How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-10-2009
V.I.P.

Perfect Blue was a bit disturbing.. First time I'd seen an anime like that. Violent from what I remember... but definitely worth watching. Make sure your parents aren't around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
I always liked Michiru, my dream girl. She and Haruka makes a perfect duo. Oh and I'm always get excited if the soldiers get a new transformation movie.
Uranus and Neptune have the best theme songs

18-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
Make sure your parents aren't around
Best comment today. No worries..I live alone

dudeist

so, I've finally found the courage and the time to read Vagabond, and my veredict is that it's the best manga I've ever read (and probably the best manga ever written). The artwork alone makes it worth reading, in fact that's the reason why I started reading it, but the storyline is great as well and it keeps getting better with the time, now it's less about fights and it's become something more... philosophical, I can understand that some people don't like that though. But anyway, I like as well that it always stays realistic, the evolution of the characters is based on their personality and not on some absurd power-ups that can make you move mountains. Even the fight against the 70 yoshioka is as realistic as possible (considering how impossible it is), nothing to do with the Sasuke disposes of 70 fooder ninja in .5 seconds.
And I'd like to mention the side characters as well, because they are really well portrayed, it's not one of those mangas that totally focus on one person and forgets the rest. In fact, I think Matahachi is my favourite character, such a great looser.
So to sum up, this manga is: perfect. Maybe the only thing that I didn't like is that Matahachi's mother is too anoying till the end.

Sorry for the long paragraph . Other mangas that I've started reading: Wolf Guy - wolfen crest, Sekirei (totally shameful, I know) and Gamaran, really promising, I just hope it stays as it is in terms of fights, no superpowers please. The plot needs to be improved though, the tournament thing has been used too many times.

Last edited by flyingace; 07-12-2009 at 06:25 AM.
07-12-2009
Mr. Magic

I know Vagabond, but I'm not interested in it. Maybe I'll start reading it after I watch your summary

BTW, does anyone here had read 'Ikigami' by Motoro Mase? Such a concept.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikigami...Ultimate_Limit

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

08-12-2009
dudeist

I read 2 or 3 chapters, but it didn't really catch my attention. I remember there was a guy spending his last hours getting revenge on those who bullied him when he was back at school, really pointless. Maybe it gets better later, but in general I prefer historical and martial arts mangas.

What I really hate are those school life mangas where the main character is some looser that is being bullied and has no friends, but suddenly he finds an amazing girl and blah blah blah. There are so many of them, and they look like self-help books for kids with problems.

08-12-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingace View Post
I read 2 or 3 chapters, but it didn't really catch my attention. I remember there was a guy spending his last hours getting revenge on those who bullied him when he was back at school, really pointless. Maybe it gets better later, but in general I prefer historical and martial arts mangas.

What I really hate are those school life mangas where the main character is some looser that is being bullied and has no friends, but suddenly he finds an amazing girl and blah blah blah. There are so many of them, and they look like self-help books for kids with problems.
I took a modern Japanese history class, and we studied this common theme in Japanese manga! It does get kind of tiring to see the same formula, but it's interesting how telling it is of Japanese culture, and how dependent on escapism many of the adolescent Japanese males who read those types of manga are. Personally it's not my favorite genre, but I think there are some good ones that came from it! I like Ah! My Goddess, for one. :p

Mr. Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingace View Post

so true.

I find the concept is really intriguing. And I can't imagine if this adapted to real life. Their intention is good, to make people appreciate life more. But that's kind a f* up story.

Speaking of historical manga, do you like Samurai Deeper Kyo?

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

09-12-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaki View Post
I took a modern Japanese history class, and we studied this common theme in Japanese manga! It does get kind of tiring to see the same formula, but it's interesting how telling it is of Japanese culture, and how dependent on escapism many of the adolescent Japanese males who read those types of manga are. Personally it's not my favorite genre, but I think there are some good ones that came from it! I like Ah! My Goddess, for one. :p
There's also a girl's version, hana yori dango (Boys over Flowers). And maybe Fruits Basket is a similar idea.

What other themes did you find? ^^

Last edited by gius; 09-12-2009 at 02:32 AM.
09-12-2009
dudeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
Speaking of historical manga, do you like Samurai Deeper Kyo?
I haven't read it yet, sorry there are still quite a few mangas that I want to read, Sidooh comes next.

09-12-2009
backstage pass

I see there's a lot of Sailor Moon fans here - me included!
I watched and read both the manga and anime. I have a collection of the Sailor Moon manga and recently the publishers re-distribute it so it's again available here in Malaysia (but only in Malay language). I like the manga more than the anime, the anime is too child-like while Naoko Takeuchi's drawing is so pretty.
I'm currently watching Bleach too -it's getting too long for me-but I kept watching.
My first manga/comic would be the classic Doraemon, then i had also read Crayon Shin Chan.
Anyone watched My Hime and My Otome before? It's quite short but nice too.

31-12-2009
front row

What anime do you love to watch? I know it's cheesy and corny, but almost eighteen years after I first watched it (can't even remember how old I was at the time), I still love Sailor Moon- except for the 4th arc, the Pegasus one, which was boring. I also really love Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura, La Corda d'Oro and Chii's Sweet Home. They're all anime series- when it comes to movies, my favourites generally seem to come from Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli (I can never watch Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies without crying). I also like Paprika and Ghost In The Shell.
What manga do you love to read? Series I'm currently following seem to be mostly shoujo, and a couple of them are slightly obscure (ie not been translated to English yet). Some of them are: Vampire Knight, La Corda d'Oro, Zettai Heiwa Daisakusen, Dear, Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume, xxxHolic and Bride of the Water God (which is Korean, so it's called manhwa instead).
Completed series I like include Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura, Battle Royale, Clover, Chobits, X-1999 (I consider it completed since CLAMP will probably never finish it), Tokyo Babylon and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (it just ended this year, after I'd followed it for almost five years).
What do you recommend? depends on what the person likes...someone who's a hardcore shounen fan might hate everything I've listed. Though I do think xxxHolic has a lot of genre-crossing potential.
What's the first one you saw/read? anime: probably the dubbed Wizard of Oz series that used to air on weekday mornings when I was in primary school. Manga: can't remember.

31-12-2009
V.I.P.

^Chii's Sweet Home is amazing. I want a kitten soo much now, but after reading it I always have to remind myself that there is no way I need another pet.

31-12-2009
✎...

What anime do you love to watch?
- Studio Ghibli films
- Mobile Suit Gundam (First Gundam, Ζeta & Char's Counterattack)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion

I adore Fjiko F Fujio animes!
- Draemon
- Kaibutsu-Kun
- Chinpui
- 21 Emon
- Q-Chan

What manga do you love to read?
- Dr.Slump

What do you recommend?
- Tensai Bakabon

Loooove this and this songs! 'KIIIIIIIIIN!!!'

I am .....

31-12-2009
backstage pass

yet to see ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.

when my nieces come over, i usually have a Miyazaki film ready for them.
i prefer these over the disney classics. still too young for Princess Mononoke

but neighbor totoro is perfect for them.

04-01-2010
front row

^ awww, I'd have loved to have an aunt like you!
ilaughead, I know! Every manga chapter gives me warm fuzzies...thank goodness the anime episodes are only 3 minutes long each, I'd spend half my life cooing over Chii and her antics.
To anyone who likes historical romance manga, I strongly recommend Bride of the Water God (the artwork is stunningly gorgeous, too- every time a chapter is released I take three times as long to read it as I would a normal manga because I'm just gawking at the beautiful drawings). And on the modern-day side, Nana is another series with really beautiful artwork and a somewhat realistic storyline- definitely a must-read (the anime's good too, and the live-action version with Mika Nakashima and Aoi Miyazaki- watch those if you can).

Last edited by Drusilla_; 04-01-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typos
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anime, manga