How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-11-2007
windowshopping

I absolutely love his work and especially the whole 'mysterious' artist thingy going on

16-11-2007
God Save McQueen

I love the Disneyland thing. Its brilliant and I am still trying to figure out how he even managed to do it. It must have taken a lot of work. Banksy is brilliant but there is a lot of hypocrisy there. We don't know who he is or what he does with his money, but the fact that he is challenging capitalism and then selling his work for millions of dollars comes of as phoney. Again, because we don't know anything about him we don't know if he is giving his money to charity or what.

I also read that he doesn't tag on private residences, just on businesses and public stuff, idk if that is true.

He definately seems to be the "it" artist right now. His stuff is very graphic and easily recognizable, he has a definate style and its playing really well right now. I think the mystery about him just makes it even more intense

16-11-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

maybe he is the 'it' artist in America right now but I don't think he is in Britain anymore (he is still hugely popular, i just don't think he's as hip as he was a year or two ago). I think as an artist, who he is a person is so closely tied to what he is trying to get across in his work, it's hard not to conflate the two. Additionally, as pointed above and by many others, he is a huge hypocrite railing against capitalism, injustice and government and then making more than is necessary off his 'art'

14-01-2008
V.I.P.

"A wall painted on by mysterious British graffiti artist Banksy painted sold for 208,100 pounds (275,750 euros, 407,000 dollars) on Tuesday, according to the results of an eBay auction.
The painting depicts a classical-looking artist in mostly-grey garb putting the finishing touches on a red large painting of the real artist's name.
It appeared in September on the wall outside a production company's office in Portobello Road, famous for its antiques and curios in Notting Hill, west London.
The sale on the Internet auction site attracted 69 bids, and the buyer now faces the additional charge of moving the work of art and replacing the wall.
A representative for Banksy confirmed the authenticity of the painting, and added that the artist would not issue any comment on its sale.
Banksy, originally from Bristol, western England, has attracted a global following with his graffiti paintings on the walls of London buildings, and his work has been bought by actress Angelina Jolie and singer Christina Aguilera."

{uk.news.yahoo.com}

15-01-2008
front row

Scans from his Paris Hilton CD, containing music by Danger Mouse

sharl @ flickr

An original CD is currently offered at this rare record dealer
Quote:
I'm sure you all have heard of this beautiful art/prank CD. This is a guaranteed Banksy original, obtained from somebody directly connected to the artist and this item. Full details and a guarantee of provenance will be given to the buyer. The numbered CDR included has a 40mn track by 'Danger Mouse' using classic Paris quotes and various cut-ups with an interlude of Bouzouki music, yes Bouzouki. Hear what this sounds like and have a look at the distribution/Manufacturing procedures of this CD on this cool little video. The White CD is Signed "Paris" with a love heart over the i. Included is the 10 page doctored booklet, same as this one.
Banksy's stunt featured in the national press and as a result most of the works were removed and destroyed at the time. This is a very rare Item. Serious Offers please.
Other work for sale at Bonhams
Quote:
# Banksy 'Laugh Now', stencil spray paint on canvas - Estimate: £40,000 - 60,000

# Banksy, 'Kate Moss', screenprint - Estimate: £20,000-30,000

# Banksy, 'Di-Faced Tenners', screenprint - Estimate: £5,000-7,000
Whether it is by surreptitiously inserting his works in the world in the world's major museums, or replacing the Queen's head with Diana's on his infamous £10 notes, Banksy's guerrilla-tactic stunts know no bounds. His high profile admirers include Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Jude Law, Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper.

17-01-2008
backstage pass

Mm.. I still don't know what to think about the man himself, but I think his stencil art is really fantastic. Some people might think he goes too far trying to express himself through his pieces, but I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion? I'll have to search around Melbourne to find that stencil he did of the person with the old fashioned diving helmut...( I swear I've seen it before, but for the life of me, I don't think I paid much attention as I didn't who Banksy was and what he did) and a trip to Bondi Beach. Just by looking at the scans auxt posted, I think what he did to Paris Hilton was a tad too mean (and I'm not overly fond of her)

03-03-2008
scenester

Banksy
www.banksy.co.uk/
This British graffiti artist has done some pretty cool work. The best part about the website is the shop section with free full size prints of his work for you to save and print.

front row

^^thanks for this info!
I like his work a lot! It's socially critical and kind of fun at the same time.

07-03-2008
tfs star

I love his "work". I think its pretty original and I think it's great that he's putting some colour into the dodgy/dull/nasty parts of London. I'd love if he came round and did something on my house or some of the gadgy (lol sorry for the word choice) houses near me. Make them more original.

fashion icon

wondering...are there any fake banksy works around town in london?

cause i saw the maid one near Chalk Farm station, someone told me it's fake. unless there are more than one maid?

12-03-2008
front row

fake graffitis...what a strange thought! But who knows? Evrything's possible!

16-03-2008
front row

what? i never knew the Chalk Farm one was fake i literally pass it every day

06-04-2008
V.I.P.

Street artist Banksy has painted a mural on Essex Road, London, depicting two young children saluting while another child raises a Tesco carrier bag on a flagpole.

Banksy’s preparatory Sketch for Essex Road (shown top) sold for £195,000 last month, at the artbid4ken auction to raise money for London mayor Ken Livingstone’s re-election campaign.

dezeen

25-04-2008
front row

banksy pieces surface in los angeles

(.theworldsbestever.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banksy-la-2008.jpg (72.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg banksy-la-2008-2.jpg (65.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg banksy-la-2008-3.jpg (70.5 KB, 1 views)

27-04-2008
Fat Karl

This guy is a master....I saw his show here in Downtown, LA last year...the one with the painting elephant.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artist, banksy, graffiti