How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Ad Campaigns
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-12-2008
Plain Ol' Beautiful

I was a bit harsh, ok, but actually I really think her pose is a bit bodybuilder.

17-12-2008
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post

I don't mind her muscles, I think Stephanie has one of the best bodies out there. I just feel as though she's such an odd choice for Valentino, particularly Alessandra's version of Valentino. For me Stephanie will always be one of the quintessential Versace girls. She has that power and strength to her beauty/sexuality.

For Valentino I feel as though the look is much more understated and soft. Not that the Valentino woman is meek but she's certainly more restrained. If they were going for a super someone like say Christy might have been a better choice.
i totally agree...
if this were for versace (especially the last few seasons), i think it would be amazing (minus the claw hands...), almost like a harkening to the old versace ads that avedon shot...

the problem is that alessandra's vision of valentino is much more soft and feminine, and this is such a switch compared to last seaon's ads, which made sense for the house...
i wonder if she even had anything to do with this campaign, since she was let go right after the show...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair View Post
i wonder if she even had anything to do with this campaign, since she was let go right after the show...
indeed, I wonder the same thing.

I like this shot. The pose with the arms up is typical for I&V so maybe they shot it?

17-12-2008
V.I.P.

^^Oh good point, i wonder if they shot it aswell, i hope they did.

17-12-2008
fashion insider

Oh thank goodness someone called out all the "She's a maaaaan-like crazy body builder!!" simply because our virgin eyes got exposed to a model who doesn't think exercise is a few cross-legged yoga poses. (Apparently "feminine" for some in this thread is a by word for soft mushy legs and arms....Poor female athletes. Doomed to the manly life .)

Anyway! I think Luxx best explained this opinion (without the distorted body image talk) and I agree with her . It's a phenomenal shot...but not what I associate with Valentino. If this were Versace now...it would have totally kicked the YSL-Schiffer butt for me. That image screams power *as Heidi Klum would say on her GNTM in her adorable German accent*.

fashion insider

I think the same as BerlinRock, 90's models had really good bodies...not all that socalled models who are 15, undernourished, skinny, childish, equal girls...

They seem they're going to fall while they are walking along the catwalk...

17-12-2008
trendsetter

Last season's ads were incredibly boring. This is a fashion advertisement. It's simple, classic and powerful. Stephanie looks stunning (though her hands seem a little large), the dress looks beautiful and the lighting is perfect. What more could you ask for?

17-12-2008
fashion insider

Versace is now much more tacky than it was, now it pretends to be refined but it's everything a costume...

17-12-2008
there is no fear

Oh,i love it.It's magnificent to me.Can't wait to get my Vogue.

17-12-2008
don't look down

I never even noticed the muscles until people said; to be honest, I like the sight of models with this type of physique - long limbs with god-given proportions with light muscular curves - because that way, they manage to look thin, healthy, sexy and powerful.

To me, this ad is trying to say - look, this body is a work of art, and this dress is also a work of art (though I'm less impressed by the latter).

Disappointed that it's in b/w, but I guess they are going for a 'classic' look, making the campaign as pared-down as possible.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 17-12-2008 at 03:29 PM.
17-12-2008
fashion icon

Regarding the comments that Stephanie "really isn't a Valentino girl":
Well, Valentino "really isn't" Valentino without Valentino.
So why does it matter if Stephanie is in Valentino ads or not?

17-12-2008
army of lovers

I like the juxtaposition of a strong, vampy model with the delicate dress. Having an "elfin" like model would have been too obvious.

17-12-2008
barcode

^ I'm feeling the same way. After reading more of the comments, I find myself really liking the idea of a strong, amazonian looking woman in very light, delicate clothing.

Plus it's just a nice change of pace to see a womanly, developed body.

17-12-2008
Unveil Yourself....

Ahh boo....Stephanie doesn't carry the fragility that the collection had so this disappoints me very much This would have been one campaign where I would not mind soft pastel colors and fragile girls...

twitter.com/ErikP87
17-12-2008
V.I.P.

ugh

seeing Alessandra's work AGAIN just drives the nail into my heart.

AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, marcus, mert, s or s, seymour, stephanie, valentino