How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
10-01-2008
  31
fashion icon
 
knightley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: budapest vii (where pigeons won't even roost)
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Oh she may very well not be truly stupid, but to me this is completely mocking her. She's in a designer shopping bag, legs dangling like a Barbie doll or a mannequin, basically it's saying that she's a product.

If this was someone else, someone who has that tongue in cheek downtown art vibe I could totally see this as being a funny thing, but she's not, she's a parody of what fashionistas are. There's a fine line between satire and mocking, I think this crossed it.
Disagree.

It isn't mocking her. Becks, the wife, is a savvy businesswoman who has cultivated real relationships with designers. Whether we want to accept or not, Victoria is a player in the fashion world who is a held idol for Cavalli, Lagerfeld, and, yes, Jacobs - she is beloved by some of the most prominent designers. And Victoria herself knows she is a product. She has her own clothing line, she has a fragrance, her husband is being used to market underwear. I think she is one of the few celebs who realizes she is marketable.

She is very tongue in cheek, really, if you paid attention to her interviews. She's candid, a little bit of a tart, and rather laidback. She definitely puts her best foot forward when out for things because she realises she is a celebrity and has to look and act a certain way for the camera. I think this collaboration has been her sacrificing that to show how dedicated she is to the fashion world and for her, with Marc, to satirize the celebrity worship in fashion. She's hidden. We see her legs. We're not seeing her face. Yet? Marc is still using a celebrity, not a look a like. This is clearly not a mockery of her. This is one of Marc's closest celebrity fans and one of the few I think truly understands commercialism.

__________________
love is a room: BUTANE. HEGELUND. BELIKOVA. OBERLIN.
  Reply With Quote
 
10-01-2008
  32
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,957
^^Exactly!How many famous women out there today,would ever say half of the things she does,and constantly make jokes on their own account.Would Jessica Simpson ever say she dosent think she has any talents or that she is remotely beautiful?No!Victoria is a refreshing celebrity in this day and age.Besides she is running her own company dVb which has made more than 180 million dollars in its first five years of conception,and she has done it quietly without huge pomp.She is a shrewd buisness woman,and is running not only her image but her husbands as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanique33 View Post
LOVE IT. i love that he got her sense of humor. that along with his, makes for a great ad. thanks. i can't wait for the others.
Hahah i knew as soon as i heard he asked her to be in his campaign,that this will be great,since both of them are nothing what the haters persume of them to be.Just look at this thread,same members posting all over hating on her,this is what a woman like VB does.She always gets people going,and is the first one on the joke.


Last edited by Miss Dalloway; 10-01-2008 at 06:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  33
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,411
Hey, maybe I've got her all wrong and she's truly a dark and subversive personality behind the consciously plasticized celebrity she portrays. I just think it's slightly sad to market yourself as a product and not a person.

Whether or not she knew the message behind this is irrelevant to me. The image is the ultimate parody of celebrity, a mass of spare plastic parts in a plastic surgeon's office, stuffed into a status shopping bag. So, if she really is so whitty and tongue in cheek, then why is she the epitome of all things wrong with celebrity culture.

I'm just speaking for myself right here.

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford

  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  34
backstage pass
 
avantgarde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 862
okaaaaaaaay...I want to see posh in the gorgeous collection.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  35
boop
 
Luxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,067
I love it.

LOVE IT.

__________________
What do I think about the way most people dress? Most people are not something one thinks about... - Diana Vreeland
Twitter / Tumblr
  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  36
fashion elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
So, if she really is so whitty and tongue in cheek, then why is she the epitome of all things wrong with celebrity culture.
i don't understand how she is the epitome of all things wrong with celebrity culture.. at all. i would think by that you mean all the DUI's, arrests, underage drinking/smoking, sex tapes, etc. all of which Victoria has steered clear from. not saying you're wrong though, because like you said, it is just your opinion and you are speaking for yourself.

i'm going off topic here though..

  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  37
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Hey, maybe I've got her all wrong and she's truly a dark and subversive personality behind the consciously plasticized celebrity she portrays. I just think it's slightly sad to market yourself as a product and not a person.

Whether or not she knew the message behind this is irrelevant to me. The image is the ultimate parody of celebrity, a mass of spare plastic parts in a plastic surgeon's office, stuffed into a status shopping bag. So, if she really is so whitty and tongue in cheek, then why is she the epitome of all things wrong with celebrity culture.

I'm just speaking for myself right here.
Yes i see it as parody on celebrity as well.And she was fully aware of it,well according to Jacobs anyway.And its not the first time she agreed to do a parody on herself,so its not a huge deal.

But i dont think Victoria is the "epitome of all things wrong with celebrity culture"!My goodness,she like many others has been famous since she was 21 years old and has grown up in the medias glare,and like Shop7th said has NEVER done any of things celebrities are doing these days.So if her only crime is the fact that she has enchancted breasts and LOVES fashion,then i will gladly take that over legions of starlets falling out of Escalades sans underwear doing jail time like its the new black,and having nervous breakdowns and putting their children in dangeur.
And to be fair,Victoria has been under as much scrutiny as all of those celebs if not even more,and yet she has shown time and time again how strong of a woman she is,so for that she does get my respect.

  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  38
backstage pass
 
chessmess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Gender: homme
Posts: 892
hate it

__________________
  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  39
V.I.P.
 
dg_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CA, USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,207
weird....

__________________
I can change a stone into a flower...
  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  40
fashion icon
 
Starry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,062
Very interesting and funny, I just want to see what the rests will be like.

  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  41
V.I.P.
 
Mchunu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 11,160
when i saw the title, to myself i though " :roll: anyone but her"

then i opened it & was even more amused

__________________
.
  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  42
backstage pass
 
Ella Petrovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills
Gender: femme
Posts: 799
Love the ad! Although, i`m sure she probably could fit in a shopping bag!

  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  43
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa
 
UNiQFashionista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Diaper Land
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,908
hahaaaaaaaa
love it

__________________
phassionpassion.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  44
fashion insider
 
Foxie-Pooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,219
Are those really her legs? They look hairy...almost like Marc's lol

  Reply With Quote
10-01-2008
  45
tfs star
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Francisco
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightley View Post
Disagree.

It isn't mocking her. Becks, the wife, is a savvy businesswoman who has cultivated real relationships with designers. Whether we want to accept or not, Victoria is a player in the fashion world who is a held idol for Cavalli, Lagerfeld, and, yes, Jacobs - she is beloved by some of the most prominent designers. And Victoria herself knows she is a product. She has her own clothing line, she has a fragrance, her husband is being used to market underwear. I think she is one of the few celebs who realizes she is marketable.

She is very tongue in cheek, really, if you paid attention to her interviews. She's candid, a little bit of a tart, and rather laidback. She definitely puts her best foot forward when out for things because she realises she is a celebrity and has to look and act a certain way for the camera. I think this collaboration has been her sacrificing that to show how dedicated she is to the fashion world and for her, with Marc, to satirize the celebrity worship in fashion. She's hidden. We see her legs. We're not seeing her face. Yet? Marc is still using a celebrity, not a look a like. This is clearly not a mockery of her. This is one of Marc's closest celebrity fans and one of the few I think truly understands commercialism.
Agree and disagree. Obviously, she thinks she knows what she's doing. I haven't paid attention to her interviews, but from what she wears I think it's safe to say that she's pretty high-maintenance. I can't imagine her posing that way unless there's a good reason.
However, I think she overestimated her audience. The average person of this ad's target audience isn't going to think through the reasoning behind the ad. Most people will see the ad and think LOL at designer product obsessed Beck's wife. She is being mocked by this ad, whether or not that was the intention.

__________________
Tumblr
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, beckham, jacobs, juergen, marc, s or s, teller, victoria
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.