How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-05-2005
backstage pass

i think us vogue is more of a lifestyle magazine, and articles about the rich and famous are going to get more attention from the average person than even the most beautifully shot editorials, especially if someone can look at the column beside the photo and see that the pants alone cost as much as a car.

because of their statistically unusual physical features, models probably can present the designer's vision in a more "true" way than an actor can. but without a famous face to wear the clothing to the oscars, who will know of the designer? who had heard of narciso rodriguez until carolyn bessette got married in his dress? well, maybe YOU had - but josephine average who buys vogue on her way out of safeway hadn't. she buys it to see what the rich are up to, not to dress like them and stand out in clothing no one else can relate to.

i guess i see this as part of a general dumbing down of america, not specific to the fashion industry. so i'm asking, what upsets people? -

1: actors and lifestyle (low culture) as opposed to art/fashion (high culture) dominating the content of vogue, or
2: models can do it better, and should be getting the jobs that actors are getting, or:
3: another issue.

sincerely wondering, meme

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoCalledPrep
sorry, but lots of models have presence.
exactly

V.I.P.

Eeeeeek, that's the reason why LV's bags are mostly bought by tacky people who want to look like X celeb.

How stupid.

26-05-2005
purplemood321

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme527
because of their statistically unusual physical features, models probably can present the designer's vision in a more "true" way than an actor can. but without a famous face to wear the clothing to the oscars, who will know of the designer? who had heard of narciso rodriguez until carolyn bessette got married in his dress? well, maybe YOU had - but josephine average who buys vogue on her way out of safeway hadn't. she buys it to see what the rich are up to, not to dress like them and stand out in clothing no one else can relate to.

i guess i see this as part of a general dumbing down of america, not specific to the fashion industry. so i'm asking, what upsets people? -

1: actors and lifestyle (low culture) as opposed to art/fashion (high culture) sincerely wondering, meme
"Josephine Average" probably earns a small salary - you know, somebody who is not "worthy" of overpriced clothing.

A smart American doesn't blow her salary on pointless clothing.

Art/fashion as "high" culture is seriously questionable.

31-05-2005
tfs star

Why does everyone talk about Kate's height? All the designers keep saying that they love Kate no matter what her height is blah blah...She is not THAT short , is she?

31-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

^^she's 5'7"...and she's tiny...
so yes...
she is......

31-05-2005
front row

5"7 isn't that short...is it?

Anyway, MJ doesn't realize people would rush off to wear what their fav celeb was wearing candid rather than in an Ad..considering if something looked good candid, it'll look good on your average joe too

31-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

as a model...
it is actually TOO SHORT...
there are almost no exceptions....

i don't think mj looks good on the 'average' person...
it usually looks frumpy and makes you look about 10 yrs older than you actually are...

31-05-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
Every time I read something Marc Jacobs has said, I dislike him more and more.
Same for me

trendsetter

It's true about the models back then having more "presence" (by presence I mean being EVERYWHERE) but I think it's because they were in the industry for so long. A lot of models now are in and out in a snap.

In my opinion, since a lot of the big name models were American(Christy, Cindy, etc) they made a bigger impression here than a lot of the European/Brazilian/Russian models because they were "closer to home" you could say. Magazines also interviewed them so we got to know more of their personality.

It makes me deslike Marc Jacobs that he alludes that models now have no personality or don't have character. What does he think they are? Just thin and beautiful robots? Magazines don't interview models anymore (I wish they did though) therefore we never get to know them (unlike the models of the 90s)

26-06-2005
V.I.P.

I kind of understand where he's coming from. Having lived with a rainbow of models, they all do begin to look/act the same. Most don't even want to be there, they're just kind of going thru the motions in order to make some money. But there are those special non-modely ones that usually end up working more than the others because they're presence does differ.

In short, yes, most models are boring. :p

26-06-2005
backstage pass

ok, so what if models are boring? they can create an image (an effective one), many of them do.. they can bring presence to the photo. MJ needs to recognize.

models these days don't have the opportunity to be like naomi and kate.. because of those hollywood celebs. they need to stop taking the models' jobs. renee makes enough money as it is.

i don't know what he is talking about.. madonna and demi for versace? that turned out real great.. so THEY are bringing more personality to the pictures? models are used to modeling.. it's what they do. if they are any good, they can have that "spunk" marc jacobs just so thoroughly explained. leave it to the pros...

30-06-2005
front row

Let's face it...the public is more interested in celebrities. If a Hilton or some super-Diva is in the ad (bad attitude or not) the public eats it up and will save and spend all their pennies to dress just like them. Sad but true. I'll admit it, I fall prey to it.

It's a smart move from a business stand point. He's just "using" their celebrity and I don't blame him. Jacobs is a business man.

30-06-2005
front row

besides.....celebrities are the new models and "real people" are the new celebrities thanks to the stupid craze of Reality TV.

01-07-2005
trendsetter

Hmm I cn see his point in a way.
Celebs "talk" to the public more than models.
It's not that they lack of presence it's just that models are like ghost without names for the public.I don't mind having a bit of celebs in campaigns.
Models may be better at modelling but it's easier to "speak" to the public with someone they know.

The ideal thing would be to have some supermodels again :-)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ads, celebs, hed, jacobs, marc, models