How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
Well... As far as the sheen is concerned, mercerised cotton usually has a luster to it. The collar/plaque is obviously satiny because it is satin weave, I suppose.

And as always, higher quality wool, cotton etc. in a similar yarn/weave will be more lustruous than lower quality because the fibers are thinner, longer and smoother.
So what is the best type of cotton? Thread count?

27-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi
So what is the best type of cotton? Thread count?
Anyone ???

27-11-2005
etre soi-meme

excuses, i dont know the technical details ..but the 'satin' effect it is certainly a yarn quality, not a 'finishing' effect.
as for which cotton is best, i guess it depends on what you need your cotton for.. as far as i know, Egyptian cotton is the best.

What exactly do you mean by Pinna cotton?

19-02-2008
windowshopping

Fabric ID thread & dictionary
Looking for Shiny/Shimmery fabric

Hello everyone,
I wanted to know what fabric that's out there that is shiny/shimmery like.

I'm doing a project that involves disco ball design on a t-shirt, at first I was going to use glitter for the disco ball but then realized it would all fall off when washed.

So now I'm I'm looking for fabric the substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by gius; 04-05-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: merging threads
19-02-2008
V.I.P.

How about sequins ?
I think that looks just like a disco ball

Also search for metallic fabrics, called lamť

Last edited by gius; 17-03-2008 at 09:24 PM.
19-02-2008
tfs star

Nylon can be quite shimmery and pretty. At Cheer (before it finished boo) we had jazz pants which were all nylon and they were very shimmery.

windowshopping

Thanks guys! I'll check those materials out, thanks Gius for moving my post. I wasn't sure where to post this

If anyone still has any other suggestions please let me know

23-02-2008
fashion insider

I second Guis. You should get sequin fabric. Where are you located in queens?

TWITTER:
17-03-2008
V.I.P.

fabric - Marni s/s 08 & Moon Young Hee f/w 08
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a name for this kind of textured fabric? I'm not interested in the fibre content, just the name.
I saw it on the marni website a while back, but I don't remember any specific name given to it.

------------------

& these two by...

Moon Young Hee

thecelebcity | yahoonews

Last edited by gius; 17-03-2008 at 11:28 PM.
18-03-2008
barcode

The Marni looks like some type of techno taffeta maybe, either fully synthetic or a synthetic/silk blend with some sort of texture to it.

The second Moon Young Hee looks like some sort of puckered, multi-layered silk georgette or crepe, you can kind of see uneven bits of sheerness at the edges. I've seen a triple layered silk chiffon that looks similar to it. The pants look like a parachute silk or something along those lines, it's very thin and has a sheen. I've seen fabric like that before, but I don't remember exactly what it was called.

The first one's a bit tricky, the brown parts are definitely some kind of organza or organdy. The pink, I can't really tell if it's the same fabric as the top in the second picture or not.

Last edited by Spike413; 18-03-2008 at 01:59 AM.
09-04-2008
V.I.P.

Thank you for the response, Spike
I'd just been waiting till celebcity opened up its forums again , so I could go take the high-res Moon Young Hee pics and so I did...

& what a wonderful surprise! The first , on the left, it's embroidery creating the texture The one on the right, I'm not really sure what's wrinkling it.. It seems to have little white dashes everywhere though--maybe it's also a form of highly dense stitching

celebcity |

As for Marni's and taffeta ..
I have some ideas now.. When I have time, I'm going to see if I can replicate the texture. Seems to be easily woven...

09-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
The second Moon Young Hee looks like some sort of puckered, multi-layered silk georgette or crepe, you can kind of see uneven bits of sheerness at the edges. I've seen a triple layered silk chiffon that looks similar to it...
Sorry about that I should have been more specific about which fabrics I was asking about

I'm curious about the triple layer silk...
Is there any reason someone would make a fabric that has three layers? In the one you saw, did you see if each layer was different from the other?

10-04-2008
barcode

Well the fabric I saw had a sort of volume to it because of the three layers that had been attached. I know that it had little thread tacks everywhere to hold it together, but it might have been fused as well. Because of the way that chiffon is, very light and airy, combining three layers of it gave it a sort of density. It wasn't as sheer as one layer would be, and it had more weight to it.

That second fabric is definitely some kind of textured silk georgette or something. It almost looks like a seersucker texture.

Whatever it is, it looks beautiful.

10-04-2008
V.I.P.

That's interesting.. I was wondering if maybe it was woven as three layers since I have seen two and four layered fabrics. Tacking/fusing could be something else.. I used some fusible webbing a few weeks ago to join two fabrics-- surprised how stiff the resulting fabric came out to be. I put this chemical on the surface and noticed after drying how the liquid didn't seep to the bottom layer.. sort of saddened by that in a way. It makes me wonder if the webbing is breathable..

yeah it seems georgette, crepe (crepe de chine, etc) and chiffon are really sort of the same fabrics ,just in different weights ...
Seersucker's done in a washing chemical I was told

Last edited by gius; 11-04-2008 at 04:44 AM.
23-04-2008
Geometric Discharge

Identify That Fur
Hey
One of my tutors (who is just amazing) has brought me in this ancient coat for my project to do whatever I like with. Apparently he got it free with a bundle at an auction and he has others that he is going to bring in soon. I just wanted to know if anyone knows what the hell kind of fur this is:

Itís weird, and the pelts are really small. It might be due to itís age but when you try to tear down the seams the pelt just tears insteadÖ thatís how weak it is.
But itís kind of curly, still a bit soft.
Can anyone identify it for me?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dictionary, fabric, thread