How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-05-2011
backstage pass

Aesthetics of ugliness
Hi, I started this thread to know more artists and works which use this aesthetic in an interesting way. If you have pictures, paints, sculptures, etc. which are aesthetically uglies post them also I have a lot of pictures... because I love ugliness in art

The Ugly Duchess by Quentin Massys | National Gallery, London

lib-art
The Four Seasons by Giuseppe Arcimboldo, ca. 1590

arthistory.about
Park of the Monsters in Bomarzo, Italy. There's a great book by an Argentine writer called Mujica Lainez about this awesome place and an opera by an Argentine composer also I'm in love with this place

wikimedia

I hope you find them as interesting as I did

Last edited by Perickles; 10-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.

10-05-2011
Hell on Heels

Very interesting topic. You might know this already, considering that you're interested in the topic, but italian philosopher and semiotician Umberto Eco actually wrote a book on ugliness - frequently analysing it in /taking examples from figurative arts - ( i think the english title is actually 'On ugliness'). It's a great read.

fantasticfiction.co.uk

remaining on topic, while i was looking for the book cover i ran into this painting that has always creeped me out so much, by italian reinassance painter lavinia fontana:

bloodmilkjewelry.blogspot.com/

and about the Bomarzo park, I love it so much, I remember being so scared when my parents first took me there when I was a child. It's a shame there aren't many decent photos online of the other 'monsters'

Last edited by mistress_f; 10-05-2011 at 10:03 PM.

10-05-2011
backstage pass

Yes I got that book! is already a classical reading in here , that's the reason because I appreciate the ugliness now and I love it! thanks for mention it. In Spanish it's called La historia de la fealdad, (The History of the Ugliness).

I got more examples

Saturn Devouring his Son (1636) by Peter Paul Rubens|Prado, Madrid, Spain

Saturn Devouring his Son (c. 1819–1823) by Francisco Goya as part of his Black Paintings|Prado, Madrid, Spain

It's nice to know the history of saturn to understand these works, so I recomend read it in wikipedia

Last edited by Perickles; 10-05-2011 at 11:21 PM.
10-05-2011
backstage pass

I forgot it...those pictures were taken from steveartgallery and madsilence.files

flaunt the imperfection

i just really like the title of this thread...
:p

12-05-2011
backstage pass

Mujer llorando 2 by Fernando Botero

paintinghere
Easy!, The Scream by Munch

digitalheartbeats

backstage pass

Jesus Christ
Martyred Christ

elpais

The tortured Christ by Guido Rocha

twentywowords

Quote:
The beautiful has but one type, the ugly has a thousand
Victor Hugo

Last edited by Perickles; 23-05-2011 at 01:48 PM.
23-05-2011
backstage pass

I just adore Saturn Devouring His Son by Francisco Goya, I've loved it for years now! This thread is really cool.

Last edited by JennaaMonroe; 23-05-2011 at 05:59 PM.
23-05-2011
backstage pass

I love all Black Paintings by Francisco Goya, they were made in the later years of his life, that explains why they're really amazing, his creative process was in high level because maybe her feelings were so intensive due he knew he had little time in this world
Dos viejos comiendo sopa (Two Old Men Eating Soup) - 1819-1823| Museo del Prado, Madrid

wikipedia

backstage pass

Pietŗ by Carlo Crivelli Museum of Art, Philadelphia, United States

allart.biz

backstage pass

uglyrenaissancebabies at tumblr selected as tumblr of the week by dazed and confused

trendsetter

Oh my God, I will have nightmares. Really interesting thread idea, but... blech!

backstage pass

Great inspiration!

The first art work called La Voracidad (The Voracity) was made by the Argentine painter Antonio Berni in 1964. The second picture called Crocodile Eating Ballerina was taken by the German photographer Helmut Newton in 1983.

latinart
christies

Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaaMonroe View Post
I just adore Saturn Devouring His Son by Francisco Goya, I've loved it for years now! This thread is really cool.

As do I; it quite genuinely frightens me, and in turn, intrigues me.

14-05-2012
El Viaje Definitivo

" the question is whether his ever stronger craving for beauty, for festivals, pleasures, new cults was rooted in some deficiency, privation, melancholy, pain? supposing that this were true---and pericles (or thucydides) suggests as much in the great funeral oration---how should we then have to explain the origin of the opposite craving, which developed earlier in time, the craving for the ugly; the good, severe will of the older greeks to pessimism, to the tragic myth, to the image of everything underlying existence that is frightful, evil, a riddle, destructive, fatal? what, then, would be the origin of tragedy? perhaps joy, strength, overflowing health, overgreat fullness? and what, then, is the significance, physiologically speaking, of that madness out of which tragic and comic art developed---the dionysian madness? "

- nietzsche

ekin
from muian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ekin.jpg (168.2 KB, 2 views)

Let the stars decide
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
aesthetics, ugliness