How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-05-2005
neorealismo

I like when celebs are in campaigns... but not always! Please, give a chance for models !

21-05-2005
tailored

he'd rather use celebs but model kristen mcmenamy is starring in his f/w 05 ad campaign...

V.I.P.

i don't see much presence in a lot of celebs he mentioned, scarlett foremost.....

22-05-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
He's an idiot. That's the most convoluted and hypocritical thing I've ever heard. Uhhh....excusť moi but don't you use these so-called girls "without presence" in your shows?? If you've got such a disdain why not replace them for celebs? He's another jaded,contradictory,elitist designer who let's his massive ego do the talking for him.

Besides,any puppet can have presence when you put them in a $1,000 dollar crap dress,my dear man.
my thoughts exactly. It must be bad for all the models who he uses in his shows to hear he thinks they have no presence.

22-05-2005
Yes
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
Every time I read something Marc Jacobs has said, I dislike him more and more.
Me,too. I hope MJ knows he's a real a**(not sure if i can say it on the boards)

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian

they only put celebs in the ad campaigns because the average consumer wants to be just like them, and buy whatever they see their favourite celebrities wearing/carrying...and they want to do what they're doing... they want to live a fantasy.
i totally agree.

22-05-2005
V.I.P.

I think he's confusing presence with people knowing who you are. I always thought a campaign was supposed to reflect every customer not just the celebrities who get the clothes for free, think his clothes 'are like, so pretty' and jump on the fashion bandwagon whenever there is a party or gala. I love how he just dissed the women who do his shows twice a year and mostly, are genuine fans of his clothes. I too am harbouring a growing hatred of this man.

23-05-2005
scenester

i think that perhaps he is just "towing the line" so to speak.what he is doing is good business and to come out with "celebrities sell more handbags" would not impress those who are supposed to buying said hand bags and does not enhance the image of a company that is supposed to be about exclusive luxury not whoring it's wears to the masses.so he just generates a highly subjective reason to justify the use of celebrities to obscure the fact that it is for sales purposes.
perhaps i have become a little too cynical.

23-05-2005
V.I.P.

well personally i would rather see an intresting creative person in clothes than just a model, who is esentially a good maniquen, but the aim of the use of celebrities on advertising is not creativety it's $$$$$$$$$.....

tfs star

i have to admit, the models today are not as good as the models in the 70's 80's and 90's

23-05-2005
backstage pass

What gets me is the recent Marc Jacobs (i.e. not LV) campaign - he's using people so "real" it looks like Fashion for the Terminally Dumpy! I suppose that's the opposite side of the celebrity coin, equally overdone!

23-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery
What gets me is the recent Marc Jacobs (i.e. not LV) campaign - he's using people so "real" it looks like Fashion for the Terminally Dumpy! I suppose that's the opposite side of the celebrity coin, equally overdone!
I hate his adverts, they're soo creepy.

23-05-2005
tfs star

i liked his lv ss 2005 ads, and his ss 2004 ads

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemiu
well personally i would rather see an intresting creative person in clothes than just a model, who is esentially a good maniquen, but the aim of the use of celebrities on advertising is not creativety it's $$$$$$$$$.....
i agree. i think i am beating a dead horse here, but i do think it is pretty uncreative most of the time to have actors of the covers and it is $$..but i don't see how people could think models are underdogs.hardly! if that is the case.

24-05-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana_N
I think he's right in a way, the models today have a different presence than the "supermodels" back then. I mean the models back then carried out tons of interviews and things like that, but I have for example never heard someone like Gemma Ward, Natalia Vodianova or someone like that.

I do like seeing models in campaigns, but it might not sell as a celebrity.
totally agree

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ads, celebs, hed, jacobs, marc, models