How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-09-2007
front row

I am a fan of war movies when they educate like Clint Eastwoods film (name escapes me), but editorials like these and movies who simply venture out for shock value and to glamorize do not agree with me one bit. You could use that logic for anything though: How can one watch films that deal with racism yet find the ad with Bar offensive? How can one read memoirs and watch movies dealing with drugs and be offended by Sisley ads?

30-09-2007
backstage pass

^Yeah, that is true. I didn't mean stuff like Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers but there are some bad war movies out there that don't really do anything, and after all they are in the entertainment industry.

30-09-2007
V.I.P.

To whomever said that Meisel's editorial wasn't glamorizing anything; you think it's normal for oiled, half naked male soldiers to run around drinking and twirling around half naked women in dresses that cost as much as they make in a year? Goodness, I'd love to see you join the military and see what it's really like!

30-09-2007
windowshopping

^Right, because all ads in fashion magazines are sooooo relevant to reality... . I see the point your trying to make on the topic, but that's just a poor argument for it. The realism of the ad has nothing to do with it's content pertaining to the current war.

30-09-2007
V.I.P.

Uh, I didn't say it did I was disputing the fact that people said it doesn't glamorize war.

30-09-2007
backstage pass

^^She was saying that it WAS glamourizing...which it is...

Wait...I think I am missing the point you (canonman) are trying to make What are you trying to say?

Last edited by joiedemode; 30-09-2007 at 06:36 PM.

30-09-2007
V.I.P.

LOL, and who are you referring to? I'm talking about people on this thread and the actual thread for the magazine who said it didn't glamorize war. And yes, people said that. I think it's tacky, pointless and just a poor editorial all around. Meisel's done far better.

30-09-2007
backstage pass

^I was agreeing with you but I was talking to canonman...sorry I did not make that clear

10-10-2007
God Save McQueen

Tom Ford strikes again. This isn't an actual ad, but its interesting

Quote:
Product Placement

Tom Ford recreates the double standard in an exclusive cheeky outtake that was too racy for Out to print in the magazine's pages

Photographed by Terry Richardson

Not only did Tom Ford drop his drawers for Out's photographer, he also commandeered our shoot to mock up the design for a new ad.

"It was meant to be a play on the new campaign," Ford says, "but thereís a double standard with featuring female nudity and featuring male nudity. When people say to me, ĎWell, you objectify women,Ē [I say,] Iím an equal opportunity objectifier. We had a lot of magazines reject the female version [of the campaign], so the male version is going to get rejected even more."
out.com

call me immature, but this was my reaction to that image

10-10-2007
V.I.P.

My face was like that when I saw it
It's too much I think, even for me

10-10-2007
V.I.P.

HAHAHA ooooh tom is genius

10-10-2007
V.I.P.

I have to agree. Yeah it's vulgar but at least he's an equal opportunity objectifier.

11-10-2007
windowshopping

The fact that the Tom Ford ads are getting all of this discussion (positive or negative) merely serves to underscore the fact that the ad campaign has (like it or not) done its job.

11-10-2007
trendsetter

I think we are missing the point re. the war editorial.

I understand these as images of the fleeting visions/hallucinations of beauty and loved ones seen by those suffering in combat, in pain and under extreme conditions...those visions that keep them going, keep them alive.

Notice the dream-like lighting, the far away looks in the eyes, the sense of wonder and innocence in the soldiers faces, the situations of tenderness or childlike frolic, combined with the etherial goddess/fairy/angel-like quality of the women. I see that this ad positions women as bringers of hope and light.

Like someone said, I dont think it's offensive in the least, it's just sad. I don't think it glamourizes war. In fact, I do believe that this editorial captures in a poignant way the significance of beauty and tenderness--and yes, fashion as a reflection of that--in our violence-ridden world. That said, I do not find the aesthetic value of the photos very high at all, but that's another matter. :p

What I did find misguided in terms of war and fashion was Junya's runway show a few seasons back where the clothes were overtly interpretations of military fatigues made to look like violence was a desirable expression of power. As much as I love Junya and even his military-inspired clothes, that show was a little low-minded, if not perhaps reflective of the coddled mentality where war is but a far-away macho dream "safely" contained in hollywood or the middle east.

29-10-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
Tom Ford strikes again. This isn't an actual ad, but its interesting

*Please do not quote images*

out.com

call me immature, but this was my reaction to that image
I dont really understand this Ad hahahahaha but I think its really nasty LOL

Edit** I just read this wasnt an Ad hahaha

Last edited by DosViolines; 16-03-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Please see tFS Community Rules - quoting images

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, ads, offensive, provocative