How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-12-2008
God Save McQueen

I guess I echo the sentiment that with Hedi you get one specific vision. The vision is strong, and he is very talented, but when I see this image I don't see Prada. Its a wonderful photo, but all I see is Hedi.

19-12-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
That being said, the first shot doesn't really 'show' any of the collection. It's a beautiful portrait shot and all but as a advertisement its a little superfluous, no?
I'm hoping the image got cut off somehow or it's only one half of the ad because...yeah beautiful portrait shot but I wanna see the clothes.

Not Thinking About Time

I love Hedi so much but I hate his style for Prada I just dont like it. And these are not super Hedi-ish pictures at all no crispness or strong black and white tones it is just so grey to me. I dont think that he will forever be Dior Homme either but I dont think a Prada ad is the right way to break that image.

Portfolio Last FM
19-12-2008
army of lovers

I don't even remember what the menswear collection was like. Isn't the point of ads showing the clothes people want to buy? Granted, this is only the preview but it just looks like his other portraits. Wait, maybe Prada is selling Slimane's name in order to sell their clothes? Hedi took the Prada pictures, now you go buy it because you love Hedi everything and miss Dior Homme so much.

20-12-2008
Mr. Magic

^ i see your point

20-12-2008
V.I.P.

i kind of feel embarassed (not sure about this word and its use in english ....) with the fact everybody cannot see Hedi Slimane as a photographer being paid and pleasing one of his client (it's an ad campain !! not an editorial) ... He doesn't show really his vision but the client's vision ...

When he shoots for a publication like V.Paris or V.Hommes it's ok to say that he shows his, that it's the same portraits all over (by the way have you seen Craig McDean portraits of artists in Interview ? ... well they do look very similar to the ones Hedi did some times ago for V.Hommes), same style, b&w etc.

But the man is evolving in photography ... Eventhough he makes photo as an amateur for a long time his style has changed, imo ... He went from details of scene to portraits of human being (portrait is a genre ... and he is, imo, not a bad portraitist).

anyway ... why everybody is judging the pictures because of Hedi Slimane - blaming him more than the concept .... It's an ad campain and I'm not sure the photog' is the one with the last word. Miuccia employed a photog' not an artist she would trust to death ...

And though you should raise one good point Jacque Marcel ... I'm more and more feeling bad to be so pessimistic about commercial images .... Prada can do a different thing for once in commercials (look, on the opposite, Chanel where we hadn't seen a face yet ....) She emphasizes indivual behaviour instead of an outfit ... Commercials are here to sell outfits ... But there are here to sell an Image of the brand, too !

But anyway time will tell ... We hadn't seen the whole campain ...

20-12-2008
V.I.P.

Did menswear S/S 09 come out already..
I can't even remember..
I thought menswear goes first and then women's,
but I realise I know what is in for the women's for spring

It's neat on the left there is a closeup of the shirt collar, a white relief http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...dels/prada.jpg Sounds interesting

22-12-2008
front row

Nice

23-12-2008
No One Does It Like You.

this is not what i expect from prada, especially for this collection. NOT a fan.

congratulations, nerds.

I know this wasn't the most popular campaign, but here's another version of it:

Scanned by Manuva from i-D Feb.

08-01-2009
V.I.P.

Who looks like a young Johnny Depp.

Good looking kids Prada got there.

Alluring

It's probably a disappointment of the season.

08-01-2009
backstage pass

not liking this ;(

i'm trying to imagine the mens ads looking the same way as the prada womens ads.. hmm that would be an interesting sight.

08-01-2009
Fat Karl

Is this even the same collection? I mean, why on earth would they not photograph those stunning halter strap windbreakers?

I know we only have a few images so far, but all we've seen are regular old suits and shirts...I don't get it...

V.I.P.

thank you, Manuva. I really like that shot and the previous one as well, I've always enjoyed Hedi's approach to clean lines and uncomplicated effects, it's quite refined and almost as striking as Vanderperre's work, I love that they're both into b&w and minimalism but it doesn't ever become a safety net for them or something pretentious (unlike M&M).. it may be boring or disappointing for some but I still keep in high regard those who can capture perfectly cut clothes through the camera without an urgent need to rely on an army of 'hot new faces', bad story-telling ads or 'outrageous' marketing.

and Berlin, great comment, this Hedi = Dior Homme, Bring back Phoebe, etc etc. type of uninformed melancholy... gah, I just want to scream a big old STFU.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, claude, hedi, louis, menswear, prada, s or s, simonon, slimane