How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-12-2007
girl who fell to earth

the pear light is lovely

i think it's great that it looks like an actual tree

26-12-2007
seagreen serenades

Stuart Haygarth - 'Aladdin'
Quote:
This body of work called ĎAladdiní is based on collections of different coloured glassware found in flea markets, car boot sales and junk shops. The groupings of glassware although different in shape, texture and function are united by their respective colour. At present there are four separate collections : amber, green, purple and clear, each differing in size reflecting the relative quantities of objects found.
The collections are housed in lightbox vitrines resembling museum showcases, which would normally be used to display artefacts but here actually function as floor lights. When illuminated the glassware magically glows like jewels. Although the glassware is presented in a precious way giving the objects a treasure like appearance, Ďall that glitters is not goldí.

stuarthaygarth.com

26-12-2007
seagreen serenades

Spectacle
Quote:
Spectacle is created from 1020 pairs of prescription spectacles which are linked together to resemble a traditional tiered chandelier. By using prescriptive spectacles which were once an essential tool for seeing an interesting analogous line is drawn between their old and new purposes. A mirror ball light effect is produced as the light is refracted through the several layers of lenses. The chandelier comes in two sizes.
Materials : acrylic platform, plastic framed spectacles.

stuarthaygarth.com

26-12-2007
seagreen serenades

Block lamp

crossroads.se

26-12-2007
seagreen serenades

Lumen Oil Lamp
Designed by Adam Frank - The further the lumen is from the wall, the larger the shadow from the acid-etched form

www.aplusrstore.com

27-12-2007
girl who fell to earth

very cool strawb!

i want one of those

cool website.. i will definitely browse when i get a chance

27-12-2007
backstage pass

Love the umbrellas in 133.

I am thinking of doing a ghetto (diy) version of the Jeeves top hat in my hall....

If you wish to know my feelings about the masses, they seem to be suffering from an excess "m".
28-12-2007
the crying of humanity

The lighting at Disneyland during the Christmas season is amazing! Look at all the detail put into It's a Small World.

mouseplanet.com

front row

Johan Carpner

belowtheclouds.com

Quote:
dandelight

hand-made by the designer themselves
LED light with real dandelion seeds
9V battery
dimensions: 11 x 18 x 5 cm

designboom

Love Letter Lights

Quote:
Love letter is a series of lighting sculptures which emit soft ambient lighting through the use of an electroluminescent film suspended within a translucent envelope. Using a dry erase marker a message can be written directly on the film, which will then glow like candlelight as the surrounding light darkens. If desired, a thin object such as a leaf can be inserted into the envelope to create a different effect. The position of the light source, the suspended electroluminescent film, can be adjusted to create a greater or lesser bow in the support wire.

The base of the light sculptures are made either of felt rocks - high density blocks of pure wool felt - each one being completely unique or of a white marble cylinder that is an actual core from the making of the marble base of the Arco lamp, designed by Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni in 1962.
Quote:
Designer: Stephanie Forsythe & Todd MacAllen
The love letter series lights are simply beautiful. The concept of using electroluminescent film to write messages which glows in the dark will capture your heart and imagination. This is not just a light, it is also an amazing artpiece.
plushpod

V.I.P.

maybe someone can help me.. I remember finding somewhere lights like these, except they were white and had little hole punch cutout details. They were in the $500-700 range. My browser crashed before I saved the link and I kind of forgot about them but I want to take another look. Any ideas what they could be?

unicahome

28-01-2009
Storm & Sommer

I LOVE this tho' I'm not completely sure how it actually works
I wish it wasn't just an installation but an industrial design piece

from littlewonder-design.com
Quote:
liquid sky (sunshade / window blind)
Mornington Reginal Gallery, Mornington Australia (11.08-02.09)

'liquid sky' is a multi-layered textile sunshade/blind that captures the particularities of sea, air and light. It acts as a camera obscura, both filtering and collecting light in its surfaces. As with the reflected light created by the gentle movement of the sea, which shifts from the dazzle of glittering reflections to the subtlety of calm fog, the light captured by the sunshade/blind similarly dynamically shifts with changing wind and daylight.

'liquid sky' resulted from a commission by the Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery to exhibit a design proposal based on the area of the Mornington Penninsula extending from Frankston south to Rosebud, which is a popular summer residential and recreational destination for Victorians. Its abundant sunshine, fresh sea air, and clean water has offered the perfect stage for generations of Melbourne architects to explore new ideas.

Pressures wrought by development threaten not only the attainability of the waterfront experience, but the very nature of that experience itself, potentially diminishing those particular attributes of serenity and convenience, proximity and seclusion that the waterfront offers. Thus, rather than building another summer single-family residence, little wonder proposed to make the experience portable.

To bring even this one aspect of the bay side environment into the home, whether of city center, suburb, or holiday homeowners, would be to enliven domestic life, injecting something of the exceptional experience into the everyday routine.

'liquid sky' installs as a typical window blind, and could be applied as an outdoor shade for the balcony, loggia, terrace, garden pavilion and so on. little wonder is currently searching for a suitable manufacturer.
little_wonder_liquid_sky.jpg
mocoloco.com

liquid-sky-animated-sunshade-little-wonder1.jpg
cubeme.com/blog

Click to activate gif
animation.gif
littlewonder-design.com

pinterest : hanneonpin

Last edited by Hanne; 28-01-2009 at 04:42 PM.
30-01-2009
Storm & Sommer

'messenger' light / 2008
'messenger' light allows you to project illuminated messages within the home. made from stainless steel wire and a concrete base, 'messenger' light is a small version of a spotlight. personal messages are written onto PVC film which are then magnified and projected onto the wall to be viewed. a flat lens at the end of the spotlight aids in the adjustment and focus of messages.
+ Jaebeom Jeong Design Lab via pan-dan.blogspot.com

01_messenger.jpg 04_messenger.jpg

pinterest : hanneonpin
11-02-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvystone View Post
Love Letter Lights

plushpod

this is really amazing. the electroluminescent technology. i did some research on the electroluminescent film strip or flatlite in some cases, but couldn't really answer my question--

the love letter lamps aren't pictured with an inverter, but are they attached to one? or are the strips lighting up in reaction to their contact with the wire alone?

this is probably a stupid question but is it possible to light the electroluminescent strip without the use of a battery pack/inverter/wall plug in??
this could change my world.

Last edited by Hanne; 11-02-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: *please do not quote images*
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lighting