How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
14-05-2008
  1
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 64
Blog design technique & tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
This is a new thread to discuss technical aspects of fashion blogging ...
Can anyone offer some advice on HTML coding? I am a bit familar with it but would like to bounce some ideas back and forth.


Last edited by fashionista-ta; 14-05-2008 at 03:43 PM.
  Reply With Quote
 
14-05-2008
  2
backstage pass
 
punky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistforhire View Post
I have been wanting to work on my blog for sometime now but my PC crashed which cooled my online activity, I wasn't able to do anything However things have changed and I'm thrilled to be back online once more. I am hoping this is the right area to ask for advice, regarding blog art. My blog is published on blogger and I wanted to change the header, is it possible to find free art headers for blogs, can anyone suggest any ideas or offer some links to sites.

Many thanks,

Jacqueline

I think you can have people design you anything you like on etsy.com

__________________
My Blog
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  3
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
I think you can have people design you anything you like on etsy.com

I'm looking at the site now, thanks for the recos....did you use this site? I think I'll just contact them, but I'd much rather code it myself because I want to learn more about coding. I like your top pic, that's what I'm after an identity that immediately tells the viewer a bit about the blog.

I'm starting another blog geared towards industry professionals. There will be interviews etc, so this blog has to have it's own look.

Any other suggestions are gladly welcome but thanks Punky for suggesting that site.

  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  4
backstage pass
 
ElectricAlyce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norway
Gender: homme
Posts: 745
To everyone that asked about html-coding, to code a blog from scratch you'll need much more than html, you'll need php, mysql etc. The easiest thing is to use a blogengine like Wordpress that you can host yourself, find a good layout to edit, and then edit the css (and the html/php if you wish)

__________________
POUT! IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
fashionartmusicsexphotographyinspirirationyummie-tumblr
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  5
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
To everyone that asked about html-coding, to code a blog from scratch you'll need much more than html, you'll need php, mysql etc. The easiest thing is to use a blogengine like Wordpress that you can host yourself, find a good layout to edit, and then edit the css (and the html/php if you wish)

ElectricAlyce thanks for clarifying, what I really meant to say was edit the layout. So much of the layouts don't really capture what I want to say especially going forward I truly want viewers to enjoy my blog.

  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  6
backstage pass
 
ElectricAlyce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norway
Gender: homme
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistforhire View Post
ElectricAlyce thanks for clarifying, what I really meant to say was edit the layout. So much of the layouts don't really capture what I want to say especially going forward I truly want viewers to enjoy my blog.
Yeah, the layout is pretty important. I'm not shure how you do it with blogspot, livejournal etc. but it's pretty easy to alter the css with Wordpress. If you need help with it just let me know and I'll try to help

__________________
POUT! IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
fashionartmusicsexphotographyinspirirationyummie-tumblr
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  7
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
Yeah, the layout is pretty important. I'm not shure how you do it with blogspot, livejournal etc. but it's pretty easy to alter the css with Wordpress. If you need help with it just let me know and I'll try to help

It's a lot of back end coding with blogspot, is wordpress easier? I've heard good things about it, only problem is you can't run ads right?

Nevertheless I appreciate your help, I'll PM you. I'm going to look into paying to have it done also, doesn't hurt to look at other options especially for next blog.

I took a look at Etsy and they do design banners but I don't think they design entire blogs.

If anyone has any recos, I'd prefer to use a company/site that someone has had good response too.

  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  8
backstage pass
 
ElectricAlyce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norway
Gender: homme
Posts: 745
I'm not hundred percent shure, but I've heard that wordpress doesn't support ads, that's right. But unless you run a bigger blog I wouldn't reccomend it anyway. As you said, layout and look is pretty important to attract visitors, and there is nothing like a big ol' adSense-banner to frighten people away. As said, you're gonna need A. LOT. of readers for google adsense or similar for it to pay off. Just my 0.002$ anyhoo

__________________
POUT! IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
fashionartmusicsexphotographyinspirirationyummie-tumblr
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  9
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,468
Blog design technique & tips
This is a new thread to discuss technical aspects of fashion blogging ...

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  10
backstage pass
 
ElectricAlyce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norway
Gender: homme
Posts: 745
Thanks fashionista-ta - I guess fashion is one of the areas with the biggest fetish for blogging, so it's an important thing to discuss

__________________
POUT! IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
fashionartmusicsexphotographyinspirirationyummie-tumblr
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  11
rising star
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 104
I really wanted to educate myself with personalising my blog myself so seeked out some sites to help me.

I found this one to be really great: http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/

I was able to give myself 3 columns, originally two.. and used any colours I wanted by using the universal html colour codes and editing it directly into the html code. There was a lot more I did using that website, which helped me work things out too.

Also, with Etsy, you can request blog-design via Alchemy: http://www.etsy.com/alchemy/ .. I've seen some requests there, and there are people that can do it, and will show you their previous creations.

But, I personally like to teach myself how to do everything, even if it takes hours.. at least then you have the flexibility to edit when you want, instead of seeking it.

  Reply With Quote
14-05-2008
  12
V.I.P.
 
gius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 10,162
The blog service I found that lets you customise your blog the easiest is http://www.pitas.com
You can create a design with html for your whole page
and also the separate blog entries
It's so simple. None of this weird widget/tags/etc stuff

I don't understand why blogger is so complicated
There is just too many codes to mess with

I'd like to stay with blogger though
it's so popular and more people have their own accounts and are willing to comment on each other's posts
I'll try to research some way to make the codes simpler

This is the page I am looking at so far:
http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/04/to...-your-css.html
It gives you an idea..
The codes are to separate the thing in sections
Just that in blogspot there is far too many sections
I tried editing my own template with what it says there, but I guess I am missing something because it's not working

__________________


Last edited by gius; 14-05-2008 at 07:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
15-05-2008
  13
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentdiamond View Post
I really wanted to educate myself with personalising my blog myself so seeked out some sites to help me.

I found this one to be really great: http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/

I was able to give myself 3 columns, originally two.. and used any colours I wanted by using the universal html colour codes and editing it directly into the html code. There was a lot more I did using that website, which helped me work things out too.

Also, with Etsy, you can request blog-design via Alchemy: http://www.etsy.com/alchemy/ .. I've seen some requests there, and there are people that can do it, and will show you their previous creations.

But, I personally like to teach myself how to do everything, even if it takes hours.. at least then you have the flexibility to edit when you want, instead of seeking it.
Your blog looks quite good, thanks for providing those linsk, I will look at them in depth when I have a bit more time.

  Reply With Quote
15-05-2008
  14
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
This is a new thread to discuss technical aspects of fashion blogging ...

Great idea, thanks for starting a new thread, there is a lot of technical stuff to discuss and it's always great to have the support to share and discuss.

  Reply With Quote
15-05-2008
  15
rising star
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 104
Thank you stylistforhire .. although I think you are going for a much more professional approach compared to mine! Yes this is a great thread!.. I'm always keen to learn a bit more about html and improving my blog design.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blog, design, technique, tips
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.