How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

well sure strawbutterb...furniture design falls under industrial design...
and could certainly go in either thread...i'm just saying ...since we already started putting it in interior design...for the sake of consistency and to make it easier if one wanted to look things up...it's just better to have it organized that way

there no question that it is also industrial design...
but not all industrial design is furniture...
sports equipment...for example...

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
great thread softie. That bike looks so cool! hehe I haven't said that in a long time but it really does.

That windsurfing shoe however....it grosses me out for some reason. Just looking at it weirds me out. I think it's because it looks like your feet would be covered in tentacles. :shudders:
Me too! It looks like if you put that shoe on the design will spread to your body....

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
well sure strawbutterb...furniture design falls under industrial design...
and could certainly go in either thread...i'm just saying ...since we already started putting it in interior design...for the sake of consistency and to make it easier if one wanted to look things up...it's just better to have it organized that way

there no question that it is also industrial design...
but not all industrial design is furniture...
sports equipment...for example...
I understand your point..but if you put this stuff under Industrial Design you are able to create a discussion about what is going on in industrial design and as the aspects of it:manufactoring processes, technology etc..

It isn't just aesthetics...I would say that would be more interior design..pieces that are solely used as end products..

Yes, I do agree there should be more photos of other types of industrial design aside from furniture..and i will post them.

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbutterb
interior design

n 1: the trade of planning the layout and furnishings of an architectural interior [syn: interior decoration] 2: the branch of architecture dealing with the selection and organization of furnishings for an architectural interior

I studied industrial design..I know what it is. You could say products are used in interior design..but it is definately not the same thing. The products do represent greater trends...I do agree boontje and droog design are not IKEA..but that is irrevelent.. When I was speaking about custom design...that is a trend-look at IKEA and their tables that you can customize with different color legs.. and so is different ways to examine sustainablity. By reusing materials usually discarded such as clothing and felt is something completely feasible and is smart design. Sustainability isn't really a trend at all..but it is something every product design firm is looking into. Even if these pieces are artistic...they are still relevent to speak about and are certainly industrial design.
Thanks for that amazing dictionary entry. You really enlightened me.

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
Thanks for that amazing dictionary entry. You really enlightened me.
whoa..is this sarcasm?

28-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
I understand your point..but if you put this stuff under Industrial Design you are able to create a discussion about what is going on in industrial design and as the aspects of it:manufactoring processes, technology etc..

It isn't just aesthetics...I would say that would be more interior design..pieces that are solely used as end products..

Yes, I do agree there should be more photos of other types of industrial design aside from furniture..and i will post them.
i agree...and maybe you could have a look in the interior design thread...
there are some pretty amazing things posted there...
faust actually posted and owns the light fixture posted here...
perhaps we should merge the two?...

Last edited by softgrey; 28-01-2005 at 03:24 PM.
28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
whoa..is this sarcasm?
What else did you condescending post deserve?

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
I understand what you are saying, but it is interior design after all. These are furniture/furnishings = interior design. Yes, they are made with different technologies, but they are definitely not trends, they are anomolies. They generate buzz, yes, but they are impossible to produce in numbers. Droog Design stuff is the prime example - that firm exists solely on government grants, they have not brought substential revenue to support themselves.
I apologize if it was condescending...but I didn't know how else to say that is was industrial design! I'm being honest.. Industrial Design isn't even in dictionary.com and many people i have spoken to are unclear exactly what it is..so i figured it was the best way to clarify it. You seemed to be pretty set on your definition so I figured i'd paste that in..didnt mean to offend

28-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

alright...settle down...
industrial design is a big part of interior design...no one is right and no one is wrong...we have a good topic...let's not destroy it...please...

who's got more pics?!?!...

28-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i actually got a dissertation(sp?) from my ex boyfriend the architect about the difference btw interior design and interior decorating...

maybe the other thread should be called interior decorating?...since it's not really about designing anything but about decorating an interior?...
would that satisfy all the critics?...

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
alright...settle down...
industrial design is a big part of interior design...no one is right and no one is wrong...we have a good topic...let's not destroy it...please...

who's got more pics?!?!...
Ok Ok soft grey... I have to say this has been the most interesting, involved discussion i have had yet! Thats a good thing...i appreciate the other points of view..

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
i actually got a dissertation(sp?) from my ex boyfriend the architect about the difference btw interior design and interior decorating...

maybe the other thread should be called interior decorating?...since it's not really about designing anything but about decorating an interior?...
would that satisfy all the critics?...
yes, indeed soft grey

28-01-2005
Swim Upstream

i like the flippers. they look cool. like one of those weird green poisonous frogs.
the flippers & the windsurf slipper are very organic looking. the slipper has suckers like an octopus.

28-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

thanks strawbutterb...
faust?...do you mind if we modify the name of the other thread?

i do appreciate the things you wrote along with the pictures you posted strawbutterb...

28-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
I apologize if it was condescending...but I didn't know how else to say that is was industrial design! I'm being honest.. Industrial Design isn't even in dictionary.com and many people i have spoken to are unclear exactly what it is..so i figured it was the best way to clarify it. You seemed to be pretty set on your definition so I figured i'd paste that in..didnt mean to offend
Apology accepted. I found your post condescending because instead of explaining what you think the difference is in your own words you pointed to a dictionary.

Softie, I think we should keep the old thread under "interior design", because we don't really discuss there how to arrange furniture, but the objects themselves. And "furniture design" doesn't sound too good :p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
design, industrial