How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-09-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
What do u mean by nieve?

so is colour what this is about? well u have a point, but like HeaTk said, all I see is a bunch of pretty women, not the colour. I think it depends on what kind of person you are, if you often have this racial thing in mind, then maybe you see differently?

Maybe considering the people behind the ad will make it clearer why this is offensive.. The people who specifically chose those models (as models are usually chosen---for the way they look, in which skin color obviously plays a huge part) were deliberately trying to make some sort of statement OR simply taking the easy way out by relying upon traditionally offensive imagery instead of being innovative (in which case the lack of foresight regarding how people might react is just irresponsible). To respond to that statement or the lack of creativity isn't just being overly sensitive or too concerned with race issues, but perceptive and critical where criticism is perfectly justified. Personally, I think it's an ugly, hurtful waste of paper and adspace. There are other ways to exemplify luxury. Slavery is so last millenium.

Last edited by Virginielle; 27-09-2007 at 07:22 PM.

27-09-2007
V.I.P.

I found it ironic that Bar (who is Israeli) was being served by "African" slaves. But no one but me seemed to get the irony of it

27-09-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmagique View Post
About the Vogue Italia editorial, being a photographer who works in the fashion industry doesn't exclude you from also being a person living and feeling on planet earth... it's not like Meisel's profession makes him less worthy than others to have something to say about war!
Meisel has grown up between chanel make-up and vogue magazines, I really doubt he has idea about what war is, if he had it those pictures wouldn't have been photographed.

does he want to say something about war? ok, then go Irak, take your pictures and let see what he finds, he would come back so traumatized that would disappear of the fashion world.

27-09-2007
barcode

^ Who gives a crap if he's never seen it first hand. You don't have to live directly involved in something to be allowed to express yourself regarding it, no matter how shallow that expression may be.

Why should Meisel have to walk on eggshells regarding a situation that has swallowed up the world as we know it. If it was strictly an artpiece, would people be criticizing it as they are now, or praising the daring statement it's making. I think this all goes back to the idea that because it's fashion, it doesn't really matter and therefore has no business being a part of the real world.

27-09-2007
V.I.P.

Um,I don't like the Meisel ed because it sucks, first of all, plus the timing was horrible and it has no real message except "OMG, oiled men frolicking with girls in expensive dresses". Yeah, so daring.

27-09-2007
trendsetter

I've showed the Tom Ford ads to a straight guy and he loves it. so tom ford is not totally off his bonkers.

27-09-2007
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen View Post
Um,I don't like the Meisel ed because it sucks, first of all, plus the timing was horrible and it has no real message except "OMG, oiled men frolicking with girls in expensive dresses". Yeah, so daring.
But if that's all it is then why are som many people up in arms about it?

27-09-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarryMeTomFord View Post
I've showed the Tom Ford ads to a straight guy and he loves it. so tom ford is not totally off his bonkers.
My boyfriend thinks the ads are great, too. :p

28-09-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
You don't have to live directly involved in something to be allowed to express yourself regarding it, no matter how shallow that expression may be.
yeah, that's the point where the ignorance is dreadful

28-09-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
But if that's all it is then why are som many people up in arms about it?
"sometimes we don't have to understand everything, sometimes there's not enough IQ to do it", that's the favorite phrase of my grandmother

28-09-2007
don't look down

But that Vogue Italia editorial did not educate, it glamorized the concept. How can war be entertaining? War has never been a person part of my life but I know people who have been through it and seen horrible things so for you sitting at your computer telling me that its normal is crazy.

That is precisely what I said - the Vogue Italia editorial is designed as entertainment, not education. And if we are honest, we are all guilty of enjoying 'war entertainment' at some point. We become offended when the conflict suddenly becomes personal to us.

As for myself, I live in Northern Ireland, and have lived through thirty years of terrorism in my own country. Thousands died. Everyone who has enjoyed a movie involving the IRA - such as The Devil's Own - has enjoyed a cheap thrill, without experiencing the reality of it. And it's the same with every conflict - from the World Wars right through to Iraq. They get used as entertainment. It's not right, but humans can't seem to help it.

28-09-2007
V.I.P.

Just looking at the cover, I liked the war element... but throughout the ed, the use of women as almost... prostitutes was a little disturbing.

28-09-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
But that Vogue Italia editorial did not educate, it glamorized the concept. How can war be entertaining? War has never been a person part of my life but I know people who have been through it and seen horrible things so for you sitting at your computer telling me that its normal is crazy.

That is precisely what I said - the Vogue Italia editorial is designed as entertainment, not education. And if we are honest, we are all guilty of enjoying 'war entertainment' at some point. We become offended when the conflict suddenly becomes personal to us.

As for myself, I live in Northern Ireland, and have lived through thirty years of terrorism in my own country. Thousands died. Everyone who has enjoyed a movie involving the IRA - such as The Devil's Own - has enjoyed a cheap thrill, without experiencing the reality of it. And it's the same with every conflict - from the World Wars right through to Iraq. They get used as entertainment. It's not right, but humans can't seem to help it.
It is entertaining war and that concept is not entertaining. How is war personal to me? I have never participated in a war but am from Russia so that concept is very familiar to me growing up in a post communist world. Vogue Italia has no place to put Chanel and Dior in the battlefield, where they do not belong. Want to educate? Write an article not half naked models prancing with soldiers.

29-09-2007
trendsetter

thinking of the event happen in burma right now, i just find the vogue italia editorial very sad.... not offendsive, but very very sad

29-09-2007
backstage pass

I did not agree with that editorial, it did not seem to have a purpose other than to shock people, but how can some one honestly watch a war movie and then get upset because of the editorial?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, ads, offensive, provocative