How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2013
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Why choose someone like this?
Shock factor, to have people talk about it would be my first guesses. The easiest form of shock factor, aswell. I guess the general public still associates Manson with something outrageous, even though this is not 1997 and he's nothing more than a sad caricature at the moment.

31-03-2013
fashion insider

Manson's milkshake brings all the goth boys to the yard. He might be a caricature now but he's also an icon. If only this was Slimane's own brand and not YSL.

31-03-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post
Manson's milkshake brings all the goth boys to the yard. He might be a caricature now but he's also an icon. If only this was Slimane's own brand and not YSL.
Icon for whom?! I may be wrong but honestly do not know of any circles where Manson is seen as a respected artist. Nowadays he's always portrayed as a saddo, like a 40 something year old Emo.

But i agree with you and I liked Slimage's work, I think I may still even have somewhere a cofee table book of photographs he did With Doherty. But come on nowdays they are nothing more than mementos of a certain period, i just find it astonishing that there is not evolution at all in his work. But most important that he's unable to create a different narrative for Saint Laurent. It's like he's simply using an iconic name in order to sell something no one would under his own name.

31-03-2013
clever ain't wise

^It is a personal preference whether you like manson or nor. But he is definitely an icon for a lot of ppl who are not into "good taste". And that is what makes him perfect for this campaign.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 01-04-2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Clarifying the concept "good taste"
31-03-2013
V.I.P.

Awesome. Manson is by far the closest thing we had from a true rockstar in the last decade and i'm not even into his music. Can't wait to see more of this.

fashion insider

Pardon me but fan or not, there is absolutely no denying that Manson is a respected 90's rock icon, right up there with Billy Corgan, Trent Reznor, Kurt Cobain, Maynard James Keenan etc.

Last edited by Morphe; 31-03-2013 at 08:46 PM.
31-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
Shock factor, to have people talk about it would be my first guesses. The easiest form of shock factor, aswell. I guess the general public still associates Manson with something outrageous, even though this is not 1997 and he's nothing more than a sad caricature at the moment.
I'm sorry but what exactly is "shock factor" about this? It's a simple portrait of a super intelligent and talented artist, like the one of Beck for example. I fail to see what's so controversial and outrageous.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post
Pardon me but fan or not, there is absolutely no denying that Manson is a respected 90's rock icon, right up there with Billy Corgan, Trent Reznor, Kurt Cobain, Maynard James Keenan etc.
Respected artist? He's consistently portrayed as a joke by any credible press nowdays. The other day I saw him referred as "cartoon Belzebu" by the Guardian. His interviews are actually always quite funny because in an age of where everyone is super scared as coming across as ridiculous, he's blissfully unaware that the interviewers see him ( at least in Europe) as a sort of panto character.

02-04-2013
tfs star

and the grave gets deeper.

Marilyn Manson has never had mass market appeal, I don't see the point in putting him in the ad.

Hedi is going to far and trying to distinguish YSL as a new brand...if this is a new brand then call it a new brand shortening the original name does not cut it for me.

Its like they want the prestige but none of the cliental....

02-04-2013
fashion insider

The only thing Hedi knows is how to create a buzz.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Respected artist? He's consistently portrayed as a joke by any credible press nowdays. The other day I saw him referred as "cartoon Belzebu" by the Guardian. His interviews are actually always quite funny because in an age of where everyone is super scared as coming across as ridiculous, he's blissfully unaware that the interviewers see him ( at least in Europe) as a sort of panto character.
Keyword: nowadays. You said it.
He's a joke now for sure because at his age, he can't get rid of certain passť and contrived attitudes. I was talking about the '90s/early '00s and he was a shock rock god back then. Heck, they even blamed the Columbine High School massacre on him at some point.

The point here is, Hedi is stuck in the nineties, like your typical 40 yo dude who is reminiscent of his youth and is like "those were the times, everything was better back then" etc.

Last edited by Morphe; 02-04-2013 at 06:18 AM.
02-04-2013
clever ain't wise

^I hardly think the Guardian or any "credible press" ever liked him, or any glam/trash/goth metal anyway. And why should he start dressing differently because he's getting older, just because it's the norm....

I agree with Marc10 on this, why would this be shocking. Manson is an icon in certain circles, undoubtedly. And I think he photographs better than Michael Stipe or Bono or any "approved by the Guardian star" any day of the week.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, brauw, hedi, laurent, manson, marilyn, mens, s or s, saint, saskia, slimane