How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2005
V.I.P.

The wick inside the tubes soaks up the lamp oil, with the lamp then producing a flickering flame of about 3 cm in height when lit. The oil and wick can be renewed, giving unlimited life-span.

I've seen a couple variations of this using light bulbs and copper...it reminds you of an incense holder. I like the idea a lot..a very naturalistic look, but its renewable and practical. But I'm not too fond of the container..it looks arbitary..if anything it should reflect what is going on in the container.

@ dutchbydesign.com

Last edited by strawbutterb; 17-02-2005 at 01:56 AM.

17-02-2005
windowshopping

Auturo21 that interior design is absolutely droooooool worthy I am in

V.I.P.

Yes, they are good books. Spoon has a great selection of contemporary industrial design. If you check out Collapsible check out Blow-Up: Inflatable Art, Architecture and Design. 50 Beds is great because it shows construction methods and materials--it's a bit do it yourself.

17-02-2005
V.I.P.

This is a pop-up card that can also be used as gift tag, gift ornament, decoration, ornament sticker...The recipient opens the box, unfolds the Bloom which can be stuck on objects because there is a sticker in the back...

I like you can reuse it. It would be even cooler if it was a simple kit that a child or teenager could cut and fold together and create their own pop up cards. They could break away from the floral design into things such as animals, stars etc...

18-02-2005
V.I.P.

Does anyone have any mirror suggestions? I need one. Don't want to spend too much, though.

18-02-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist
This is one of the coolest things I've seen lately: radiator by Joris Laarman, in the DroogDesign collection. The spreading leaf design actually serves a practical purpose, too, it distributes heat more efficiently. (Got the pics from jorislaarman.com)
beautiful...love that...all this stuff is so gorgeous and so expensive...

19-02-2005
More Old Skool Than You

I could make that radiator and maybe make it look like vines. Get some 3/8" copper tubing and some copper wire. You braze the wire onto the tubing after bending the tubing as intricate as you want. Then, cut out some leaves from some sheet copper and braze those on. Viola, an efficient vine-like radiator in an art nouveau style. I would also spread the stems apart to allow for better heat dissipation.

I would say that is the best example of industrial design, things that are used, abused and often taken for granted. I cannot see how designer chairs can be real industrial design, as I cannot see them in a real industrial environment. Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel industrial design shouldn't be about asthetics as much as it should be about material and function.

What defines industrial design to you guys?

V.I.P.

i agree--industrial design is material and function. I was taught form meets function, and everything should be accounted for--there is a bottom line. At the same time, though, I appreciate aesethics and concept...there are a lot of people who are skilled, but not a lot of people who can think conceptually. An industrial designer's duty is to create something practical and cost effective for the consumer...but when it reflects something beyond that it becomes so much more.
I think a part is its aesthetics as a selling point as well--just with fashion--people want to buy things that will compliment their lifestyle and look good...the imac is a good example of smart design that incorprates both...And if you create a product that is conceptually strong..that has something meaningful to say and reflect about our culture it creates an even greater dimension... I look at fabricas webite as a example of conceptual driven work that has real relevance...but not all of it is practical in a user friendly sense...but they are doing some interesting stuff.
Personally, my work usually veers toward the conceptual, aesthetic side because i am better suited for that...but i have a great respect for purity of materials...industrial design is almost simplistic in a sense...everything boils down to simplicity..how many pieces can be repeated in a mold etc...but if you just churn out ****..you get lazy and it doesn't matter what you are making if in the end you are making crap...I worked with Hasboro toys which is a huge global toy chain..and a lot of the stuff they make we'd be better off without--it really serves no purpose in terms of enriching lives with their toys which is a shame because they have a great opportunity to create something for children..but so much of it is trendy and aimed at the uninformed parent..so...its both. In the end industrial designs purpose is to be critical and fill in a gap in the market...but it is interpreted in different ways

Last edited by strawbutterb; 19-02-2005 at 04:12 AM.
19-02-2005
woolgathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist
This is one of the coolest things I've seen lately: radiator by Joris Laarman, in the DroogDesign collection. The spreading leaf design actually serves a practical purpose, too, it distributes heat more efficiently. (Got the pics from jorislaarman.com)
I think these are amazing. I saw some smaller radiators he did as well...they were just as beautiful and maybe a bit more practical. Anyway, I just love his work so far.

19-02-2005
woolgathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbutterb
Ooh, I just saw this post...she is one of my favorite designers! Very clever woman, no? I am totally besotted with her work...and most Dutch design...it's hopeless really

I am definitely going to get one of these lamps...some day.

19-02-2005
woolgathering

Since we're talking about Hella, I couldn't resist posting this piece...

B-Jug / Delfts Blue Jug. Porcelain and bronze, 2001.

www.jongeriuslab.com www.mossonline.com or www.frozenfountain.nl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bjug.jpg (22.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by luxmode; 19-02-2005 at 11:05 AM.
27-02-2005
V.I.P.

thanks for the links and pic lux! i'm going to save them and forward them to my friends.. i'm quite fond of the piece you posted...it looks like a really subtle touch..but i love the fasteners--it makes you think of the different combinations you can come up with mixing and matching pieces. you should check out my friends stuff..very simple, purist design philosophy...i'm sure you'd like the droog stuff as well.

http://www.portfolios.com/profile.html?MyUrl=EdReding

Last edited by strawbutterb; 27-02-2005 at 05:34 PM.
27-02-2005
V.I.P.

http://www.inekehans.com

i think i'm in love!!!

28-02-2005
woolgathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbutterb
thanks for the links and pic lux! i'm going to save them and forward them to my friends.. i'm quite fond of the piece you posted...it looks like a really subtle touch..but i love the fasteners--it makes you think of the different combinations you can come up with mixing and matching pieces. you should check out my friends stuff..very simple, purist design philosophy...i'm sure you'd like the droog stuff as well.

http://www.portfolios.com/profile.html?MyUrl=EdReding
Your friend is very talented. The lights are great...the cloud stool and table too! Thanks for the link. Also, I love Droog. I have three books about their collaborations and have been following the collective very closely. I like the Ineke stuff you posted as well -- her work is so playful...yet not too heavy-handed, which is great.

I'm happy you appreciate the subtle beauty of the B-Jug, I really hope to own it one day

28-02-2005
backstage pass

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet... but Moss in Soho has some really cool stuff. Lots of Alessi, Phillipe Starke and various other designer pieces. Really cool stuff, and set up very much like the functional art section of MoMA.

www.mossonline.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
design, industrial