How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
27-12-2002
  16
front row
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 276
That is so weird because I think the sculptural qualities their work exuded was all Ray.I personally feel she is totally shafted in their legend because the time they inhabited.I think he may have had something to do with the ESU series but the subtle curves and poetic sensitivity their best work projects oozes her.If you look at the work she did prior to her meeting Charles at Cranbrook its all about form and sensuality.Where as he is more mathematical and geometric.
It sickens me when I read in Major publications & they mistake her as being his brother.(?)I have read it time and time again.I think if the work was produced in this time she would have a lot more acknowledgement,Or she would leave him.
Same thing with Charlotte Perriand & Le Corbusier.She is rarely given credit for the icons she assisted in creating.
It seems that design history has totally discredited women.I think its sad.
Florence Knoll apparently when the Eames were given the award for the La Chaise at moma in the forties felt unease at all the credit given to Charles when she knew from firsthand knowledge that it was all Ray who concieved & produced it.<span style='font-size:24'>RIDICULOUS!!!!</span>

  Reply With Quote
 
27-12-2002
  17
front row
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 276
I have a diamond chair & bird chair too.That's funny that your friends hate them.I think they are beautiful & very strong .
I also have a swan chair.I told you I went a little chair crazy! I sometimes can get carried away. My space looks like a store.ITS INSANE!!!
I urge you to buy a new swan chair if you opt to purchase one.Unless the vintage one is covered in leather or vinyl the foam breaks down and gets crunchy if it was done in any other textile.Plus the swan chair spins which can get annoying if you put your feet up.
I wanted it for years before I got one & now I need to find someone in the states to re-do the foam.That is no easy task.
Having vintage modern furniture restored is an up hill battle.People where I live anyway have totally destroyed the few pieces I was stupid enough to trust them with.a tulip stool and authentic an authentic Barcelona chair ruined because they just didn't get the dimensions right.It was a nightmare.I kept the stool in the lockbox of our truck for 3 months because it just made me sick to look at it.She used the wrong density foam and enlarged the seat to a ridiculous size.It looked like a giant mushroom. I WAS LIVID!!!!
I have box upon box of fabric to redo my Florence Knoll sofa and chair set after my cat used them as a scratching post,She was instantly de-clawed which I feel really bad for. Anywho.Im just scared they will ruin them too. Its a very odd situation to be in because I live in a loft and have very little storage and the boxes of fabric and garment racks are in my hallway which is the entrance of my home.Its very cumbersome too say the least. I keep changing my mind as to what color I want them to be and keep buying more fabric.I currently have 20 yards of red Knoll Mohawk,20 yards of Knoll Mohair Velvet in silver and two yards of the re-issued Girard facets. I was going to do the chair in the facets and re-do the sofa in red.Then I changed my mind and decided I wanted them to be done in the same color and bought the mohair velvet.
Its hard because the dealer I work with here has no good connections to any empathetic upholsterers.I have had some work done in Dallas which turned out great but I don't want to ship the sofa there to have him redo it.
STRESS!
The sofa I have is very minimal. Its the one that is tied and has no cushions.Its not the Barcelona inspired one. So the seat part is almost like a mattress.I don't think Im going to be able to find someone here to do it.
Oh well.I wont burden you with my woes.
Its great talking to you.I love mid-century modernism.

  Reply With Quote
28-12-2002
  18
V.I.P.
 
Astrid21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,761
Quote:
IMHO, Rashid is a better packaging designer than he is a furniture designer. He did some great packaging systems for Shiseido perfume and I believe his studio worked on the Prada cosmetics packaging.
Maybe that's why I like him. I'm a sucker for packaging. 8)

  Reply With Quote
31-12-2002
  19
tfs star
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,793
I dig The Bombay Company. The Lamps!!

  Reply With Quote
01-01-2003
  20
front row
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 276
Bombay Company? The mall chain store with antique repros?

  Reply With Quote
01-01-2003
  21
trendsetter
 
Angelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Quote:
IMHO, Rashid is a better packaging designer than he is a furniture designer. He did some great packaging systems for Shiseido perfume and I believe his studio worked on the Prada cosmetics packaging.
Maybe that's why I like him. I'm a sucker for packaging. 8)
So am I, Astrid, so am I. In fact, I bought some of the Prada cosmetics before I even tried them just because I liked the packaging.

I'm not a hater. I have a few industrial designer friends who love to go off about Rashid. I've actually defended his work before and even own one of his mouse pads. I would never say Rashid is completely devoid of talent, I just think the backlash against him for all his "I'm the design god" press is to be expected to a certain degree. 8)

  Reply With Quote
01-01-2003
  22
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 525
Quote:
Bombay Company? The mall chain store with antique repros?
I believe so. I like a few of their items as well, estevairevana.

  Reply With Quote
02-01-2003
  23
tfs star
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 1,793
Good Show ShadeOfRed!

  Reply With Quote
09-01-2003
  24
V.I.P.
 
Astrid21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,761
Marcel Breuer

Quote:
This Hungarian-born architect championed the International Style, a movement that stressed new technologies and "true" use of materials. He studied art in Vienna and then at the Bauhaus, where he later became a teacher. After fleeing Nazi Germany, Breuer emigrated first to Britain and then to the United States. In America, he was a key figure in the shaping of the Harvard School of Architecture.
Breuer received both criticism and accolades for a style that vacillated between feather-light and rock-solid. He was concerned with both the visual and the physical stability of his designs, and he utilized every opportunity to play with form and space. The strength and light weight of his bicycle inspired him to experiment with tubular steel in furniture design.

One of his best-known works is the "Wassily" chair (named after Wassily Kandinsky, the Bauhaus master for whose home the chair was originally designed). The tubular-steel chair, designed for residential use, was the first of its kind. Functional, linear, and solid in space, the "Wassily" chair was inspired by bicycle handlebars. It achieves a state of equipoise by using a minimum amount of materials. Its design incorporates the influences of various artistic movements -- the starkness of Bauhaus, the intersecting planes of De Stijl, and the exposed framework of the Constructivists.
The tables
<img border='0' alt='image'src=http://www.dwr.com/images/zoom/zm_0994_6.jpg>

The "Wassily" Chair
<img border='0' alt='image'src=http://www.dwr.com/images/zoom/zm_0024_1.jpg>

  Reply With Quote
09-01-2003
  25
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,617
My friend, Dennis, has two of those Wassily chairs (from Workbench, I think).
Surprisingly they are very sturdy and really comfortable.

  Reply With Quote
16-01-2003
  26
trendsetter
 
Angelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Marcel Breuer

Quote:
This Hungarian-born architect championed the International Style, a movement that stressed new technologies and "true" use of materials. He studied art in Vienna and then at the Bauhaus, where he later became a teacher. After fleeing Nazi Germany, Breuer emigrated first to Britain and then to the United States. In America, he was a key figure in the shaping of the Harvard School of Architecture.
Breuer received both criticism and accolades for a style that vacillated between feather-light and rock-solid. He was concerned with both the visual and the physical stability of his designs, and he utilized every opportunity to play with form and space. The strength and light weight of his bicycle inspired him to experiment with tubular steel in furniture design.

One of his best-known works is the "Wassily" chair (named after Wassily Kandinsky, the Bauhaus master for whose home the chair was originally designed). The tubular-steel chair, designed for residential use, was the first of its kind. Functional, linear, and solid in space, the "Wassily" chair was inspired by bicycle handlebars. It achieves a state of equipoise by using a minimum amount of materials. Its design incorporates the influences of various artistic movements -- the starkness of Bauhaus, the intersecting planes of De Stijl, and the exposed framework of the Constructivists.
The tables
<img border='0' alt='image'src=http://www.dwr.com/images/zoom/zm_0994_6.jpg>

The "Wassily" Chair
<img border='0' alt='image'src=http://www.dwr.com/images/zoom/zm_0024_1.jpg>
I the Wassily, Astrid. They are surprisingly comfortable. And sturdy. Pretty.

  Reply With Quote
16-01-2003
  27
trendsetter
 
Angelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,135
Eames Chaise.

  Reply With Quote
17-01-2003
  28
V.I.P.
 
Astrid21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,761
I that.

I also like this one:

<img border='0' alt='image'src=http://www.dwr.com/images/zoom/zm_0287_1.jpg>

I also want this one so bad, but my bf just shakes his head at me everytime I show him.

I the color of it.

<img border='0' alt='image'src=http://www.dwr.com/images/features/active_color/f_0447_apple.jpg>

  Reply With Quote
17-01-2003
  29
V.I.P.
 
trean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Belgium
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,961
*getting decoration ideas*everything is gorgeous!

  Reply With Quote
17-01-2003
  30
trendsetter
 
Angelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,135
Quote:


=I also want this one so bad, but my bf just shakes his head at me everytime I show him.

I the color of it.

<img border='0' alt='image'src=http://www.dwr.com/images/features/active_color/f_0447_apple.jpg>

My office has those chairs in the conference room, only in conservative black leather. The apple green is great, much better than predictable black leather. You need that chair, Astrid. I can imagine it, you logging on TFS, sitting in your beautiful green Eames Aluminum Group Chair. If I'm not mistaken, that's the very chair that was the inspiration for Chanel's 2005 handbag.

I've seen some places carry the white leather version. I'm seriously into white furniture right now, it's so kitschy 2001 Space Odyssey.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
furniture
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.