How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-05-2007
rising star

natalia vasquez
ilustration

http://natalia.sugarpop.org/

05-05-2007
i'm almost ready..

thankyou for the link robot

05-05-2007
V.I.P.

Tim Walker is inspired by children's illustrations; I love that idea

[scanned by me]

05-05-2007
Fashionably Late

^ TFP. I can definitely see how they would be inspiring. I often get inspired by children's book illustrations as well.

07-05-2007
scenester

Hmm, oddly enough Lisa Evans hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, at least not by name, according to the search engine. So here are a few of her works. They've been dwelling in my folders for ages now and each time I see them again, they bring a smile with their delicate but bright whimsy. The first three pictures are her interpretation of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, of course.

You can find her folio here: http://www.folioart.co.uk/index.cfm although you have to select her name from the author search tab on the right side of the page. She also seems to have a blog here: http://firefluff.blogspot.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alice-madhattersteaparty.jpg (120.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg The-Cheshire-Catlrg.jpg (206.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg alice3.jpg (135.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Checkmate-lisaevans.jpg (83.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ophelia.jpg (151.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg The-Performance-lisaevans.jpg (270.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg King-Alta-Magdala-lisaevans.jpg (253.1 KB, 15 views)

07-05-2007
scenester

Ooh, also, Shaun Tan is due to release his new 'graphic novel' in the States later this year, so it's probably timely that he should get another feature on this thread again. His new book's called "The Arrival" and it's already out in Australia (and presumably the UK) and I spent almost half an hour in the bookshop reading it, trying to stop the lump in my throat from revealing my sappy nature to the general public. It's such a wonderful story about immigration and belonging and dislocation. It's a wordless piece that veers further away from the more one picture per page structure of children's picture books, but I think it's still able to be read by anyone of any age.

Unfortunately, I can't really find any large images of his illustrations at a high resolution, so most of these are taken directly from his website, where the size is small, a few details lost but the colour and sharpness are still retained. I

've chosen a few offering from his three latest books, (in order of most recent publication) The Arrival (all pencil on paper. Apparently it took him 4 years to finish), The Rabbits (a collaboration with John Marsden as the writer on the subject of Australia's history of colonialism and its impacts on indigenous people. The illustrations in this remind so much of a extra-saturated Fred Williams, with the energy of John Olsen. - it's beautiful) and The Red Tree (the final two images)

His website where the majority of these pictures were taken is here: http://www.shauntan.net/ Although the first two larger pictures were taken from this forum

I really don't mean to sound like such an advertisment, but Shaun Tan is almost universally adored and consistently wonderful, it's just nice to share the love around. Besides, I bet almost everyone interested in this thread knows about him already anyway, in which case, i just enjoy yammering on about things I love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arrival.jpg (74.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg arrival2.jpg (63.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg arrival3.jpg (25.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg arrival4.jpg (21.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg arrival5.jpg (21.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ShaunTan-rabbits.jpg (84.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg rabbits.jpg (56.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg rabbits2.jpg (72.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg redtree2.jpg (28.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg redtree.jpg (195.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by drifter-sister; 07-05-2007 at 02:52 PM.
07-05-2007
V.I.P.

^^ That looks like a great book actuallly.
Quote:
Tim Walker is inspired by children's illustrations; I love that idea
[scanned by me]
*Please do not quote images*
Thanks, I can definitely see that. I love his editorials. So simplistic and child-like and innocent.

Last edited by DosViolines; 15-09-2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Please see tFS guidelines - quoting images
09-06-2007
scenester

Much love for Shaun Tan!

My favourites are The Red Tree (from nsw.uca.org.au and www.gestaltcomics.com):

And The Lost Thing (from korkos.club.fr):

09-06-2007
windowshopping

i loved the nightingale illustration, and the wonderful ducks--thanks!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter-sister View Post
Hmm, oddly enough Lisa Evans hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, at least not by name, according to the search engine. So here are a few of her works. They've been dwelling in my folders for ages now and each time I see them again, they bring a smile with their delicate but bright whimsy. The first three pictures are her interpretation of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, of course.

You can find her folio here: http://www.folioart.co.uk/index.cfm although you have to select her name from the author search tab on the right side of the page. She also seems to have a blog here: http://firefluff.blogspot.com/

So beautiful!

Thanks & karma

windowshopping

Don and Aldrey Wood
Another Illustrator Don Wood

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USURIO%7E1/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USURIO%7E1/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USURIO%7E1/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USURIO%7E1/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USURIO%7E1/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/USURIO%7E1/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11277.jpg (19.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg chair_dance.jpg (17.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ReiBigodeira.jpg (90.6 KB, 3 views)

14-09-2007
front row

i'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but here is an interesting Flickr gallery highlighting some of the differences between Richard Scarry's original 1963 illustrations and updated versions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kokogiak/sets/1425737/

Quote:
Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever, 1963 vs 1991 editions (with revisions). The 1963 edition is my own, bought for me in the late 60's when I was a toddler, and read to tatters. The 1991 edition belongs to my kids today. I was so familar with the older one that I immediately started noticing a few differences, and so have catalogued 14 of the more interesting differences here in this collection.
hovering your cursor on the images will reveal the changes, often made for the sake of political correctness. here are the covers:

flickr

14-09-2007
V.I.P.

all for the sake of being politically 'correct' :p
it's interesting all the changes... thanks for posting the link, auxt
i knew there was something wrong when i was checking them through the bookstore
not that i was noticing missing or added things, but they seemed less appealing...
the colours are not as nice and intense and bright, the design, the illustrations they've really wrecked it just to make it 'better'
of course not all the pages, but quite a lot i find...

14-09-2007
V.I.P.

The original Children's Book:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

[wondoga]

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
all for the sake of being politically 'correct' :p
it's interesting all the changes... thanks for posting the link, auxt
i knew there was something wrong when i was checking them through the bookstore
not that i was noticing missing or added things, but they seemed less appealing...
the colours are not as nice and intense and bright, the design, the illustrations they've really wrecked it just to make it 'better'
of course not all the pages, but quite a lot i find...
yes, i understand that quite a lot has changed since 1963, but much of the character of the books was watered down in the revisions. you are right about the change in colour as well.

flickr

is a mouse w/feather in a canoe too racist, or were the editors being oversensitive? either way, the new illustration is very boring in comparison, apparently a hasty sketch with much less detail.

this sort of tinkering is parodied in the Politically Correct Bedtime Stories

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
book, children, illustrations