How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-04-2007
Stitch:the Hand

Andrea Crews-"Queer As Folks"
I'm not entirely sure if this is the logical place to post this or in photography but since it's art photography not fashion i thought this would be great here.

but this is a fantastic series of images. emphasising an exuberant variety of folk costume...and especially hats. i dunno where they got hold of all these pieces but they are soooo beautiful...

I dunno exactly,the origin,of each costume piece.....looks a bit mixed together.

*http://www.andreacrews.com

02-04-2007

02-04-2007
V.I.P.

lovely photos, Scott thanks

I always wondered why they have the flowers or garlands on their heads. Is it primarily a European thing? I always see it... And a lot of festivals there seem to have people dressing up with these.
It's awesome how these photos look very contemporary, the way they're wearing the clothes. It's only a hint of folk costume--they're not completely decked out. Inspires me to try it myself, although in the past I remember it didn't suit me at all
I remember you saying you wanted to see a thread on designers inspired by different ethnic cultures, Scott. I think that would be an interesting idea I haven't seen it here yet, I don't think

02-04-2007
backstage pass

gius, I'm not sure if I understand your question, but if you are asking why flower garlands are worn i womens hair along with folk costumes, the answer is quite easy I think - folk costumes were the most festive, expensive clothes people owned. They were worn for festive occasions and for festive occasions girls use what they can to make themselves more beautiful. In an age before makeup, flowers are pretty much it.

Too bad you don't know where the costumes are from Scott.

02-04-2007

^indeed. it's all just so rich and decadent that i can see the fun

gius,i still want to do one. i think i'll gather some images and get one posted soon.

i'm with you though,i would love to try some of those pieces! i like the box hat with the ribbon-bow and the backward gold bonnet. both of which are on men! but i agree,the way it's presented is kind of the concept,i think. taking on the traditional,folkloric garb and adapting all that in a modern world. i noticed in some of the links for the images,also,there was one distinct term....rebel.

blondes,i maybe completely,horribly and ignorantly wrong but i do see a bit of hungarian embroidery(as in that waist-coat),perhaps some similar embroidery, in that last piece,to austrian trachten.

02-04-2007
rÍverie

very whimsical ... thanks scott those huge waist cinchers are fantastic

03-04-2007
V.I.P.

I love the bouquet of flowers on the third man's head. Definitely something I'd wear every day.

04-04-2007
V.I.P.

I thought it had something to do with the TV series, lol.

04-04-2007
V.I.P.

Interesting, thanks Scott

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
andrea, crewsqueer, folks