How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-03-2007
backstage pass

How about Amanda Lear. Muse of many musicians and artists of the 60's. In the art world, she is remembered as Salvadore Dali's Muse. He painted her portrait and she in turn painted his. Books have been written of their association. Interesting stuff.Attachment 289303

Attachment 289304

Attachment 289305

Attachment 289306

Attachment 289307

Attachment 289308

Attachment 289309

Attachment 289310 Sources: msn.groups.com/FansofAmanda and Vogue UK Dec. 1999 and amazon.com

Last edited by ruslana rules; 18-05-2007 at 02:10 AM.

29-03-2007
fashion elite

^there is a persistent rumor in France that she is, in fact, a he.

29-03-2007
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslana rules
Speaking of muses - I was just reading about Elizabeth Siddal who was a muse to Dante Gabriel Rossetti.Attachment 282186 Perhaps you might recall her as the subject of John Millais' Ophelia.Attachment 282203 She never really recovered from that icy water for her sitting in that portrait. Story goes that as she turned into her 30's, she realized she would remain a spinster as Rossetti would not marry her. She had already endured a still-born child and took to laudanum (an opiate derivative). Rossetti came home one evening to find her dead. Was the overdose accidental or suicide? It was never officially determined. But Rossetti was so distraught - he painted his final homage to her.Attachment 282199 But then he met a new wonderful muse.....Jane Burden. Attachment 282204 But then she married his best friend, printer William Morris. But that's another chapter.
its interesting that you brought this up because we were just studying the pre-raphaelite brotherhood in one of my art history classes and we were talking about the women behind the pre-raphaelite brotherhood. she was painted by not only rossetti and millais, but also holman hunt and others of the group.

and she wasnt the only one either. many girlfriends and wives of those artists were continually painted by these artists.

they really were important aspects of the art. its really fascinating

30-03-2007
tfs star

Which artists comprised the pre-Raphaelite 'brotherhood' you've been studying? The pre-Raphaelites are so my favorite...

30-03-2007
God Save McQueen

the pre-raphaelite brotherhood is another name for the pre-Raphaelites, i think. the main ones we looked at were William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais, and Dante Gabriel Rossetti

22-05-2007
trendsetter

Intriguing article. I have a nagging idea I'm meant to be a muse.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
muse