How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

travolta...you don;t like the maracas salt and pepper shakers??...

Add salt and pepper to your salad by shaking the salt and pepper shakers as you would maracas. A design that adds fun to spicing up your food.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gs_item_picts_002.jpg (11.8 KB, 214 views)

28-04-2005

or the torch aka flashlight?...
http://www.plusminuszero.jp/store/torch_blu.html

This torch is shaped like a light bulb. It seems strange to have a light bulb that glows even when it isn't plugged in to a light socket. Whenever you need a torch, you can never remember where you put it last. But if you have a cordless light bulb hung up someplace, you're sure to be able to find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torch_b_img_01.jpg (10.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg torch_b_img_02.jpg (27.7 KB, 1 views)

28-04-2005

i like playful designs with a sense of humour or irony...
as well as things that evoke other things...but used in a new and clever way...

i also like things that are attractive ...yet practical...things that enhance your life in BOTH a visual and functional way...
as far as i'm concerned...'if it isn't useful, it's useless...'

i also just think these colours are not the ones usually found in household appliances and electronics...which also makes them attractive to me..

28-04-2005
V.I.P.

i didn't see those. they are cute. i think that is the best example of their mission statement of making products into art. i do agree products also should enrich people's lives in more ways than function...i went through art college making baby mats inspired by psychedelic pop art with phallic shaped sensory tubes (see yayoi kusama) the idea was to have a baby mat/ and a high art rug in one...hasboro took it well...
they are not bad products...they just don't set themselves apart from all the others they are critical of.

edit: it just seems like the market place is as they said on their website full of stuff...there is a lot of novelty products these days..it's too bad they didn't elevate above it, but then again to each his own

Last edited by travolta; 28-04-2005 at 12:18 AM.
30-04-2005
fashion insider

Simplicity of Japan - they work with traditonal Japanese techniques and put them into modern form as they say on their website. The label works with industrial and interior design.

Here are some from their Simplicity Super Studio collection - the industrial design collection.

Porcelain:

Ceramic:

Iron:

Urushi:

Pewter:

Bronze:

Sorry there are so many pictures.
I love the textures and materials, and the beautiful forms - traditional, yet modern. This is what I like to call "minimalist extravagance". This may not at first seem 'industrial' but it is more like 'product design' and the 'industrial arts'.

Last edited by Arturo21; 30-04-2005 at 11:49 AM.
30-04-2005
V.I.P.

thanks for posting those arturo. everything is really well photographed. i really would like to own a lot ot these...here are some more i like... http://www.simplicity.co.jp/index10_e.html

30-04-2005

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Slid...eurodesign.xml

The European Design Show runs from May 28 to Sept 4, 2005 celebrating the best in design over the past couple of years, from furniture to biscuits to multimedia.
www.designmuseum.org

01-05-2005
rising star

Is this Industrial Design?
I love this thread, but here is something I want to share with everyone.

In my first industrial design class, professor ask us if this world needs another chair, lamp, another designer dinning set? Truth is, we don’t’ really need any, there is enough out there already. Each product produce waste that is about 10 times its size, all the packaging, foam, bubble rapping, box and energy used to manufacture.

A lot of so called industrial designs out there are like fashion. Yes, there is always something new, but how many time do you buy a pair of shoes because you wear out last pair? Or have you ever wear out a pair of shoes? I know I never.

Than he showed us a documentary about a British inventor who designed the first clockwork radio, he designed it because he knows the only way to stop AIDS to spread out at Africa is to educate people about this deadly virus. He’s name is Trevor Baylis, his wind-up radio requires no energy expect little force to wind the spring. His design is copyright free, he is happy to teach any one to make it. His design is not pretty or designed with a modern look, because it only serves one function- pass on the message. The clockwork radio is fully assembled at Africa, it allows people with disable to have a job with fair pay. The factory is non-profit, what they earn from Africa is give back to the land, the price is low so everyone can afford it. After the tape, a lot of people cry, because it is such a touching story.

Here is another design- The Turbo Pot by Tapio Niemi, from Massive Change
Very ugly, but it is light weight, cheap to produce, can be assembled in very short time without tools, most importantly it burns fuel efficiently and operates on bio-energy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (115.9 KB, 3 views)

01-05-2005

cypresses...what a great post!!...
wonderfully informative....really makes you think...

01-05-2005
woolgathering

Softgrey...I absolutely that humidifier.

Arturo...Thanks so much for the Simplicity Super Studio link and pics. What can I say except "wow"!

01-05-2005
fashion insider

Your welcome, luxmode and travolta
Cypresses - very enlightening indeed..you should post here more often. However, I must disagree with your description of the turbo pot - I think it's beautiful

fashion insider

^To add to my post above, and the whole "function takes form", etc - Out of need, the most sophisticated forms can be developed. This pot was formed out of the need for a cheap, light weight and efficient, yet I find it beautiful. There is definately, to me at least, a good aesthetic there. So many beautiful things have been created out of need. I first "discovered" this simply browsing through Architectural Digest's Great Design issue where I found a pair of African ladders - a beautiful form created out of need. Yesterday I went to the bookstore and found a National Geographic book on fashion, titled..oh yes, you guessed it - "Fashion". (On a side note, I definately recommend it, beautiful photography, inspiring quotes from famous designers and such, and it deals with ancient fashion to modern high-end fashion).

Anyway, I saw tons of beautiful things that these people wore to keep warm, to carry things, to distinguish themselves as powerful leaders, etc. In my head, I then created modern versions and imagined outfits in my own style using those same concepts. Beautiful things can indeed be created out of need, it's just one of those great things in life.

backstage pass

So many great things here. Great thread

02-05-2005
V.I.P.

here's the website for the Industrial Designers Society of America

http://www.idsa.org/

plywood chair 1947.

by charles and ray eames --his wife and collaborater. this design came about after experimenting with plywood and using that research to produce leg splints for the navy in wwII. the rights to the chairs were bought by the Herman Miller Furniture Company. they are also available through the MOMA store.

Last edited by travolta; 02-05-2005 at 02:53 PM.
02-05-2005
rising star

I went to a show called Massive Change recently, and there’s a section about military design, ironically, the power that was originally designed to destroy or cause damage often finds their way into our every day life. It shows the development of military weapon and science is actually the strongest force that pushes the evolution of daily life design. Things like Microwave, hammer, 3D simulating programs... ext.

Of course, Eames’s splint is also on display. During the process of redesigning, Charles wore the original splint and plasters mold to experience the problem, then trimmed and slotted into a more comfortable (it will never be comfortable with a broken leg) by hands.

the part i don't get is, the final design is made out of plywood or metal? The photo i attached is made of metal, but i also saw a plywood one somewhere else.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg splint.jpg (47.8 KB, 2 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
design, industrial