Tom Ford 'Black Orchid' Fragrance 2016 : Mica Arganaraz by Nick Knight - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2016
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
If what you saying is what crossed their minds... well, it's not really evident they where going for surreal. Tim Walker is surrealism, this looks like they really wanted to make it look it real, but the amount of smoke-effect on her shoulder is hilarious next to her clean face, which is just a few centimeters away. I can't help but feeling someone accidentally rubbed charcoal on the original image and messed it up. I'm surprised Trey Laird was the art director since he did a very good job with Cara's version.
I think what Phuel is saying, ultimately, is that Nick Knight's entire aesthetic isn't based on realism at all. His work is proudly artificial and deliberately produced/manipulated looking, to the point that sometimes it really does veer into surreal or impressionistic territory.

I don't know that the concept here was a slam dunk, but if the lighting and smoke effects are fake looking I'd be shocked if that wasn't intentional on the part of him and his team of collaborators.

01-09-2016
V.I.P.

Ugh. I want to like Mica because she's everywhere and i like the campaign but i hate her hair.

backstage pass

Maybe if there was a wind machine blowing her hair up in the air and blending more with the smoke, but this image is almost too still.

20-09-2016
fashion elite

20-09-2016
barcode

I have to say, seeing the videos sort of puts the smokey effect into a different perspective. In fact it works much, much better as a moving image and has more of that Nick Knight spirit to it.

Love the exploding bottle, partly because it suits the personality of the fragrance that actually comes out of it and partly because it reminds me of the exploding jukebox in the Freedom '90 video.

Last edited by Spike413; 20-09-2016 at 05:35 PM.

21-09-2016
V.I.P.

Yeah, no. Not even the video can persuade me. The latter is better than the print, but it's just too dark and cliched.

21-09-2016
V.I.P.

I like the explosion of the bottle, but I just hate it that someone is trying to sell me something and I can't even see her eyes.

21-09-2016
fashion icon

I only like the video from the Bottle explosion part. The first part is slightly uncomfortable.
There's nothing sensual about Mica holding the bottle and trying to sell it to us. Yes, Nick Knight tried to create a mood but i don't know if it's a good mood.

It could have been more evocative like his Dior J'adore campaign with Charlize on the bed...

It's frustrating!

Maybe Tom should go back to do everything himself. He can obviously shoot a commercial!
Black Orchid doesn't even need a campaign with someone on. It is selling quite well...

25-09-2016
front row

the video is way better than the photos...

27-09-2016
V.I.P.

ELLE Singapore October 2016 Digital Edition

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2016, arganaraz, black, ford, fragrance, knight, mica, nick, orchid, tom