How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2005
V.I.P.

8 / Autoband

Adhesive tape with motorway pattern. The basis for a game that allows you to learn abstract concepts related to politics, territory, public relations and lobbying. 10 x h11 cm

9 / Do scratch

Black colour lamp that allows you to draw or scratch to liberate areas where the light can shine through.

This product is stored in the museum collection of Centraal Museum Utrecht

32 x 32 x h8 cm

21-04-2005
V.I.P.

^ so cute! Shin and Tomoko Azumi

21-04-2005
front row

Its not so much a real product, but I thought I'd show you my latest project work. Its a chair that works in the 3 different positions, I was never able to make a full-sized version though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final Model 022 smaller.jpg (69.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Combined.jpg (98.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg chair smaller.jpg (44.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg chairinroomsmaller.jpg (52.6 KB, 1 views)

22-04-2005
V.I.P.

very cool paullw-nice to see a member's work for a change!

what do you envision the chair to be made of..some sort of plastic-polypropylene?..and the red padding is cushions? i like how it has multiple functions and the overall shape is very stripped down and simple. however, it seems a little precarious? it might benefit from arms.

do you have any more work?

22-04-2005
front row

Thanks, its meant to be a line bent acrylic, with in-mould coated polyurethane foam cushions, which are the red bits. They clip on to poypropylene bases which in turn clip into grooves in the body.

The idea is to reduce the number of parts from a normal reclining chair, at around 200, to just 9. It only uses 3 materials, all of which are recyclable, and can be easily separated, as there are no adhesives, and no tools necessary.

It may need arms, but the chair is quite wide, 600mm across, the widest that can fit through standard door frames. The cushions are also radiused, to try and centre the users weight.
Its actually my final Design A-Level project, I also have an internet cafe type kiosk, designed for airport and train terminals, I can try and find some CAD work from that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CushCons.jpg (54.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CushCons4.jpg (86.6 KB, 1 views)

22-04-2005
fashion insider

I love the things you've posted on the last page, Travolta, especially the salt shakers

Miura stool by Konstantin Grcic ( ) for Plank Collezioni:

Source: Plank.it

woolgathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolta
so cute! Shin and Tomoko Azumi
Those are adorable! Do you know where they're sold?

Stamp Cup by Valeria Miglioli & Barnaby Barford

Those irritating ringmarks that mugs and cups leave..... well, you can turn them into a nice floral pattern now with a set of Stamp Cups. The pattern on the base of the cup match up so you can join as many marks as you want.

Set of two mugs 29.00

www.thorstenvanelten.com

22-04-2005
elementary.

haha. i love the idea behind the stamp mugs !
so cute.

windowshopping

Industrial designers need to question why they are creating what they're designing and find ways to successfully communicate the benefits of their designs. Many of the designs posted here are beautiful and mark higher level trends that are taking place; but many of these designs seem (at first take) overly form driven or aestheticly driven. There are benefits, there are reasons that these are designed they way they are. --these designs---the one's that we as designers covet--do not speak to the general public because the designers behind them to do not speak to the public. In order for design to have a real social impact it needs to communicate successfully to consumers. That is true industrial design. Unfortunately, the designs that do get through to the masses are products like the Hummer. Or other equally destructive products--these products are created and marketed in a way that regular people can understand. There is a true gap between designers designing for other designers versus designing for real people. It is only when your forms or products can speak to the general public that true social movements can take place.

22-04-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
This is by the famous Dutch designer Gerrit Rietveld. This famous house and chair date back to the 50's or 60's I think...

And this is something I accidently found and love!

:
The De Stijl designs Rietveld did actually go back to 1918 (the red and chair) and the 1924 (the schroeder house

22-04-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Industrial designers need to question why they are creating what they're designing and find ways to successfully communicate the benefits of their designs. Many of the designs posted here are beautiful and mark higher level trends that are taking place; but many of these designs seem (at first take) overly form driven or aestheticly driven. There are benefits, there are reasons that these are designed they way they are. --these designs---the one's that we as designers covet--do not speak to the general public because the designers behind them to do not speak to the public. In order for design to have a real social impact it needs to communicate successfully to consumers. That is true industrial design. Unfortunately, the designs that do get through to the masses are products like the Hummer. Or other equally destructive products--these products are created and marketed in a way that regular people can understand. There is a true gap between designers designing for other designers versus designing for real people. It is only when your forms or products can speak to the general public that true social movements can take place.

I smell another intellectual TFSer. Welcome

I must disagree with you, however. True designers aren't driven by trends. True designers aren't driven by mass marketing. True designers don't get into design to sell. They are driven by aesthetics - and form takes function. Most designers do not cater to the mass market, the mass market wants frilly, comfortable design - most designers create a few pieces that are well loved by the masses in general, but for the most part create thigns that are not of that style because of the aesthetics that seem to contradict the common flow.

V.I.P.

glad you liked arturo and lux

lux the salt and pepper shakers are called snowman! i find it endearing only one has a mouth and the other one is missing...

you can buy them here http://www.authentics.de/

22-04-2005
fashion insider

Coincidence!

The 'Smart' Collection from authentics is designed by Konstantin Grcic as well

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
I smell another intellectual TFSer. Welcome

I must disagree with you, however. True designers aren't driven by trends. True designers aren't driven by mass marketing. True designers don't get into design to sell. They are driven by aesthetics - and form takes function. Most designers do not cater to the mass market, the mass market wants frilly, comfortable design - most designers create a few pieces that are well loved by the masses in general, but for the most part create thigns that are not of that style because of the aesthetics that seem to contradict the common flow.
Thanks for the welcome Arturo21, these are my first posts...

I totally understand where you're coming from, and i agree that designers don't get into design to sell. Designers, i dont think, are driven by aesthetics either. That is where the line between art and design can be drawn (albeit a blurry line). Designers are inherently problem solvers. The mass market doesnt want frilly, comfortable design. The mass market doesnt know what they want. When you watch regular people interact with the objects in their home you can really start to understand what they have vs. what they actually want/need--or how they behave with an object vs. how they may have been intended to behave with an object. It is our job as designers to understand these relationships and find solutions that truely address issues that a user may have created workarounds for.
Style and aesthetics are important. In products, as in fashion, they speak to the user first. Aesthetics are the designer's voice. It is important to understand who you are speaking to and what tone you choose so that you do not lose your audience.

23-04-2005
fashion insider

^I assume this, all you have said here, represents the blurry line. Design, for me at least, is an art. Not the same art as Fine Art, but it is an art. Designers are aesthetes, for the most part, otherwise I don't consider them designers - I consider them engineers, or the like. I believe most designers don't speak to the general public, they only speak to a select few, mainly aesthetes like the designers themselves. Let's take Boffi for an example, the designers know that the general public won't have such minimal design in their homes. The general masses want what they can find at Haverty's. Classic design. Most designers, however, don't necessarily create classic designs. Those are out. I've never seen a green Chenille couch with marroon and gold floral patterned pillows with a silver edge be considered industrial design, for example.

Designers create somethign with their "aesthetic intuition", and, as I have said (And I know I"m quoting a famous designer, just can't remember who ) -form (the aesthetic aspect) takes function...

Voila. It works, and it's beautiful.

Great points. I hope you post more often here and in the general designers forum

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
design, industrial