How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla_ View Post
^ awww, I'd have loved to have an aunt like you!
not an auntie, and uncle. a cool one at that.

i rarely get to see my nieces, since i live in NYC now, and they live in houston. but when i'm in town, for the holidays usually, i try to spend as much time with them as possible. the three year old calls me uncle, i ask her: what is Uncle's name. sophie: Uncle. me: no, my name, what is name. sophie: Uncle. jajaja

i'm glad that they are showing programs like dora the explorer, and Nihao Kai-lan on Nick Jr. teaches them a foreign language at a young age.

29-01-2010
dudeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien View Post
i usually watch my anime on my subway rides nowadays. good way to spend the 30 min commute. but sometimes you get an iffy scene. (ecchi)
and i usually have people watching over my shoulders....embarrassing.
ha! I wouldn't worry too much about that, probably they're just wishing for more ecchi stuff.

By the way, now that you mention ecchi, there's this thing I've always wondered, do japanese men really like those huge boobs????? they look horrible, but they're in every manga I read, totally anoying!!! It's not like in american comics the breasts are small... but at least they have a more reasonable size, it seems that japanese men are really obssesed

29-01-2010
®

BTW, new Naruto chapters are out!

I can also relate to watching animés while riding public transpo (buses and subways). It can sometimes get embarrassing when I squeal in a particularly cheezy scene. But anyway I hope this new chapter is any good. I'm also teaching myself the basics of Nihonggo but all I can come up with in an actual conversation is "What is your name" and other pretty common one liners.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien View Post
not an auntie, and uncle. a cool one at that.
Ouch, sorry. Should read the gender column more carefully before I post, and stop thinking about my own desire to be a cool aunt .

I'm suffering withdrawal pangs from no Vampire Knight last month. The drawings just get more beautiful by the chapter..

As for the boob issue, I have to say- not all manga have them. In shoujo manga (the genre that I tend to read most) the girls tend to be on the smaller side, chest-wise. Or at least not so grotesquely huge, anyway unless it's a stated physical feature of a character. The boob jobs seem to mostly be a feature of shounen or ecchi titles, which are geared towards young boys/men (I guess big-busted manga girls are to Japan what Maxim cover models are to the US).

05-02-2010
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla_ View Post
Ouch, sorry. Should read the gender column more carefully before I post, and stop thinking about my own desire to be a cool aunt .

I'm suffering withdrawal pangs from no Vampire Knight last month. The drawings just get more beautiful by the chapter..

As for the boob issue, I have to say- not all manga have them. In shoujo manga (the genre that I tend to read most) the girls tend to be on the smaller side, chest-wise. Or at least not so grotesquely huge, anyway unless it's a stated physical feature of a character. The boob jobs seem to mostly be a feature of shounen or ecchi titles, which are geared towards young boys/men (I guess big-busted manga girls are to Japan what Maxim cover models are to the US).
I think what you said makes sense. The larger boobs phenomenon tends to appear in shounen mangas.

dudeist

yeah I was talking mostly about shounen and seinen, I hardly read any shoujo (and if I do it's always shoujo ai :p)

By the way: Danzo at least I liked that flashback, it shows the kind of man he truly was. For some reason I always like characters who try hard but can never achieve their goals.

06-02-2010
®

Good Lawd, the Naruto plot's taking a turn for the worse... I'm still reading it though. I'm waiting for surprises. And Danzo that was not surprising....

®

BTW guys do you read Eyeshield 21? It's a very good... if not childish.... manga.

®

There are no January updates for Vampire Knight! Ugh! This is frustrating.

V.I.P.

I've seen Howl's Moving Caste, Spirited Away and Totoro and I love them all, could someone recommend more films for me?? Please^^

®

Spirited Away... That was one of the best films I've watched .. I recommend... Death Note Live Action? Or the series itself.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonaka View Post
I've seen Howl's Moving Caste, Spirited Away and Totoro and I love them all, could someone recommend more films for me?? Please^^

a miyazaki fan, eh.

check the following, all by him. he has his own style.

1. Porco Rosso
2. Laputa Castle in the Sky
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind
4. Princess Monoke

5. Ponyo (his newest film)

hard to pick up my favorite from all of them. this guy is a true genius. he creates films that adults and children can enjoy together.
studio ghibli > disney

16-02-2010
backstage pass

I love Disney and Studio Ghibli, I think both have their own charm The original Disney animations which were beautifully hand-drawn receive much more love from me than all the hightech bright computer technology used nowdays

I saw Ponyo not too long ago, it's pretty cute! ^^

Kikki's Delivery Service is also by Hayao Miyazaki as well, I don't think that's too shabby!

20-02-2010
V.I.P.

Anyone recognise this anime? It says Let's play in English

from spoon01.com

20-02-2010
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
Anyone recognise this anime? It says Let's play in English

from spoon01.com

Hi Gius!!!! How are you?? I never thanked you for the link way back when!
Thanks so much, I enjoyed it!

Back on topic: That is sooo adorable...never seen it though.

This thread is making me homesick...

I adore Miyazaki as well, his work represents all that is great about Japanese culture.

Ponyo was a deceptively simple masterpiece, it was really well made at child's-eye level, but incredibly deep and moving for adults too...one of his best I think. Miyazaki spent weeks drawing and re-drawing the few seconds where the boy runs into the arms of his grandmother, because Miyazaki in that scene was actually representing himself and his own deceased mother, whom he never was able to fully embrace. He finally had a breakthrough, and drew the scene broken down in tears.

So
much love goes into his films.

Tezuka Osamu's manga books are pure genius too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anime, manga