How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-08-2006
V.I.P.

^^Thanks for the great pictures Sky wire!

09-08-2006
V.I.P.

She's spectacular. It was sheerly from chance that I learned of her, and I might simply have forgotten her name, had the photo which served as my introduction lacked the poignancy to lead me back in search.

This photo was the one:

artnet.com

As of this moment, I'm as excited about the movie as most of you seem. :p

V.I.P.

Karma is definitely in order, texastess! I'm sort of jealous I didn't think of starting it sooner.

I first came to know her by picking up a biography. Unfortunately, with schooling, I didn't get to read it.... Anyways, I became fascinated with her photographs. All the photos she took of these outsiders were always depicted in such a way thatalways evoked in me some kind of wonder about what these people were actually like.
I think you're professor was definitely right, I don't think I can ever forget that little boy in the 2nd post (one of her most famous).

She lived such a tragic life (from what I know), which is exactly why people want to make a biopic about her. I'm sounding cynical but there are wonderful raves about Nicole Kidman's performance as Arbus in "Fur"- one scene in particular... I could go on about this topic. :p *trying desperately to withhold myself* Though I do have to say, not many people know who she is and this is such a great opportunity! (One of the good things about the excessive biopics!)

09-08-2006
V.I.P.

another famous photograph.....

Identical Twins - 1967

Last edited by LoveMyBoots; 09-08-2006 at 11:25 PM.
09-08-2006
V.I.P.

gives me a totally different outlook of Disneyland compared with the numerous times I went there as a child (like any other child...) :p

A castle in Disneyland, Cal. 1962

Last edited by LoveMyBoots; 09-08-2006 at 11:29 PM.
09-08-2006
V.I.P.

Untitled(4) 1970-71

09-08-2006
V.I.P.

don't tell me these aren't just some of the cutest (and stylish) kids you've seen!

Teenage couple on Hudson Street, N.Y.C. 1963

*all images from dianearbus.net

09-08-2006
backstage pass

Beautiful photographs!

15-08-2006
V.I.P.

she was a fashion photographer earlier in her career, but I can't seem to find any photographs.........

15-08-2006
windowshopping

Diane Arbus is not only a photographic icon but also an exquisite writer and quite prophetic...sadly in the end she took her own life.

"...The world can only be grasped by action, not by contemplation. The hand is the cutting edge of the mind..."

"...A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know..."

"...Love involves a peculiar unfathomable combination of understanding and misunderstanding..."

"...my favourite thing is to go where I've never been..."

"...Nothing is easier than self-decietself-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true.."

"...The thing that's important to know is that you never know. You're always sort of feeling your way..."

15-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBoots
she was a fashion photographer earlier in her career, but I can't seem to find any photographs.........
Yes she was worked for H.Bazar and Vogue but i would assume its hard to get her fashion photoghraphs since she became more known with her own photos!

16-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBoots
Karma is definitely in order, texastess! I'm sort of jealous I didn't think of starting it sooner.

I first came to know her by picking up a biography. Unfortunately, with schooling, I didn't get to read it.... Anyways, I became fascinated with her photographs. All the photos she took of these outsiders were always depicted in such a way thatalways evoked in me some kind of wonder about what these people were actually like.
I think you're professor was definitely right, I don't think I can ever forget that little boy in the 2nd post (one of her most famous).

She lived such a tragic life (from what I know), which is exactly why people want to make a biopic about her. I'm sounding cynical but there are wonderful raves about Nicole Kidman's performance as Arbus in "Fur"- one scene in particular... I could go on about this topic. :p *trying desperately to withhold myself* Though I do have to say, not many people know who she is and this is such a great opportunity! (One of the good things about the excessive biopics!)
WOW!Have you seen Fur?
I didnt hear anything about it?
And please tell as about that scene i am dying to hear.Dont withhold!

17-08-2006
rÍverie

i love diane arbus' work. there's always a dark undertone in them but somehow, they elicit such compassion for the people she photographed. truly was an innovator in the field. i'd love to see 'fur' as well. i heard nicole described it as an acid trip and is an unconventional and fantastical biopic.

Last edited by kikidior; 17-08-2006 at 12:41 AM.
17-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikidior
i love diane arbus' work. there's always a dark undertone in them but somehow, they elicit such compassion for the people she photographed.

What a beautiful description!

24-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikidior
i love diane arbus' work. there's always a dark undertone in them but somehow, they elicit such compassion for the people she photographed. truly was an innovator in the field.
exactly! most people call her photography voyeuristic, which it is to some extent, but definitely deeper than that IMHO

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arbus, diane, photographer