How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-03-2011
Spring of Córdoba

John Bauer (1882-1918)

John Bauer (June 4, 1882 – November 20, 1918) was a Swedish painter and illustrator best known for his illustrations of Bland tomtar och troll (Among Gnomes and Trolls). Princess Tuvstarr and the Fishpond (named after Carex cespitosa), painted in 1913, is perhaps Bauer's most notable work.

spiritoftheages,monsterbrains,flickr: plum leaves,wikipedia

Last edited by ParadEyes; 24-03-2011 at 02:14 AM.

04-04-2011
scenester

I love John Bauer. My parents took me to the John Bauer Museum in Jönköping when I was little and I've been hooked ever since. His paintings just me such a sense of home, while they still scare me sometimes. I can't really explain it properly.

04-04-2011
girl who fell to earth

these definitely have a bit of a sinister, magical, fairy-tale element to them, but they're quite lovely

they've kind of got a beautiful glow that draws you in

thanks for the thread paradeyes

05-04-2011
Spring of Córdoba

^Welcome I agree about that crafted "glow". I wish I can learn more about his technique. Perfect illustration style for fairytales.

Spring of Córdoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meym View Post
I love John Bauer. My parents took me to the John Bauer Museum in Jönköping when I was little and I've been hooked ever since. His paintings just me such a sense of home, while they still scare me sometimes. I can't really explain it properly.
How old were you? I wonder to which age group his fairytales were targetted? they might be a bit too spooky for younger children..but captivating for sure.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadEyes View Post
How old were you? I wonder to which age group his fairytales were targetted? they might be a bit too spooky for younger children..but captivating for sure.
I think I was about 9 or 10, but I'm pretty sure I'd seen his pictures before we went to the museum. My grandmother had shown me old copies of a swedish fairytale collection called Bland tomtar och troll, which is published around christmas every year. So I guess I'd say his fairytales were targetted towards a pretty young audience.

06-04-2011
girl who fell to earth

so many fairy-tales are surprisingly dark, so i wouldn't be surprised if his work was geared to a young audience...
but it also looks like something adults can enjoy looking at and appreciate as well...

i think the fact that we're sitting here discussing it is proof of that

19-04-2011
windowshopping

From his work, sometimes I feel scary, sometime I feel happy, and sometimes, I feel only peace, like a spring water my little heart. Sorry for his early death.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bauer, john