How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-04-2013
front row

Saint Laurent Music Project by Hedi Slimane

Quote:
It's fashion legend that Yves Saint Laurent dressed both Mick and Bianca Jagger for their wedding in St Tropez, May 1971. How well the bride wore white YSL tailoring was the ultimate endorsement of Monsieur Yves' sartorial liberation, a crowning glory years before 75's iconic Helmut Newton photograph.

In 2013, Kim Gordon half-wears a Le Smoking, photographed by Hedi Slimane as part of his Saint Laurent music project, premiered here. A portrait series drawing on the relationship between rock icons and the house since its earliest days, the killer move being the artists style themselves in its seasonal and permanent collections to create an image of their own expression.

Inaugurated when the creative shot Christopher Owens as part of Saint Laurent's reset, the ex-Girl was succeeded by Beck for the SS13 campaign. And follows Slimane's history clothing Bowie, Jagger, The Libertines, The Kills, Franz Ferdinand; his ongoing photographic Rock Diary featuring emerging and established talents; commissioning show soundtracks by Daft Punk, Ty Segall and Thee Oh Sees as well as shooting Sky Ferreira for Saint Laurent's pre-fall lookbook.

Gordon maintains the signature brilliance of a mannish woman in her picture, even nabbing Hedi's own scarf. Part suited she treads a tightrope familiar from Sonic Youth, a free spirited girl with total TCB steeliness.

Courtney Love, photographed several times by Slimane over the past decade, is seen at home in a pinstriped suit and silk ruffle shirt wigging out over her guitar. Let It Bleed, Love's ink locked in standoff with an evening dress, is a statement Mick J has history with, cake sculpture optional.

Marilyn Manson, he who drawled “I’m not an artist but a ****ing work of art” follows, complemented by Ariel Pink who shows off his party trick with chipped nail polish. Both wear bikers.

If Yves Saint Laurent was fascinated with the arts – think of the epic Ballet Russes collection of AW76, though not only – this quartet have a subliminal link in Hedi's exploration of West Coast cultural mythology.

Beyond that? They wear it well, a reminder of the magnetic insouciance that separates a rock star with someone who is simply in a band. Vive la difference.
dazeddigital

02-04-2013
tfs star

OMG what did I miss? Is it 1993 again?

fashion insider

I don't want to identify myself with these people! They are passé!

V.I.P.

Amazing photographs, especially Kim's

rising star

Yeah, Kim is just about the best thing ever.

02-04-2013
boop

I might not love the current direction of Saint Laurent, but these photos are pretty awesome as far as I'm concerned.

02-04-2013
earthbound

i was thinking, what does ariel pink have to do with any of these people? but he kind of looks like kurt cobain most of the time, so it's ok.

02-04-2013
fashion insider

Hedi Slimane is obviously aware of the 90s nostalgia thats currently going on with the youth and I wouldn't doubt it if he's ever been on tumblr and seen the littlle sub-cults surrounding the ~omg 90s~ mood. Therefore the people featured on those ads deff have a market to cater to, its a good strategy.

Last edited by CrisGalaxy; 02-04-2013 at 10:58 AM.
02-04-2013
backstage pass

Stupid, Cheap and so on..

02-04-2013
fashion insider

"Vanity Project," more like. I swear, it is impossible to keep up with the advertising for this brand. This is just overkill.

02-04-2013
V.I.P.

Manson pic is amazing!!!!!

02-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
I don't want to identify myself with these people! They are passé!
you don't have to identify yourself with them..simply because they are unique and super cool, alternative modern icons in their way!!! It's Hedi's inspiration and personal aesthetic sense (btw I hate his last Fall collection), he has always been in this grunge/rock/punk chic mood and the pics are gorgeous.
You don't have to identify yourself in Monica Bellucci just because she's in the Dolce campaign..it's their inspiration..and you can like it or not.

Last edited by AlbertNoir; 02-04-2013 at 12:08 PM.
02-04-2013
fashion elite

saint laurent paris should be renamed as saint laurent LA.

02-04-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamine W View Post
OMG what did I miss? Is it 1993 again?
Apparently so. I'm starting to wonder how many times will i have to re live my teenage years before the "taste makers" change their record and actually stop recycling the past. It's feeling like Groundhog day for me.

02-04-2013
Soviet Camaro

Hedi has always been about androgyne rock and roll and has never pretended to be interested in anything else. For people who like the look, he is reliable and often delivers it better than anyone else.

There are plenty of designers who work in different oeuvres, for those who want something different. I find it odd that people are so invested in slamming him for staying within his milieu.

What I find interesting about this campaign is that he is showing OG rock stars, with all their wear and tear, instead of the "scandalously" youthful models he has historically favored. This says something, I think, about his belief that this is a look and a life that transcends any moment.

Last edited by tangerine; 02-04-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, ariel, courtney, hedi, kim, laurent, marilyn, music, project, saint, slimane