How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-01-2004
rising star

Interior Decorating - Ideas for changing your room
Hi everyone,
I hope it is appropriate to post something about interior design. I really want to re-do my room, but I need some good ideas....I am NOT good at interior decorating at all. I tend to mix too many themes together. I tend to go for modern designs but I am open to anything. I hope someone can help me! Thanks.

29-01-2004
V.I.P.

I just redecorated my room, great topic by the way!

29-01-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Jan 29th, 2004 - 2:37 pm
I just redecorated my room, great topic by the way!
SO how did you decorate!?!

29-01-2004
seagreen serenades

I decorate anything that stays still long enough. Tis a serious problem but I'll live through it.

29-01-2004
front row

I love interior decorating sooooooooo much. I will move this year and I'm looking forward to decorate my apartment.

I would say stick to a few colors. It will give the eye a little "rest" and it will look more well composed. Don't mix different typs of dark and light woods. Stick to one type.

I personally have my walls light pink , yes that is my favourite color. All furnitures are white or in light wood.

A great idea is to pick up several decorating magazines for ideas.

29-01-2004
backstage pass

If your going for modern, the classics are always nice and somewhat affordable... such as items from Ray and Charles Eames, George Nelson, Isamu Noguchi, Girard, etc. ....

In my opinion the key to modern is too keep it as simple and clean as possible... the less furniture the better. Some great modern furniture sites.

www.dwr.com
www.retromodern.com
www.circa50.com
www.modernica.com

30-01-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Jan 29th, 2004 - 11:33 pm
I decorate anything that stays still long enough. Tis a serious problem but I'll live through it.
Me too! I'm having so much fun decorating my apartment!

italianice, why don't you tell us a little bit about what your room looks like (size, furniture etc., maybe post some pics?), and what look you might want to go for, that way it might be easier to give you some ideas

30-01-2004
V.I.P.

Ohhh, sorry, but of course, HOW did I decorate my room?

Well, I decided to go against the genaral 'trend' and go for classical furnishings' but with clean soft lines and bright colours. I bought rosewood and maplewood funiture. My bed is mahogany. My computer is in my room but doesnt look to bad and my 34 inch TV is taking up a big space in it too.

I painted the walls a very light darker than cream colour and put down a carpet as hardwood flooring can get sooo cold (believe me, I used to have it). This is 'a slightly' different shade to the wall.

I have a massive table, it's definately too big but I like it and it adds character to the room.
I just put in some slit blinds as well. At night when the moonbeams slip into my room, I feel like a detective in a Crime Noir film.

The most important thing to consider when you decorate you room is light. How much light comes in and so on. If you room isnt very big, paint it a bright colour. Don't clutter your room too much, especially with modern furnature.
Finally, a bit of advice. Going for the minimalist look is risky. It will work if you constantly clean and maintain it, it wont work if you 'live' in it.

Well I think I've said enough (for now). Why dont you tell us about your room, like how big it is, which direction the window is facing and other things. There you have it!

01-02-2004
rising star

Hi everyone,
sorry i haven't responded, but I'm out of town for the weekend, so not at my computer as much...well, I live in a typical"college apartment, right now my room has boring while walls, tan carpet, there is one window that faces the North, I don't get a lot of sunlight in the room....
i do tend to go toward the "minimalist" look, i hate clutter, busy patterns, etc.
whenever I am home, I usually spend the majority of time in my room...i dont use my room to study or do work, so basically I want my room to be a nice space to relax in. I will try and post a picture of my current room when I am back in town. Thanks for everyone's help! Have a wonderful weekend!

01-02-2004
tfs star

Since your room is north facing I would go for light warm colours (cream perhaps, to match the carpet?). Lighting is also key for getting the right atmosphere in a room.

Personally I'm not too fond of the minimalist look, I don't like clutter, but I'm more for a relaxed and easygoing look...If you do want the minimalist look make sure you have enough storage to keep all your clutter out of sight, and make the room interesting with different textures on furniture/fabrics etc.

I will wait until you post a pic to give any more tips

02-02-2004
V.I.P.

Ohhh, a north facing window, you will have to choose a bright colour for the walls, but try to create an atmosphere, you can experiment with lighting.
Clutter does ruin a room, but the minimalist approach leaves one big question! Where is all your stuff gonna go? Try to make a compromise, buy nice furnature and if you do want the minimalist look, make sure thre are plenty of places to put everything, like drawers or hidey holes and the like.

White walls can work by the way. I once saw a white room that would of been dull were it not for a large classical gold framed mirror.

Good luck!

02-02-2004
V.I.P.

Personally, I love colour! Since you don't have large windows and won't be getting a lot of light in your room, I would select a warmer shade to give it added warmth. I would stay away from stark colours like plain white and cold blues. I think you should go for a warm, buttery shade such as a soft yellow. This would help to brighten up your space and lend it a feeling of cozyness.

02-02-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

But I like the dark...

V.I.P.

Prince, you shold get slit blinds like I do, youu can turn off all the lights and at night, these strips of moonlight appear all over you room, very, 'DR Strange Love' if you ask me!

02-02-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

It all sounds very Maltese Falcon but I have nice emerald-green velvet curtains and I can't be bothered to replace them as they weigh a tonne...I'm not sure my other bedroom has any curtains so maybe I'll put blinds up in there. It's in the country where they have no streetlamps so there should be lots of moonlight.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
changing, decorating, ideas, interior, room