How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-11-2007
V.I.P.

Made of Paper
from their website
http://www.woodnotes.fi/
Quote:

Woodnotes is a Finnish design company founded by Ritva and Mikko Puotila in 1987. Ritva Puotila is a notable Finnish textile artist, who has become famous both in Finland and abroad, receiving numerous awards and grants for her work as designer and textile artist. The original idea behind Woodnotes products is to combine an artistic creativity inspired by the rigours of Finnish nature with advanced technological solutions to utilizing the basic Finnish raw materials, wood and paper.

Today, Woodnotes offers an aesthetic total concept which can be applied to various functions and interiors. The company produces a large collection of spun paper yarn carpets and a wide range of other spun paper yarn products such as blinds and partitions, place mats and table runners, bags and home accessories, pieces of furniture, cushions and upholstery fabrics and a collection of hand woven paper yarn reliefs.

Although the product line has grown over the years, Woodnotes still holds the original idea of creating products from paper yarn:
“We were the first in the world to use paper yarn in a modern way in functional interior textiles, using it for its own sake and on its own terms, not as a substitute for some other materials”

The pure and simple design of the company’s spun paper yarn products provides an appropriate counterpoint to modern interior design. The aesthetic characters of everyday beauty, simplicity, harmony, and the poetic spirit are expressed in clear forms. They reflect Finnish characteristics and provide a counterbalance to the huge information flow of modern world. The spun paper yarn is made from wood which is a genuinely natural, durable material containing the picture of the past preserved memory. The company name, Woodnotes, combines the durable characteristics of wood with lighter, artistic notes.

Woodnotes products are known for their pure design and high quality all over the world. Woodnotes currently exports 75 % of its output to about 50 countries. Its products are sold through the world’s leading interior and designs shops and showrooms.

Last edited by gius; 16-11-2007 at 02:42 PM.

16-11-2007
V.I.P.

Fisherman's Scarf / Seaborn Throw
hand-knitted
(scarf is linen; throw is paper)

Placemats & Table Runners
cotton warp, paper weft

Beach Bag / Sand Shoulder Bag

16-11-2007
V.I.P.

Box container

Round container

Newspaper Stand

16-11-2007
V.I.P.

Products being used ...

haiku-futon, mocoloco, markanto.de

16-11-2007
V.I.P.

The original designer..Ritva Puotila

Some of her work

Quote:
Besides industrial design, Ritva Puotila’s rich expression is demonstrated by the textiles of the Woodnotes studio collection. Points form a limited serie of 30 x 40 cm sized paper yarn reliefs with the artist’s autograph. Points are hand-woven and they can be used individually or several reliefs combined.

These are from http://www.architonic.com/cat/8102033/1
More can be found there

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

Paper Yarnfrom Japan

Quote:
Shifu (Clothing Woven With Washi yarns)

Washi paper is cut into long, narrow ribbon-like strips which are twisted on a spinning wheel, then woven like silk or cotton, traditionally on a handloom. For the warp and the weft of this paper fabric, there are cases in which silk or cotton is used for the warp but when woven there is little difference from ordinary cloth.

Properties
Paper fabric has the drawback of tearing when it becomes wet in the rain but paper fabric can be laundered. Its tradition still remains, although on a limited scale now, as high-class clothing.

Paper yarns give a fabric a very nice dry and crispy hand
swicofil

Some fabric samples...

Japanese robe made from paper yarn

Shiroishi Shifu
  • 1. Produced in Shiroishi City, Miyagi Prefecture.
  • 2.Characteristics: Woven on a loom with silk warp and weft of paper threads produced by twisting cut up handmade paper. Well ventilated, light and soft, and durable.
  • 3. Uses: Once widely used for summer cloth. Today, for pouches and small items.
  • 4. History: Good quality paper was produced in this district in the Edo Period. The cloths were first made as a side business by the warrior class. The quality was improved and demand increased since the fabric became one of the items used as gifts to the Shogun. With the end of the feudal system at the Meiji Restoration (1868) the production came to an end. A Chutaro Sato revived the production and the fabric became a useful substitute to meet the lack of textile in the years of WWII.

kimono.or.jp

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

paper fabrics produced by Nuno Corporation

left: Combed Paper (sukigami)
right: Patched Paper (yaburegami)

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

Waterproof coat made of paper

Quote:
Catalogue no:
Botanical classification:
MORACEAE Broussonetia kazinokii
Donor:
Sir Harry Parkes
Donor date:
Geographical origin:
Japan

This oiled paper coat is waterproof. Several paper items in the Parkes collection, including sandal covers and a coat, were oiled by their makers in order to make them resistant to the rain. Imagine what happens to a normal piece of paper when it gets wet. That the Japanese developed a technique to make waterproof clothing out of paper is remarkable. It is said that these items even resemble leather in appearance.
kew.org

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

Jacket made of bark cloth

Quote:
....a versatile material made from beaten tree bark, once used widely in the Pacific Islands and Indonesia . Bark cloth comes primarily from trees of the Moraceae family, including Broussonetia papyrifera, Artocarpus altilis, and Ficus spp. It is made by beating strips of the fibrous inner bark of these trees into sheets, which are then finished into a variety of items.

The main use of bark cloth is for clothing. ....
kew.org

for Bark cloth in the Philippines...
http://class.csueastbay.edu/anthropo...s/Textiles.htm

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

thanks to coq* via the Lighting thread

(www.ingo-maurer.com)

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

Eriko Horiki
http://www.eriko-horiki.com/e/index.htm Al

all made from Japanese mulberry paper

(second is Alkas Sasebo 2000 in Nagasaki, Japan)

For more, check also http://www.kozaidesigns.com/

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

paper-inspired fabric...
originally posted by ETROsexualJ
----------

2 other "paper" subsets are that Fed-Ex envelope material that they are making packable jackets out of.
There is also the Jil Sander "graph paper" polyester.

(his photo)

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

paper dresses by TAO of comme des garcons
S/S 07

photos taken by nqth

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

originally posted by SomethingElse

Poppy Necklace and Daisy Ring of paper only

Origami Earrings and Pin of paper and wire and beads

Post Earrings made of flax and wire

uptoyoutoronto.com . thepapercraneorigami.com . jbeelsdesign.com

30-11-2007
V.I.P.

some more by SomethingElse

Mildred Avendano in Canada who makes paper/cloth clothing at http://www.milaven.com. She hand sews organic pieces from pineapple fabric and paper cloth made using traditional Japanese weaving and starching techniques.

milaven.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
paper