How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-11-2007
V.I.P.

Banksy - Graffiti Artist
I think he should have his own thread. I love his work.

Here is one of the first pictures of him apparantly. No one has ever seen or met him.

Latest work

splash

04-11-2007
i'm almost ready..

thanks for the pics lemeray..
the way you said "no one has ever seen or met him" sounded so funny to me..LOL..

no-one...ever??!!.......:p..

i dont really like to post pictures of my face online..but i guess banksy is as good a reason as any!...
here's me kissing the maid in london..

04-11-2007
V.I.P.

It does sound pretty funny and strange...

Here's an article about the first sighting of Banksy...

His fiercely guarded identity is as much a part of the mystique as his unconventional works of art.

But after years of eluding detection, graffiti artist Banksy appears to have finally been caught in the act.

Somewhat predictably, the photographer who seems to have uncovered the man behind the mask has captured him on the job.

Crouched by the side of the road, tools of the trade in hand, the artist - whose real name is believed to be Robert Banks - carefully extends the double yellow lines so they snake up a nearby wall and blossom into a flower.

In the act: Has Banksy finally been unmasked?

The finished work also features a bored looking council worker sitting by the side of his handiwork.

And, as with most of guerilla artist Banksy's unconventional masterpieces, there is also a political undertone.

The piece went up in Tower Hamlets, East London, where the local council has vowed to rid the borough of his graffiti.

The finished product: Another Banksy original

"Whilst some graffiti is considered to be art, we know that many of our residents think graffiti in areas where they live, such as local housing estates, is an eyesore," a council spokesman said.

Neighbouring borough Hackney has also adopted a similar zero tolerance policy and has threatened to hose away his daubings.

Banksy's extraordinary career as artist provocateur and general prankster has attracted increasingly high-profile fans including Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, who pay tens of thousands of pounds for his unconventional works.

A recent auction of ten pieces sold for more than 500,000 at Bonhams.

Subversive: Murals have spread across the country

But despite his fame, his agent claims to have never even met him.

Banksy's most infamous stunts have included releasing an inflatable Guantanamo prisoner doll in Disneyland and installing Banksyus Maximus, a rock showing a Stone Age man complete with shopping trolley, at the British Musuem.

It took eight days for staff to realise that the piece was not an official exhibit.

Controversy: But his work has inspired very mixed feelings

British Musuem employees were not the only ones to fall foul of Bansky's pranks. He also placed a dead rat in a glass box in the Natural History Musuem.

Once again, it was some time before staff became suspicious.

daily mail

Last edited by lemeray; 04-11-2007 at 02:10 AM.
04-11-2007
i'm almost ready..

thanks lem..

i love this..

Quote:
In June 2006, Banksy created an image of a naked man hanging out of a bedroom window on a wall in central Bristol. The image sparked some controversy, with the Bristol City Council leaving it up to the public to decide whether it should stay or go. After an internet discussion in which 97% (all but 6 people) supported the stencil, the city council decided it would be left on the building.
wikipedia

04-11-2007
V.I.P.

oh! i think i have seen his work on the Stencil Revolution website

it's nice
there's often a lot of twisted humour

i wonder if he is just using cardstock as a stencil? i guess he doesn't duplicate the same image at another location?

Last edited by gius; 04-11-2007 at 02:45 AM.
04-11-2007
i'm almost ready..

there's quite a good bio on wikipedia..

here's a little bit about his technique..

Quote:
During an interview when asked about his techniques, Banksy said "I use whatever it takes. Sometimes that just means drawing a moustache on a girl's face on some billboard, sometimes that means sweating for days over an intricate drawing. Efficiency is the key".

Stencils are traditionally hand drawn or printed onto sheets of acetate or card, before being cut out by hand. Because of the secretive nature of Banksy's work and identity, it is uncertain what techniques he uses to generate the images in his stencils, though it is assumed he uses computers due to the photorealistic nature of much of his work.

04-11-2007
i'm almost ready..

oh and i just thought- maybe we should add a 'title' beside his name in the thread title..
you know 'artist' or 'graffiti artist' or something...

04-11-2007
i'm almost ready..

supposedly this is him?...according to brain sewell.com..

04-11-2007
trendsetter

that's not banksy i don't think.

and yeah i love it that there are so many of this stuff in east london...i used to go past one everyday going to uni when one day it was painted over...i don't get why someone would do that, it increases the value of your property (this was in a private parking lot)

08-11-2007
scenester

The Yellow lines flower was painted with permission from the owners of the building it's on. I think it was Bethnal Green Working Men's Club. No one except the club can remove it.

In Brighton where I live there is Banksy's famous 'Kissing Policemen' on the wall of a pub. It got graffitied (deliciously ironic) and the local council decided to clean the graffiti off and now it is behind a sheet of Perspex.

08-11-2007
i'm almost ready..

wow...ironic indeed...

thanks for that tidbit benno...
amazing how they have 'protected' his 'graffiti'...

this guy makes people think and re-assess...i love it...

08-11-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

I really detest banksy. I understand the sort of faux subversiveness of his work but his ethic I just find absolutely atrocious. I read part of his book once and he talked about a seminal moment in his life where basically, as I remember it, he had tried to befriend some of the meaner kids at school or was hanging out with them at least and they literally kicked the sh*t out of this one other kid, so much so that an ambulence was called in. The bullies blamed on banksy who never felt vindicated (he never said whether he spoke up and said it wasn't him) and felt it was a gross error of justice that he had been blamed, but mentioned briefly that the kid who had been bullied is now mentally disabled. I'm sorry but you care more about getting blamed and meanwhile someone has to live the rest of their life with a disability? And you're talking about injustice? Please.

12-11-2007
the crying of humanity

^ I don't like him either. Especially that little stint of his at Disneyland last year. (Artist Banksy targets Disneyland. September 11, 2006.)

windowshopping

Bansky challenges the norm and puts mirrors in front of insanity. Deff a legend and a hero to alot....he would probably be a great political leader.

16-11-2007
trendsetter

i agree, although i don't know about the whole "political leader" thing.
i like his artwork cuz it's different, i don't associate it with him as a person considering that i don't know much about him.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artist, banksy, graffiti