How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
To everyone that asked about html-coding, to code a blog from scratch you'll need much more than html, you'll need php, mysql etc. The easiest thing is to use a blogengine like Wordpress that you can host yourself, find a good layout to edit, and then edit the css (and the html/php if you wish)

Took at look at your blog, really enjoyed it a lot! That picture of the ***********model was horrifying!!

Which blogger application are you using, is it Wordpress?

Last edited by softgrey; 23-05-2008 at 11:05 PM.

15-05-2008
scenester

Given the work you've done I think it looks quite good. My concerns are to convey a creative blog matching the content. The blog I have now is all about shopping etc, I want it look a certain way definitely, you give it a bit of a facelift. I think it looks to blah.

What do you think? In fact I invite anyone to give opinions on my blog, I think it would help if we support each other in creating what we want. Exchanging links would be great I would definitely blog about some of the members especially if they have quality items they've designed or want to talk about.

15-05-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistforhire View Post
Took at look at your blog, really enjoyed it a lot! That picture of the ************ model was horrifying!!

Which blogger application are you using, is it Wordpress?
Thanks, and yes, I use wordpress. Tried blogspot and livejournal for a while, but wordpress is the best I could find, plus it's free to use on your own server so you have hundred per cent control over everything.

I'll be back with more

Last edited by softgrey; 23-05-2008 at 11:06 PM.
15-05-2008
V.I.P.

well, here's the Template Walkthrough for blogspot users...

goes through title of blog, title of blog entry, time/date of blog entry, blog entry, and so on

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42068

18-05-2008
scenester

To gius & decadentdiamond:

I took a look at the links you posted from blogspot and truth be told my eyes blurred looking at it. What was your experience using the how to links? I'm going to attempt to redesign my blog this week, but I'd like to hear some feedback before starting. Like what worked for you and what didn't etc.

18-05-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
The blog service I found that lets you customise your blog the easiest is http://www.pitas.com
You can create a design with html for your whole page
and also the separate blog entries
It's so simple. None of this weird widget/tags/etc stuff

I don't understand why blogger is so complicated
There is just too many codes to mess with

I'd like to stay with blogger though
it's so popular and more people have their own accounts and are willing to comment on each other's posts
I'll try to research some way to make the codes simpler

This is the page I am looking at so far:
http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/04/to...-your-css.html
It gives you an idea..
The codes are to separate the thing in sections
Just that in blogspot there is far too many sections
I tried editing my own template with what it says there, but I guess I am missing something because it's not working
Looked at this site too and it looks like I would have to start another blog on the pitas site which doesn't interest me. Can you use the pitas templates on blogspot? Pitas did have some great templates etc, and I looked at some of the blogs which looked pretty good.

18-05-2008
V.I.P.

^No, I don't think you can save the templates as separate files... to upload on blogspot.

But it's very easy to make your own
You just create a layout/design and you only enter a code in the spot where you want the entries to be (ie. %%journal entries here%%), and as you update your journal, the entries will show up automatically
You do need to know HTML (and/or CSS)

19-05-2008
rising star

In regards to the site I posted, I have only used the tutorial for adding a third column, which in the process taught me the basics of html. There is a lot of information on that site (enough to make your eyes go blurry!), and it took me a second time to look at it before I attempted modification (I was desperate for a third column!)

stylistforhire, are you looking to get a third column too?

20-05-2008
backstage pass

I didn't use etsy, But i know people who have. My boyfriend is a graphic designer. He just quickly took a picture of me and made it in to banners.

Quote:
I'm looking at the site now, thanks for the recos....did you use this site? I think I'll just contact them, but I'd much rather code it myself because I want to learn more about coding. I like your top pic, that's what I'm after an identity that immediately tells the viewer a bit about the blog.

I'm starting another blog geared towards industry professionals. There will be interviews etc, so this blog has to have it's own look.

Any other suggestions are gladly welcome but thanks Punky for suggesting that site.

20-05-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentdiamond View Post
In regards to the site I posted, I have only used the tutorial for adding a third column, which in the process taught me the basics of html. There is a lot of information on that site (enough to make your eyes go blurry!), and it took me a second time to look at it before I attempted modification (I was desperate for a third column!)

stylistforhire, are you looking to get a third column too?

For my blog right now, I would like to add a third column and move the ads. I'm not sure how the ads got to the bottom of the page but they're there nonetheless. You're right your eyes do go blurry. Can you offer anyone offer any assistance?

Cheers

20-05-2008
rising star

This is the page to add a third column... make sure you're completely chilled out when you attempt this (if you know absolutely nothing about html) and give yourself about an hour... http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspo...-template.html
Make sure you're in the Minima template too.

I'm glad I had the patience to complete it because it really did make a lot of htmling clear to me!

20-05-2008
scenester

Quote:
This is the page to add a third column... make sure you're completely chilled out when you attempt this (if you know absolutely nothing about html) and give yourself about an hour... http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspo...-template.html

I'm glad I had the patience to complete it because it really did make a lot of htmling clear to me!

I had to laugh when I read "make sure you're chilled out..." I will heed your advice/warning, I don't think I'll attempt it today. I'm in the midst of creating new posts and I would like to have it completed by the end of the week. I know what you're saying re:HTML, it can only benefit in the future.

Many thanks,

Jacqueline
PS: Gius, I may be pm'ing you to get your input.

20-05-2008
scenester

Quote:

I decided to jump straight in, but I don't know if I did this right. How can you tell if you have a third column? I followed the instructions, completely but I don't think I did it right. Have a look.

Cheers

20-05-2008
rising star

You'll be able to see it! .. I also forgot to add, to preview everything before you save it, or, to download and save your current template if you're attached to it. Incase it all goes wrong! .. and you'll see the extra column in the 'add and arrange page elements' page, if it worked. Trust me, there's a whole load of fiddling about and you need to have a really sharp eye, especially when you don't really know what you're looking for at the beginning.

(I currently can't see a third column on your blog by the way)

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
PS: Gius, I may be pm'ing you to get your input.
No problemo!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blog, design, technique, tips