How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2009
windowshopping

Ideas for a wall mural in my apartment
So my roommates and I just moved into a huge loft and have a livin room with 20ft high ceilings. I'm looking around for some ideas as to what we can paint on our walls. It doesn't have to pertain to fashion and doesn't necessarily have to be a "mural". We are just kicking around ideas, so any input would be great.

Thanks!

01-09-2009
Geometric Discharge

You should totally do a trompe l'oeil.

ruffinidecorazioni.com
fauxforthesoul.com
trompe-l-oeil-art.com

01-09-2009
front row

I have to say that most murals are not my taste at all. You could try to fill wall space with a series of picture frames and mirrors.

My Interior Design

plasticbamboo.com

Smokeye.wordpress.com

One really cool product to consider is Ferm Living's Wall Stickers: http://www.fermlivingshop.us/stickers/

An example of their product:

2modern

01-09-2009
Power to the 99%

I would consider words or quotes ...

02-09-2009
windowshopping

I've always dreamt of having a big white empty room, where I can play around with paint (splahing, using bodyparts as stamps, etc.). So I think a "selfmade Jackson Pollock" would be very nice and something you would have a lot of fun with in the making. And IMO it's timeless and would suit nearly all styles of furniture and decoration.

kennethtangnes.files.wordpress.com

Last edited by gius; 07-09-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: please resize very large images before posting
02-09-2009
fashion icon

i love the pollock idea

06-09-2009
backstage pass

Words and quotes are a really cool idea! But I prefer them on mirrors actually. A friend of mine had the definition of reality (exactly like it's written in the dictionary, phonetic details and everything) printed on a huge mirror and it looked amazing.

07-09-2009
V.I.P.

wouldn't you like something you might not get tired of...

a bright colour, or vivid painting/picture.. you'll get sick of it after a while i think better to go with something you love but that can blend in to background... something not so domineering that can complement your furniture and your selves while you are in the room... i find intense things give me a headache and aggravate my mood.

i misplaced the pictures but i think in one of the threads in A&D forum on interior decor there was a designer who used (office?) paper to texturize the walls.. it was really beautiful, it looked natural and unique
and you can change the texture where you like.. so it doesn't have to be monotone

07-09-2009
V.I.P.

Pollock has definitely the 1950s all over on my mind (gee make a joke i'm so proud of)

Words and Quotes is good, totally !

check Lily van der Stokker, too :
http://images.google.fr/images?rlz=1...title&resnum=1

07-09-2009
trendsetter

i like the idea of loooads of frames in all different sizes and colours as opposed to a mural!

07-09-2009
V.I.P.

pollock is nice too :-) all up to you which colours you like

there's also mark rothko, kandinsky, paul klee for ideas
i guess they are called abstract expressionists

07-09-2009
don't look down

Much as I love him, I don't think I could live with a Mark Rothko homage on my wall. The idea that colour can best express the horrors of the human condition because we've reached a point where figurative painting cannot perform the task is not something I'd want to contemplate every day when I'm having my tea, and I'd probably end up reaching the same conclusion about life that he did, in the end.

So it's another vote for the self-made Jackson Pollock.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
wouldn't you like something you might not get tired of...

a bright colour, or vivid painting/picture.. you'll get sick of it after a while i think better to go with something you love but that can blend in to background... something not so domineering that can complement your furniture and your selves while you are in the room... i find intense things give me a headache and aggravate my mood.

i misplaced the pictures but i think in one of the threads in A&D forum on interior decor there was a designer who used (office?) paper to texturize the walls.. it was really beautiful, it looked natural and unique
and you can change the texture where you like.. so it doesn't have to be monotone
I like silhouettes on the wall ... not that I have any I love Georgia O'Keeffe and have several of her prints framed, including posters from shows of her work I've been to. Some of them are bright, but I don't get tired of them.

If you really got tired of it, though, you could redo it

07-09-2009
V.I.P.

that's true^ and i love o'keeffe too

it's just her wall is so huge lol
to do it again would be

but then if you do it like an abstract painter it;s fast and it also gets rid of whatever you've been bottling up for months or at least it's an attempt/idea

07-09-2009
don't look down

And everyone can join in - it can be a work of art made by everyone who lives there, all adding their own colours. It doesn't matter if they can't draw, as long as they can artfully splatter some paint in the right direction!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
apartment, ideas, mural, wall