen009 View Post
Some might call me dumb here most likely, but I really don't understand what's so "suggestive" about this ad thats enough to get banned. Shes not too young, shes not in any provocative clothing, and she's not doing anything particularly sexual in this ad other than having a perfume bottle.
I believe it has more to do with the shape of the bottle. In the art world flower petals are a classic representation of female genitalia, and given where the bottle is positioned...
Anyways, it's doubtful that the ad's art director or those at Coty were naive to this.

10-11-2011
trendsetter

^ Wow, I need to work on my observing skills or maybe I was just tired. I could see where some people would be offended even though theres been WAY "worse"/ sexually controversial ads, such as Tom Ford's Opium ad back in 2003.

front row

^Ha, no worries! I agree that the Opium ad was much more blatant in its portrayal of female sexuality, but I believe that Sophie Dahl was in her 20s at the time (correct me if I'm wrong).

10-11-2011
backstage pass

The way the ad was done with the title of the fragrance immediately went from Oh Lola - Oh Lolita for me.

11-11-2011
backstage pass

weird looking arm on the first pict, but love her face

12-11-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by moirla View Post
I do understand why they would ban this ad. Dakota is a child, not 10 but she is underage. Banning the ad was a very conservative move, but I get it. With the flower petals near her...area, it's not classy.

Actually, legal age in the UK is 16 and Dakota is almost 18. Legal age in NY, where Dakota lives, is 17. There is nothing even remotely illegal about this ad.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
Actually, legal age in the UK is 16 and Dakota is almost 18. Legal age in NY, where Dakota lives, is 17. There is nothing even remotely illegal about this ad.
I don't recall implying that it was illegal. I was referring to the age of majority (proper adulthood), not age of consent. What I meant was that I completely understand why some thought that it was inappropriate.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dakota, fanning, fragrance, jacobs, juergen, lola, marc, teller